Close
Close
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    mapgirl is offline dPS Forum Member

Default Do I have to delete jpeg sidecar?

I shoot in raw. But somehow the setting was changed (bad elves, I think) to raw + jpeg some months back! I've found several long, involved instructions on how to get rid of the jpeg sidecar. But my question is: do I have to? There just seem like so many ways doing this could go terribly wrong (I use Lightroom 4.3 and am not all that skilled at things above my pay-grade). All my photos are now in a VERY large external hard drive, so space isn't a problem.
    1. Is there a simple, safe way to get rid of the jpeg sidecars?
    2. Does having them affect my end-product?

Thanks!
    And, yes, I've reset my camera to shoot just raw.

OsmosisStudios is offline Don't Panic

They're not sidecars: they're separate files. Your best bet, afaik, is to just manually go in and find them, and delete them. I don't use Lightroom's library system, but if it's anything like Bridge (likely), it just shows what it finds and if they're not there, they wont show up.
    I am responsible for what I say; not what you understand.
    adammontpetit.com
    Gear List
    500PX | Graphic Design

ZafarSami is offline dPS +1000 Club

My Lightroom 4 (on Windows 7) displays just one image of each RAW plus JPEG pair, the RAW one. If you delete from Lightroom it will delete both. Ask me how I know :|

It is better to go in explorer (or finder in Mac) and set a filter for jpeg and delete from there..
    Zafar
    Nikon D300s, Nikkor 50mm F1.4G, Tamron SP 24-70mm F2.8 VC, Tokina 11-16mm F/2.8, Tamron SP 70-200mm F2.8 VC, Nikkor 18-300mm F3.5-5.6, Nikon SB 900
    Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/zafarsami/

OsmosisStudios is offline Don't Panic

Quote Originally Posted by ZafarSami View Post

It is better to go in explorer (or finder in Mac) and set a filter for jpeg and delete from there..
    Which is what I said...
    I am responsible for what I say; not what you understand.
    adammontpetit.com
    Gear List
    500PX | Graphic Design

sk66 is offline Lovable Contrarian

My Lightroom 4 (on Windows 7) displays just one image of each RAW plus JPEG pair, the RAW one. If you delete from Lightroom it will delete both. Ask me how I know :|
    There are two LR preferences that can cause this. One is under import...there is an option to "treat Jpegs next to raw files as separate images" which is unselected by default. The other is under external editing where there is an option to "stack with original" upon returning to LR which is selected by default.

Quote Originally Posted by sk66 View Post
    There are two LR preferences that can cause this. One is under import...there is an option to "treat Jpegs next to raw files as separate images" which is unselected by default. The other is under external editing where there is an option to "stack with original" upon returning to LR which is selected by default.
    Thanks Steve. As I now shoot only RAW, I wouldn't have to worry about the first. In the second case, the film strip in develop mode shows a symbol for stacks, right?
    Zafar
    Nikon D300s, Nikkor 50mm F1.4G, Tamron SP 24-70mm F2.8 VC, Tokina 11-16mm F/2.8, Tamron SP 70-200mm F2.8 VC, Nikkor 18-300mm F3.5-5.6, Nikon SB 900

sk66 is offline Lovable Contrarian

Thanks Steve. As I now shoot only RAW, I wouldn't have to worry about the first. In the second case, the film strip in develop mode shows a symbol for stacks, right?
    yes, and selecting the stack will unstack them. And then you can deal with them individually.

I agree with the discussion above about dealing with "stacked" files, and also how to manage these files without the program "helping". Back to the original question, there may be another topic (or not?).

There are JPG files, and there are "sidecar" files (XMP), and they're not the same thing.

Sidecar files are (in Adobe's usage) small, meta-data files that go along with the original image. They're not big; the big files are left in their original form. Lightroom is not shy about advertising they're (good) philosophy of not modifying the original image (RAW or JPG), but to have the modifications kept as "instructions" in a sidecar file.
    Dave.
    It's not even about the pictures; it's about the memories and communication.

mapgirl is offline dPS Forum Member

Thank you all for your responses! As suggested, I was able to see the jpegs separate from the raw files in Explorer and delete them there. It just will take awhile.

Thanks Dave.

Am I correct in assuming that Lightroom saves changes in xmp files till you decide to save metadata or to copy changes from before to after, and then the info is saved in the RAW file?
    Zafar

Page 1 of 2 12 Last