Close
Close
    mrodgers is offline dPS Forum Member

Default Lightroom vs. Paint Shop Pro

I have been using Paint Shop Pro for many years with graphic work in gaming (car skins for sim racing). I just got my camera a few weeks ago and am diving into simple photo post processing for the first time. I have downloaded Lightroom to try out since it seems to be so popular. Just now, I thought to look at some of the photo processing items in Paint Shop Pro now that I am reading more about contrast and levels and such.

I loaded up a picture in Paint Shop Pro and noticed that it was much sharper, much better color and much better contrasts than I could remember in Lightroom. Picture is outdoor shot of my small SUV, taken from the back and has very clear blue sky. So, I fired up Lightroom as well and loaded the same image (has previously no processing done in Lightroom). In Lightroom, the photo looked washed out, the sky wasn't anywhere close to the brilliant blue that shows in Paint Shop Pro, and it seemed there was a ton of noise in the shadow areas of under the bumper and the tires.

Would there be any reason why Lightroom looks so horrible compared to PSP? Is it a setting or something, like needing to correct the gamma in Lightroom itself? I really like the way Lightroom is setup with the Library and Developing areas, but I was truely shocked when I compared the yet to be edited image in each program. Unfortunately, I am not fond of Paint Shop Pro's system of windows when you want to edit something because you really have to hunt it down in the menus, then the popup window with the tools is too large to view the photo while making changes. But the quality of the unedited shots were just fantastic in comparison to viewing in Lightroom.

Why would that be? Just needing to know if it is a setting, or if that's just the way it is. If that's just the way it is, I'm done with trying out Lightroom right now as I'm adjusting and now finding out that my adjustments in Lightroom are nearly what I see unedited in PSP (just loaded a Lightroom edited pic to compare with original pic as taken in PSP.)

Edit: Just loaded the same shot of the truck up in the thumbnail viewer that I use to use and it's the same as PSP, looks fantastic in comparison to Lightroom. Same brilliant blue sky, same crisp contrast, and same low noise in comparison to LR.

Edit #2: Just to see what would happen, I exported the image of the truck in Lightroom with no edits into a new file and did the same with PSP. Viewing each in the thumbnail viewer (ThumbsPlus), the images look identical with only slight difference in the actual file size. So, now I don't know how to edit the photos. If I use Lightroom, which I am really liking the user interface, I'm editing something that originally doesn't look true. I think I can understand some color variation when viewing in 2 different programs, but the noise shown in Lightroom is what is really getting to me. I don't know what that is all about. The LR view is VERY noisy in the shadow/dark areas where there is very little seen noise in either PSP or ThumbsPlus viewer.

Edit #3 (final): Oh, yeah, I should have listed what I use for files. I have a Fuji S5700, but the pictures I was viewing was from an old Fuji 2650. Thus, they are shot in JPEG file and not RAW.
    Last edited by mrodgers; 01-11-2008 at 12:36 AM.

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller? Anyone?

Yeah, I know I'm long winded. I tend to be sometimes in forums, hehehe.

I know there's lot's of Lightroom users out there. Just wondering why Lightroom previews looks so washed out and dull compared to Paint Shop Pro.

Wonder if it would show with a screenshot opened side by side. I'll get a screenie of that sometime tonight to show the difference.

windrider86 is offline Super Moderator

I wish I could tell you. I've been a huge fan of PSP for many years and have ventured out to try other programs along the way and have always come back to psp. So I guess if aint broke dont fix it!

kirbinster is offline Always carry your camera

The only thing I can think of is that something might have gotten curropted in the display drivers in Lighroom - why not try uninstalling it, rebooting and then reinstall and see if it works better.

You might try one of the lightroom groups on Flickr.
    Nikon D800e, D300, D5000, NIKON GLASS 85mm F/1.8 D, 105mm f/2.8 Micro AF-S VR, 70-200 AF-S VR f/2.8, 28-300 AF-S VRII,10.5mm Fisheye, 24-70 AF-S f/2.8, TC-20E III AF-S, Sigma 12-24 HSM, Sigma 30mm f/1.4 HSM, Sigma 150-500 OS, 2 SB-600 Speedlights, SB-900 speedlight, 4 YN-622N transceivers, Manfrotto 190MF3 tripod & 322RC2 ball grip head. - NJ, USA
    Flickr Photobucket
    Ok to edit and repost my shots on DPS forums

Sime is offline Must. Get. Coffee. Quick.

Can't say i've ever had that problem with Lightroom being a PSP user also... I have a raw image open on my screen now in LR and PSP and they look the same... Don't take this the wrong way, but, you do definately have a raw image open in psp, right?... you're not looking at a jpeg preview?

