Close
Close
    acoleman is offline dPS Forum Member

Default How to save a watermark in gimp???

Is there any way to save a watermark in Gimp? I'm trying to find a way to save my copyright info to add to my pictures so I won't have to manually do it every time. I've tried saving it as a single layer but it saves the background of the text box in black instead of being transparent Does anyone know how to do what I'm talking about? Thanks!

To clear things up a little I'm posting two pictures. The first one is how I want my copyright info to look... the second is what happens when I save the copyright info as it's own layer.

IABoomer is offline Too busy to shoot lately

I'm suspecting that you're saving the watermark in JPEG format, which doesn't support transparency. Either save it as a PNG, or as the native GIMP XCF format. Both of those will support transparency.

To apply it, simply open the watermark as a layer of the photo you're working with, adjust position, opacity, size, etc. and save the photo as you intend it to be delivered to the client (JPEG, TIFF, etc.)
    My flickr

Nikon D5000 / Nikon 35mm f/1.8 AF-S lens / Nissin DI-866ii flash

Tstandiford is offline Gimped! Gimp Tutorials

Quote Originally Posted by acoleman View Post
    Is there any way to save a watermark in Gimp? I'm trying to find a way to save my copyright info to add to my pictures so I won't have to manually do it every time. I've tried saving it as a single layer but it saves the background of the text box in black instead of being transparent Does anyone know how to do what I'm talking about? Thanks!
    Hey Acoleman, what you're going to want to do is save the watermark out as a gimp brush file so you can turn it into a paint brush for later use. Think of it as a "stamp" that you can press on your photos.

simply click file>>>new and set the size to something fairly large, at least 1000X1000 px (you will be able to scale the brush up and down as you please, so you may as well make it big.)

click on advanced options. You will see a "fill with" drop down box. Set that to transparency, and click OK.

In this blank canvas, create your watermark with various text tools and such. Once your brush has been made simply click file>>>save as>>>gimp brush (.gbr)

save the brush into C://gimp-2.6/brushes

Now restart GIMP.

Once you do all of that, simply open the photo that you wish to add your watermark to. Now click on the brush tool, and you should find your brush available in the list of brushes in the tool options dockable dialog.

I hope this helped. I do gimp tutorials and will be happy to help you out more.

Thank you both!! I will try out both techniques!