Close
Close
    PhotoJunkieJen is offline dPS Forum Member

Default Best Time of Day for an Outdoor Shoot

When's the best time to shoot outdoors?

I've got a shoot today... but the people can basically do it whenever I can. So, I guess I'm trying to weigh the pros and cons.

I know midday tends to lead to harsh shadows, but I'm afraid that afternoon will lead to a lot of harsh, orangey light. Ideas?
    Building my gear one piece at a time!
    - Rebel Xti
    - Tamron 28-75
    - Sigma 10-20
    - Speedlite 430 Exii

pixiedust_photo is offline dPS Forum Member

Here in CA I do my outdoor shoots around 6-7pm so the sun isnt to harsh and bright.
    ~Christine~
    Canon Rebel Xt
    BEST ever CANON 50D
    Lens: 75-300mm, 18-55mm & 18-200mm IS f/3.5

RexK_Cozumel is offline dPS +1000 Club

early in to morning or around sunset. if you want soft warm light. mid day if you want high contrast hard shadows. really depends on the look you are going for. You can get soft light during mid day as well if you can find some open shade.

While I try to shoot during the golden hours, I don't let the time of day stop me from shooting. Just need a bit of location scouting or switch up the style.
    Rex K

The view from my "office" doesn't suck.

spazoid1965 is offline dPS Forum Member

If there's an overcast sky anytime will be fine. Otherwise what the others have said is correct.

m.c.adams is offline Super Secret Member

If you must shoot mid-day, try shooting in the shadows and use a reflector. If you don't have one, get a large piece of white foam-board for the local craft store, it works real well.
    Mark

wulf is offline Ninja Moderator

Is this an outdoor portrait shoot you are talking about? It's going to depend on time, place and weather and the mood you want to capture. Can you tell us some more about the setting for your question?

Thanks,

Wulf
    Wulf Forrester-Barker << Sites: blog / flickr >>
    Gear: Nikon D40, Nikon AFS 18-55mm f/3.5 - 5.6G, Nikon Series E 50mm f/1.8, Nikon AF 70-300mm f/4-5.6G, Vivitar 90mm f/2.5 macro, Raynox DCR-250, Lensbaby 2.0k, SB600

Nicole is offline Dr. Super Moderator

Just moved this over to the Technique section on Photographing People.
    Nikon D600 | D90 | Sony NEX-3
    Nikkor 24-70 f/2.8 | Nikkor 70-300 | Lensbaby 2.0 | Nikkor 85 f/1.8D | Nikkor 105 f/2.8 VR | Sigma 10-20 f/4-5.6 | Nikkor 10.5 f/2.8 Fisheye | Sony 16 f/2.8 | Sony 18-55 | 2xSB600 | Orbis Ring Flash Adapter
    My Flickr

PhotoJunkieJen is offline dPS Forum Member

Heyyy! So The shoot went well. I took your advice and didn't start until 4:30-5:00... and shot some, even then, in the shadows so the light was softer and also to avoid the late afternoon "Burnt orange" light.

I'm obviously no pro, but I'm pleased with my results and I hope they will be too.

I'd love to have a reflector someday for the times of day when the sun is more harsh. Is that something that can be done with only one person though? Maybe with some sort of mount?

Anyway, thanks for your advice as always. I've grown so much since my time here at DPS!
    Building my gear one piece at a time!
    - Rebel Xti
    - Tamron 28-75
    - Sigma 10-20
    - Speedlite 430 Exii

RexK_Cozumel is offline dPS +1000 Club

Quote Originally Posted by PhotoJunkieJen View Post
    Heyyy! So The shoot went well. I took your advice and didn't start until 4:30-5:00... and shot some, even then, in the shadows so the light was softer and also to avoid the late afternoon "Burnt orange" light.

I'm obviously no pro, but I'm pleased with my results and I hope they will be too.

I'd love to have a reflector someday for the times of day when the sun is more harsh. Is that something that can be done with only one person though? Maybe with some sort of mount?

Anyway, thanks for your advice as always. I've grown so much since my time here at DPS!
    Glad to hear that your shoot went well. As for you question about reflectors....

You can use anything as a reflector really. a patch of sidewalk or cement, sand, etc. The thing with those is that you have to move your subject over to it instead of the other way around.

As for using portable reflectors you can either hold it yourself if you are close to the model or using a tripod with wireless remote, have an assistant hold it, or set it on the ground, or have the subject hold it. There are also stands that you can buy that will hold the reflectors.
    Rex K

The view from my "office" doesn't suck.

customminds is offline I'm new here!

i usually skip the middle of the day unless its an overcast day.

normally dusk or dawn is the best mood lighting for portraits.
    Custom Minds Photography
    -----------------------------------
    Houston Wedding Photographer
    Houston Family Portrait Photographer
    Houston Event Photographer