Close
Close
Page 3 of 4 First 1234 Last
    PhotogAve is offline averylocklearphotography

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Burnett View Post
    I agree that this is sad, but I don't think the poster presented this in any disrespectful or distasteful manner. This is part of life. It happens, whether we choose to acknowledge it or not.

Great photography stirs all kinds of emotions; in the artist and the viewer. These images are no different, and FAR LESS graphic/emotional than 99.9% of photo-journalistic shots out there.

Whether or not these photos were shot with artistic intent, I think the first image is great; it tells a story, the composition is cool, and it definitely stirs emotions within me. The second image however, doesn't do anything for me.

Although this may upset some viewers, and it is very sad, I must say kudos to you for capturing something that most people would be too afraid/upset to capture. Morbid curiosity is not only ok, it's human nature! Just don't take it too far...

This is MY opinion. I don't expect anyone to agree or argue it; it's just the way I think.

It is very interesting to see the many reactions to this; you didn't post this as an experiment for a human psych class did you
    Agree.

If you don't like the photo, don't look at it. You were warned.
    I've seen much more disturbing photographs from photojournalists. And yes, that is their job, but still, it's disturbing.

I'm sure we all post pictures of things other people would never think twice about.

These photos tell a story.

This is my opinion, everyone has their own.

candidrachel is offline I can see the sea!

How sad! Someones beloved pet dog. I only looked at the first photo because I couldn't look at any more.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/rachelgingell/

"Do not wait, the time will never be just right. Start where you stand and work with whatever tools you may have at your command, and better tools will be found as you go along" - Napoleon Hill

CaptainNH is offline dPS Forum Member

These images do absolutely nothing for me and personally I wouldn't have taken them, let alone posted them.

That said, I think as photographers we need to be more understanding of a diverse range of subjects. Some of the most powerful and emotive images ever to appear in print (and on tv) have included images of death. Death is equally a part of our society as birth or life.

I have in my portfolio some very dramatic images of the rituals of cremation at the burning ghats in the Indian holy city of Varanasi (Banaras), but they stay in my personal collection and have only been seen by a small number of other photogs.

It is perhaps worthy of some direction from our dedicated mods (perhaps in the form of a sticky) if images of a potentially controversial subject might be placed in a special forum (akin to the nude section we have), or be clearly marked with an appropriate warning.
    Neil
    www.hargreavesphotography.com.au | Twitter | Blog | email
    Canon 5D2 | Canon 50D | Canon 10D
    17-40L | 24-70L | 35L | 70-200 f/2.8L IS | 100L Macro IS | 135L | 85/1.8 | Sigma 50/1.4 | Pocketwizards & other lighting stuff

Xtrah is offline dPS Forum Member

My friends, my friends, I think you are jumping to conclusions just a bit too fast when you judge the shot. Yes, the shots are disturbing, but... Since when is art that evokes emotion wrong? Personally, I think the best shots (not that I think these are the best shots in the world, but certainly do capture a tone, and something that really happens) will impact the viewer. GREAT shots evoke emotion. Shock art some may call it, some may hesitate to even call it art, some may not say a word. I think that art should always gather a powerful response, not always sorrow, etc.

All too often, we forget that photos like the ones posted will always have their place. Many times it is in one of the most prestigious awards in Photography. The Pulitzer Prize.

Here is one of the most depressing, disgusting shots ever taken.

This is not for the faint of heart, if you are willing to see, click. This kind of thing can change your life.

http://robertkrzisnik.files.wordpres...08/01/1994.jpg

---------------
    "This photo is the "Pulitzer Prize" winning photo taken in 1994 during the Sudan famine. The picture depicts a famine stricken child crawling towards a United Nations food camp, located a kilometer away.

The vulture is waiting for the child to die so it can eat it. This picture shocked the whole world. No one knows what happened to the child, not even the photographer Kevin Carter who left the place as soon as the photograph was taken.

Three months later he committed suicide due to depression."

Think before you speak sometimes, I agree with you that they are powerful pictures, but I will NEVER agree that they should be taken down because of their grotesqueness.
    KT
    So here I stand on shaky ground and Iím reaching out.

angeleyes216 is offline dPS +1000 Club

I agree with captainNH and think the mods should have a seperate forum for shots like this, maybe that way the photographer can post the shot and those who like to view these can see them. As for share your shots i think this isnt the right place to post them. Just my personal view.
    I know death is a part of life but for me "share your shots" has been a place for a lot of beginners to share their photos and get advice and encouragement, and most wouldnt take or post shots like this.

