Close
Close
    Brusimm is offline I'm new here!

Default What Version of PhotoShop Is Best For Beginners

Hey gang, I'm tossed up between PhotoShop and GIMP. I'm thinking PhotoShop is the best way to go, considering all the support it has. Yet I only dabble in image manipulation. The one thing I want is to be able to muck with layers, maybe add text and tinker with lighting.

What's the better version of PS to get for this light use?

Thanks,
    Bruce

maxharvard Guest

GIMP - It's free.

waffles is offline Critique Moderator

1 - Gimp. It can use a lot of the PhotoShop plugins (last time I checked anyway) and you're not making any sort of monetary investment.

2 - GimpShop. It's GIMP made to look like Photoshop.

3 - Teh version of Photoshop that you can find for really cheap. Here's a link to the current eBay page of version 7 sorted lowest price to highest.
    Canon Rebel XT or Nikon Coolpix L3. Flickr | The Photo Blog | Radio | Blog

If you're going to edit, please make your edit private. I don't want my stuff floating around in other people's photostreams.

private is offline Old timer :)

YOu can also get Elements - its under $100 and does what you need, but yeah, GIMP is free...
    Pat
    5D, 5DMKIII | lenses 50 1.2, 35 1.4, 17-40 f/4, 70-200 2.8 II, 15mm - MY WEBSITE Fan me on Facebook!
    You don't have to be the best, you just have to be better than last week" - Jerry Ghionis

Jim Bryant is offline Stoned Cold Crazy
    2nd star to the left and straight on until morning

If you really want Photoshop do it quickly before CS5 comes out. Inorder to upgrade to CS4, which is pretty damn good, you can't get anything before CS2 because Adobe will only allow you to go back four versions.

I started out with Photoshop 1.0 back in the early 90's and upgraded to every new version that has come out. But what what I heard, if you don't want to spend the $500 to $600.00 for photoshop. Elements 7.0 will work just fine, until you outgrow it.
    http://pa.photoshelter.com/c/jimbryant
    http://jimbryantphotography.blogspot.com/
    (1) EOS 1D MKIII (3) EOS 1D's, (3) EOS1D MKIIs', (1) EOS1Ds MKII, 14mmf2.8, 16-35mmf2.8, 28-70mmf2.8, 70-200mm f2.8, 300mm f2.8 and a 400mmf2.8, (4) 550 EX and 1 580E speedlite, and a Speed a tron studio flash system.