The following post is co-authored by DPS author Neil Creek and his wife Naomi. Naomi is a graphic designer with twenty one years experience as a layout professional. They recently colaborated on a photo book – A Roadtrip Through Southeast Australia. This post draws upon that experience.
You can give your photos a more professional appearance, show your work to a wider audience and add impact through story, by creating an electronic photo book from your work.
The Solo Photo Book Month, or participating in photography projects, and we were planning a short roadtrip right in the middle of the project window, so it was a perfect opportunity. We’ll use this book as a case study.called on photographers to “make solo photo books start to finish, in 31 days, at more or less the same time.” Neil loves
Why a Photo eBook?
- It forces you to select your very best photos
- It presents your best photos in a neat and attractive format
- You can tell a story and increase your photos’ impact
- People are more likely to look at a small collection of high quality images than a big unfiltered gallery
- Being in a self-contained book format makes it easy for people to pass around to their friends
- You have complete control over the presentation, look and associated information rather than being tied to a web site’s style
- You sound so much cooler saying “Would you like to see my book?” than “Would you like my flickr address?”
- It’s something novel and will make people more likely to remember your work
Why Electronic Format?
- It’s essentially free, a high quality printed book can be very expensive per copy
- It’s easy to put together without worrying about the often mysterious demands of print
- It can be done with cheap or free tools that anyone can download
- You can include interactive elements such as hotlinks and multimedia content
- You can reproduce and distribute it with little effort
- For the above reason it can be seen by so many more people
- You can easily make revisions or corrections, even once the book has “gone live”