Known is offline I'm new here!

Hey everyone,

Firstly, I wanted to apologize to anyone who might have been shocked or upset by the images I put up. I should have known better than to not but a warning in the subject matter.

Secondly, I'm thankful that the mods here have chosen to keep these photos up- as subject matter in photography is often on the irrational, emotional, and "yin" side of life.

Currently, I'm a senior at the school of the art institute of Chicago, and I have never brought my work out of the art institute. I crave feed back in the wider photography community and look forward to criticism and opinions of all of you.

Thank you again for understanding my work, and keeping it on the DPS forum.
    Known

JonZenor is offline dPS Forum Member

As long as there is a warning in the topic I see no problem with people posting images like this.

When I read through all of these comments, one thing comes to mind. How often do people in our culture watch tv and movies that has violence and gore that is much worse than this? Ever seen 24? It's weird that people take such offense over a dead animal but often times barely flinch at a picture of a dead person (if it was real or fake).
    My Camera Canon Rebel T1i - Full Equipment List
    My Photo Blog http://www.JonathanZenor.com

Xtrah is offline dPS Forum Member

I think the whole forum may owe a bit of an apology somewhat to Known for not being understanding and not realizing the nature of photography at times. I hope to see some of your other stuff Known, maybe not so controversial next time bud
    KT
    So here I stand on shaky ground and Iím reaching out.

zephod is offline It is I Don Quixote!!

I have several things to say. First, it's a sad scene but not so much the dog as the people standing around. If she'd just been hit as is suggested by the scene I feel sorry for all of us if our society has devolved to the point that giving the poor animal a bit of succor in her final moments is beneath them. I see people standing and watching not helping. I see a woman leaning on her car seemingly annoyed by having to stop and or wait. I see a man and woman who could well be the owners doing nothing and an overall lack of emotion.

What I don't see is a real need for all the calls to close this thread down. Sure the OP should have put up a warning and linking the photos is a much better option than having them pop up but that's about it. I love animals and have had dogs and cats for all of my life. Losing my dog last year was one of the toughest things I've experienced. However, I have also seen human beings torn to shreds and literally blown to bits. I have smelled a battlefield after weeks of carnage. I do know what disturbing truly is and honestly these images really don't measure up.

I remember battlefield and news photos from Vietnam, the man who robbed a bank with a pvc bomb strapped to his neck, Daniel Pearl (yes I've seen the entire video) and many more moments that inspired and in some cases sickened me. That said, I have to wonder is what the OP originally intended. These shots really don't have much of an artistic nor journalistic quality and like a train wreck seem more intended to elicit the response it's gotten vs. sharing a shot with peers, mentors and the rest.

It all boils down to this: Right now journalistic integrity has been traded away for something that most real journalists would not and don't recognize. Like reality TV this is just another shock stunt with no real value. It really was just a bad idea on the OP's part and we should all just let it die.

Anyway, that's my .02.
    doug
    D3, D300s, and, 50mm 1.4, Sigma 10-20 f. 3.5, and Nikon 24-70 2.8,.. 2 SB-900s, 2 SB-28's.
    https://www.facebook.com/BigCheesePhotography
    http://www.bigcheesephotography.net/

JonZenor is offline dPS Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by zephod View Post
    I have several things to say. First, it's a sad scene but not so much the dog as the people standing around. If she'd just been hit as is suggested by the scene I feel sorry for all of us if our society has devolved to the point that giving the poor animal a bit of succor in her final moments is beneath them. I see people standing and watching not helping. I see a woman leaning on her car seemingly annoyed by having to stop and or wait. I see a man and woman who could well be the owners doing nothing and an overall lack of emotion.
    Wow, that is a great observation of the photo. I never even looked that far into it.

Quote Originally Posted by zephod View Post
    That said, I have to wonder is what the OP originally intended. These shots really don't have much of an artistic nor journalistic quality and like a train wreck seem more intended to elicit the response it's gotten vs. sharing a shot with peers, mentors and the rest.
    I agree with that too, Doug. Although I think it could just be the OP posting this because it was something out of the ordinary that happened in his life, might not be to just create a controversy, but you never know.
    My Camera Canon Rebel T1i - Full Equipment List
    My Photo Blog http://www.JonathanZenor.com

Page 3 of 4 First 1234 Last