Close
Close
Page 8 of 14 First ... 678910 ... Last
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Wedding Photography

TamiGramont is offline I'm new here!

Krishnan,

Where is your artwork from the wedding? I'd love to see it.

I realized this was the most challenging lighting situation I've encountered so far the wedding I just shot. The sun was setting, shooting in and out of doors, the groom had a white suit while the bridal party wore black, the bride was in a room of mirrors, and my flash was bouncing in (for me) unpredictable ways against opposing mirrors... And then there was the issue of it being insanely hot, not to mention the tension of the family unit I had to adjust to. All new for me.

What about you? How was the lighting? What do you have a history shooting?
    Tami Gramont
    Canon (and the big guns)
    Portfolio
    Flickr
    Blog

Default Racoon eyes?

Quote Originally Posted by kencaleno View Post
    Sorry to say they are not good examples-look at the shadows crossing peoples faces-and the "raccoon -eyes".that's a no-no.Ken
    What do you mean "Racoon eyes"? It would be of greater help (if that is your intention) to ask questions and offer reasoning behind your "comments".

Are you trying to get me to shoot like you? Is that the trick?
    Tami Gramont
    Canon (and the big guns)
    Portfolio
    Flickr
    Blog

kencaleno is offline dPS +1000 Club

"Raccoon eyes" happen when the sun is high in the sky and casts shadows under the person's brow-fill in flash or reflectors are normally used to counteract this phenomenon,but in the examples these have not been used. No I do not want anyone to shoot like me, but if you are selling photos of a bride and groom's magic day, and you can't produce the best-you are history- If you are good, the bride will tell 3 people-but if you are crap,she will tell thirty-If you want good examples of wedding photography, just google Tony Corbell. Myself, I have been shooting weddings professionally for nearly fifty years. regards, Ken
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by TamiGramont View Post
    Yes, I did that on purpose. It was porperly exposed in the original and was not as dramatic. This bride tends toward the dramatic, (note: hairstylist and her hair). So I exaggerated that fact.

Thanks for the feedback. I assume this was a question.
    You assume wrong-It was a statement. Ken

Default Crap Question

""Raccoon eyes" happen when the sun is high in the sky and casts shadows under the person's brow-fill in flash or reflectors are normally used to counteract this phenomenon,but in the examples these have not been used. No I do not want anyone to shoot like me, but if you are selling photos of a bride and groom's magic day, and you can't produce the best-you are history- If you are good, the bride will tell 3 people-but if you are crap,she will tell thirty-If you want good examples of wedding photography, just google Tony Corbell. Myself, I have been shooting weddings professionally for nearly fifty years. regards, Ken"

Quote Originally Posted by kencaleno View Post
    You assume wrong-It was a statement. Ken
    Would that mean crap is in the eye of the beholder?
    Tami Gramont
    Canon (and the big guns)
    Portfolio
    Flickr
    Blog

""Raccoon eyes" happen when the sun is high in the sky and casts shadows under the person's brow-fill in flash or reflectors are normally used to counteract this phenomenon,but in the examples these have not been used. No I do not want anyone to shoot like me, but if you are selling photos of a bride and groom's magic day, and you can't produce the best-you are history- If you are good, the bride will tell 3 people-but if you are crap,she will tell thirty-If you want good examples of wedding photography, just google Tony Corbell. Myself, I have been shooting weddings professionally for nearly fifty years. regards, Ken"

It would mean in the eyes of whoever is paying for the photography-if the photographer is crap-the photographer will know,also, as he/she should be their own worst critic-In the wedding photography game, you are only as good as your last wedding images. Ken
    Last edited by kencaleno; 06-18-2009 at 02:27 PM.

candleman is offline Bad at explaining

its not about artistic preference, when photographing a wedding you're creating portraits of people.. so its pretty important to see their eyes, and not have shadows across the face acting like chamoflage.. disrupting the natural lines of the face.
    http://www.flashpointphotography.co.nz/
    D300s | D7000 | D80 | 17-50f/2.8 | 50-150f/2.8 | 24-70f/2.8 | 10-20 f/3.5 | SB910 | SB900 | SB600 | SB28 PhottixStratos

Default So you know...

Quote Originally Posted by candleman View Post
    its not about artistic preference, when photographing a wedding you're creating portraits of people.. so its pretty important to see their eyes, and not have shadows across the face acting like chamoflage.. disrupting the natural lines of the face.
    Hi,

So you know I'm not a complete yahoo I was invited the day before, met the bride about 30 minutes before this, and it was all on the fly. It was also a room of mirrors facing each other. With that said, I guess I could have posted the before image. Considering the circumstances, this was a favor to a friend and I'm new to wedding photography...

I see the circles. And, what do you suggest you do AFTER the fact?
    Tami Gramont
    Canon (and the big guns)
    Portfolio
    Flickr
    Blog

There is nothing you can do after the fact-except apologise. I was not criticising your image for racoon eyes and shadows, but the ones that were on the link provided.-Sally and Peter, I believe-posted by rider- I critiqued your shot for the blown highlights on dress.

Regards, Ken

PrimetimePhotography is offline I'm new here!

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Tiberius View Post
    A nice little tip I picked up for group photos...

it's always the case that at least one person will have their eyes closed when there's a group of 5 or more people. So, to make sure that everyone has their eyes open when you press the shutter release, tell everyone to close their eyes. Then, tell them you'll do a countdown - 3, 2, 1, OPEN! - and wait for half a second or so when you say open, and everyone will have their eyes open.
    That's what I do! Especially if the wedding is shot outside. Because you never want the sun at the group/person's back they have to be facing the sun. So to keep from getting squinty eyes I do just that. Close your eyes until I say open!
    "Don't say 'I can't' until you try.. You never know what you can do.."

Proud Owner of a Canon EOS Digital Rebel XS and loads of other accessories.
    Visit me at my website: Primetime Photography!
    I would LOVE to hear your feedback!

Page 8 of 14 First ... 678910 ... Last