Close
Close
    mumto2boys is offline Always Learning!

Default Water Skiing / Kneeboard

Hi everyone - My first post for critique. I am wondering how much to crop this pic, if at all? Also, I think the focus is a little off - water splash on the right of my son seems more in focus than he is? Does this take heaps away from the picture?

Anything thing else you want to add would be most welcome!

Using a kit lens + sitting in a moving boat + beginner photographer = this shot.

Thanks in advance,
    Michelle

F-stop F/8.0
    Exposure 1/500
    ISO 200
    Focal Length 123 mm
    No Flash
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hill Country Hack is offline dPS +1000 Club

You really like to start off with the tough stuff.

Your settings are fine. What is the focal range of the lens you used? You got some bokeh in the background, a good thing to help the subject stand out.

Some general pointers on shooting action. Depending on availability of light, set your ISO as low as you can, shoot in either Shutter priority or Apeture priority depending on what you are trying to accomplish.

Look in your manual for "back button focus" and "continual focus mode". Set these and you can use one of the buttons on the back of your camera as the focus button instead of trying to maintain a half press on the shutter release. Also set a center AF point only.

There are always dynamic range issues shooting in the middle of the day. These are compounded by adding water. Some will advocate dialing in some exposure compensation (EC), others the use of polarizing/neutral density filters. Others will advocate no filters/EC. There is more than one way to skin a cat.

You can set a partial metering mode or center weighted metering to keep the subject properly exposed. Bear in mind the water and sky will likely be blown with the center weighted. Shooting evaluative mode, the camera is trying to properly expose the entire shot. The likely result is dark subject and ok exposed everything else.

You did well having the sun behind you. You can also try having the sun more to the sides.

About your question. I would crop down to only include the subject and all the splash. In doing that the missed focus will be more pronounced. This type of shot needs practice and more practice. I'm sure your son would just HATE having to do more boarding. Good luck and keep at it.

Thanks so much for your input!

I was using a kit lens - Canon EFS55-250mm. As the subject moves so much and quite fast, I am not confident I could catch him in the frame if I was zoomed in any more than I was.

I was shooting in shutter priority. I can't seem to find anything in my manual regarding "back button focus" and "continual focus mode"??? Maybe my basic old 450D doesn't have those features???

In regards to the metering - If I use centre weighted, will I then have to deal with the blown out water and sky in PP afterwards? I did think that my subject was a little dark, and your explanation of evaluative metering therefore explains this.

We are going out on the river again in a couple of days, so more chance to practice!! I have very willing guinea pigs for this type of shot, NOT so much for my portrait practice!!

Thanks again - I really do appreciate your feedback and help - that's what I'm here for!
    Canon 450D with kit lenses - EFS55-250mm 1:4-5.6 and EFS18-55mm (others are on the wish list! )

I looked in your manual.

Continual focus- AI Serv- pg 60
    Selecting the AF point- pg 61

After setting the AI Serv try using the button on the back with the checkerboard to see if that now serves as the focus button.

Jim Bryant is offline Stoned Cold Crazy
    2nd star to the left and straight on until morning

crop tighter! background is too distracting. Your eye needs to go to boarder, not travel around the frame.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    http://pa.photoshelter.com/c/jimbryant
    http://jimbryantphotography.blogspot.com/
    (1) EOS 1D MKIII (3) EOS 1D's, (3) EOS1D MKIIs', (1) EOS1Ds MKII, 14mmf2.8, 16-35mmf2.8, 28-70mmf2.8, 70-200mm f2.8, 300mm f2.8 and a 400mmf2.8, (4) 550 EX and 1 580E speedlite, and a Speed a tron studio flash system.

Thanks Jim. Original posting had not been cropped at all - have since cropped similar to yours - just need to work on getting my focus spot on now so that when I do crop, it doesnt look too crappy!

Appreciate the feedback and help guys. Cheers, Michelle
    Canon 450D with kit lenses - EFS55-250mm 1:4-5.6 and EFS18-55mm (others are on the wish list! )

Slapping my forehead as I've learned much from reading Jim's input and forgot the importance of tight cropping in action shots. Mea culpa

Jim Bryant is offline Stoned Cold Crazy
    2nd star to the left and straight on until morning

Quote Originally Posted by Hill Country Hack View Post
    Slapping my forehead as I've learned much from reading Jim's input and forgot the importance of tight cropping in action shots. Mea culpa
    Wait......let me get a baseball bat, I can help with that!
    http://pa.photoshelter.com/c/jimbryant
    http://jimbryantphotography.blogspot.com/
    (1) EOS 1D MKIII (3) EOS 1D's, (3) EOS1D MKIIs', (1) EOS1Ds MKII, 14mmf2.8, 16-35mmf2.8, 28-70mmf2.8, 70-200mm f2.8, 300mm f2.8 and a 400mmf2.8, (4) 550 EX and 1 580E speedlite, and a Speed a tron studio flash system.