Sime

I stated I would try to post a screenshot of them side by side and here it is. Now, Lightroom certainly doesn't look "horrible" (did I say it did earlier?), but definitely worse than PSP. This screenshot is of the original shot from the camera with no edits. It is a shot from my 5 year old camera which was only a 2 mp, no manual settings, and I was just a point-and-shoot snapshotter. The shot is about a year old. Shown is the back corner of my truck, red tail light, dark bumper, and shadowed rear drivetrain showing. It doesn't show the sky, but the sky does show definitely much deeper and richer blue in PSP.

I would like to use Lightroom, but I don't like how pre-editing the image just doesn't look as good as with PSP. I can export Lightroom to a new file and it looks just fine, but I think I'm fixing things in the photo that are not there to begin with.

You can see in the screenshot (larger available by following to my flickr) the tail light is a richer red and the shadows under the rear bumper are darker on the PSP side. With the lightroom side, you can clearly see much more noise in the bumper and shadows than in the PSP side.

PSP Lightroom comparison

To answer some of the questions.....

Sime, I can't shoot in RAW (stated in my original post). I don't have a dSLR, but have a Fuji 2650 (what my example photo was shot with) and just bought a Fuji S700/S5700. This is indeed the original file loaded up in both PSP and Lightroom completely original without any edits.

kirbinster, I could try that. Some programs you have to reboot and some you don't. Usually, when I install something, I'm doing something else and select "reboot later" if the install is finished before whatever I was doing. But I'm pretty sure there was a reboot at some point this last week. Though, it's not that it looks horrible in Lightroom, just that PSP looks SO much better and I am changing things that I wouldn't have changed if I was working in PSP.

Thanks to all and happy shooting.

katescasa is offline I'm new here!

I have only been using LR for a short time now and have never used the other program. I am trying to find the best program for me on a professional level. I have been very pleased with LR so far.
    Kate

neilwood is offline dPS Forum Member

Are you sure your looking at the pics in the same colourspace IE adobeRGB or SRGB?
    That can alter the look of the images.

Either that or is one of the programs using claibrated workspace and the other not?

Only things i can come up with atm.
    Armed with a Canon and not afraid to use it!
    flickr, My blog, My Gear
    Feel free to edit and repost my images only on DPS

kirbinster is offline Always carry your camera

Calibration is a big issue. I use a Spyder2 to calibrate my and it amazing the difference in the screen while the computer is booting before it loads the calibration.
    Nikon D800e, D300, D5000, NIKON GLASS 85mm F/1.8 D, 105mm f/2.8 Micro AF-S VR, 70-200 AF-S VR f/2.8, 28-300 AF-S VRII,10.5mm Fisheye, 24-70 AF-S f/2.8, TC-20E III AF-S, Sigma 12-24 HSM, Sigma 30mm f/1.4 HSM, Sigma 150-500 OS, 2 SB-600 Speedlights, SB-900 speedlight, 4 YN-622N transceivers, Manfrotto 190MF3 tripod & 322RC2 ball grip head. - NJ, USA
    Flickr Photobucket
    Ok to edit and repost my shots on DPS forums

This monitor calibration and colorspace stuff is confusing to me. I can set the gamma correction and colorspace in PSP (I think I'm doing that right) but I see nowhere to set the colorspace of the Lightroom workspace. I was on a few sights about monitor calibration that showed the gray boxes that need to be the same for calibration and they all looked the same to me.

In my comparison of PSP and LR, I loaded up that same picture in both without editing anything. I saved a new file from each to compare (call them PSP.jpg and LR.jpg). I then loaded both PSP.jpg and LR.jpg in PSP and both files looked exactly the same. Both loaded in LR looked exactly the same. I also have ThumbsPlus and Irfanview. Loading both files in both of those programs looked exactly like they do loaded in PSP. It is just Lightroom that the colors looked washed out and very noisy.

Thanks for all the replies folks, it's appreciated. I may just stick with PSP. I love PSP, just don't like the interface much now that I'm working with photos messing around with the colors. My previous work with PSP was mostly just solid colors, working with the layers, and pasting logos and stuff in.

An example if you wanted to see what I used PSP for in the past....

Photobucket

I see lots of stuff in the preferences in Lightroom about what color profile to use when exporting to an external editor or for saving a file. But I see nothing on the actual viewing of the file I want to work on within LR. The problem isn't that I can't work with it, because I can edit an image to what I want and export it to a new file and it looks great. I'm just having trouble with working on a file getting it looking better when it looks fine to begin with in all other image software I've tried.
    Last edited by mrodgers; 01-13-2008 at 04:13 AM.