Close
Close
    britty24 is offline noob

Default First attempt at maternity

So here's my first attempt at maternity. I'd like to hear your thoughts. How's the composition? Lighting? etc. What works, what doesn't? I really appreciate the input. Since this is my first maternity shoot I'm a little unsure of myself. Thanks!

Canon Rebel T3i
    ISO-200
    f/5
    Exp 1/60th
    Exp bias -3 step
    Flash, compulsory (I used an off camera flash and I believe for this shot I bounced it off of the ceiling.)
    45 mm
    Attached Images Attached Images

Part of composing a picture like this is the connection between the two subjects, or really three, but let's stick with the two that are directly visible! We know that they're connected by the pose and the partial embrace. She's in light colors against a black background, and she looks maternal. She looks like she's dressed for the part. He's in dark colors against the dark background fading inseparably from the background and dressed in street clothes. Her soft tones and curves are interrupted by his harsh tones and the (too) white t-shirt.

I'd like to see a separation light on (at least) him and/or a different background. She wouldn't be hurt by a splash of separation light, but her light colors don't create a problem.

I'd like to see him dressed differently, but that gets into personal style with the couple.

Overall, I'm having a hard time putting my finger on whatever else is sticking in my mind. I think it's the visual balance that's too far to the left. With a different color background, the balance would shift. But with the background black and him mostly black and her in a light color, everything is shifted to the left.
    Dave.
    It's not even about the pictures; it's about the memories and communication.

tomservo51 is offline Do it!

Mom seems closed off. When you have her shoulder to the camera it unintentionally gives off a 'cold shoulder' vibe. Have her open up towards the camera some. The pair need to be involved with each other but the viewer needs to feel connected too.

Also, the key light source is kinda boring, can you move it higher?

britty24 is offline noob

Quote Originally Posted by dasmith232 View Post
    Part of composing a picture like this is the connection between the two subjects, or really three, but let's stick with the two that are directly visible! We know that they're connected by the pose and the partial embrace. She's in light colors against a black background, and she looks maternal. She looks like she's dressed for the part. He's in dark colors against the dark background fading inseparably from the background and dressed in street clothes. Her soft tones and curves are interrupted by his harsh tones and the (too) white t-shirt.

I'd like to see a separation light on (at least) him and/or a different background. She wouldn't be hurt by a splash of separation light, but her light colors don't create a problem.

I'd like to see him dressed differently, but that gets into personal style with the couple.

Overall, I'm having a hard time putting my finger on whatever else is sticking in my mind. I think it's the visual balance that's too far to the left. With a different color background, the balance would shift. But with the background black and him mostly black and her in a light color, everything is shifted to the left.
    I see what you mean about everything shifting to the left and adding a separation light. Dually noted. Love hearing your feedback and I appreciate that you take the time to give it. Thanks for the help. :-)

britty24 is offline noob

Quote Originally Posted by tomservo51 View Post
    Mom seems closed off. When you have her shoulder to the camera it unintentionally gives off a 'cold shoulder' vibe. Have her open up towards the camera some. The pair need to be involved with each other but the viewer needs to feel connected too.

Also, the key light source is kinda boring, can you move it higher?
    I'll keep the shoulder thing in mind for next time, closed off surely isn't what we were going for. And I'll play around with my light source more, boring is no good. Thanks a bunch!