Close
Close
    ericg is offline I'm new here!

Default Wedding Fun BW & Color

I was at a friends wedding and took this photo. The photo wasn't that good so I thought I would have some fun with it. Duplicated the photo then blurred the background, changed it to black and white then removed part of the mask to bring the color out on the bride and groom. I thought it gave it a 3D effect. Would like comment(s) on photo or what I might have done to make it better or maybe something different.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Whoops

Whoops Posted to the wrong category,still new here. Sorry but would love your comments. Should have been posted to people category

windrider86 is offline Super Moderator

Your blending needs some work. Notice how fuzzy it looks around his head? When doing this sort of work you need to ZOOM way in and make sure you're getting the edges nice and crisp. Not too crisp or it'll look just as fake.
    I shoot Olympus AND I shoot people!
    www.alockintime.com

Facebook

Here is the original. Would love to see how you adjust this photo ad thanks for all the help.
    Eric
    Attached Images Attached Images

jimhuntphoto is offline dPS Forum Member

You seem to have missed some stuff on the edit version. Firstly composition, dont cut off hands. Its minor but you cut off the grooms left hand. Secondly their holding hands but it seems you missed part of the edit as theres a gray box or something over their hands. Her right elbow has the same thing. Why would blur out the veil when the rest of her dress is not blurred?

Ok on to more of my tastes and this is my opinion. I cant stand selective color. Never have never will. Selective blur like this is very very fake and doesnt come of well at all. Just my opinion and thats it.

Jay Elle Eff is offline Photography enthusiast

Hmmmm...I'm with ericg the selective blur is not something I like, and unfortunately I don't think you've paid enough attention to the detail of getting it done nicely. The candidness and their expressions are GREAT, very natural, you can tell they are enjoying themselves, so you've captured their enjoyment well. However, I'm sorry, but most of the rest of the photo really does nothing for me, and it's out of focus. Keep trying, you'll get there. It wouldn't have been an easy photo to get.
    My gear: Canon 60D, Canon 18-55mm f/3.5, 55-250mm f/4, and 50mm f1.8.
    My website Jay Elle Eff.
    "It's better to be a first-rate version of yourself, than a second-rate version of someone else."

Jay Elle Eff is offline Photography enthusiast

Oops, I mean "I'm with foteck.., not ericg".
    My gear: Canon 60D, Canon 18-55mm f/3.5, 55-250mm f/4, and 50mm f1.8.
    My website Jay Elle Eff.
    "It's better to be a first-rate version of yourself, than a second-rate version of someone else."

Yeah you really need to work on your masking. Didn't you notice those unmasked spots all over your subjects? So it's not just sloppy edges, it's sloppy....everything. Sorry, but I have to be honest. Selective blur very rarely works, because that blur isn't the same as lens blur. Selective coloring divides opinions, but it definitely doesn't work if it's done this carelessly. =/
    Milla
    Canon EOS 6D + 85mm 1.8 USM, 50mm 1.8 II & 28mm 2.8
    Facebook || 500px || Blog || Flickr