Close
Close
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By inkista

Thread: pentax k-5 vs nikon d7000

TheJeremyNix is offline I'm new here!

Default pentax k-5 vs nikon d7000

I was fully on the bandwagon for the D7000, but the back focus issue I have been hearing about has me reconsidering. The Pentax K5 seems like a great camera and is slightly less expensive. Any advice?

inkista is offline Gear Geek Girl

Been reading dpreview again? I'd suggest actually using the cameras you're interested in and seeing for yourself if the "issue" actually affects you, before basing a purchase/brand decision on it.

The brand of the camera you choose will have a profound effect on what kind of glass you can mount on the camera and use. Nikon and Canon have much larger lens selections than the other makes, as well as better 3rd party support and general availability, which is why they're usually the first two brands recommended. Doesn't mean they're necessarily the right fit, but they do have the most room for future system expansion, and you can easily find toys like macro extension tubes or compatible TTL radio flash triggers. With Pentax, that might be a bit harder.

If you do go with the K-5 (which is, indeed a great camera, and which sports some features neither of the Big Two offer, such as weathersealing and in-body stabilization), make sure first that the Pentax lens offerings are going to cover your needs, now and in the future. I'm not sure I'd recommend going with Pentax if wildlife or sports were your main photographic interests simply from the lens standpoint, and obviously, Pentax is not for you if you want the option to go full-frame.

Camera bodies come and go. It's the rest of the system where you're going to spend most of the money and where the money will stay with you. If the Pentax system is complete unto your needs, then there's no reason not to go there. But the bodies are not all you need to consider or side-by-side when you get into dSLRs.
    LoneWanderer likes this.
    I shoot with a Canon 5DmkII, 50D, and S90, and Pansonic GX-7. flickr stream and equipment list

sk66 is online now Lovable Contrarian

Quote Originally Posted by inkista View Post
    +1, nothing to add.

Well, if you're going to snap up a k5, act fast.. they just announced it's discontinuation, after it enjoyed a great price drop recently..

...however, this discontinuation comes shortly before what we expect to be very interesting announcements for Pentax at Photokina. You may find a flood of used k5s on the market which would be at absolute bargains as people like me off-load for the new stuff...

Inkista is right that there are limitations to the range of glass available, but for the vast majority of shooters, it's not going to be a real concern.. moreover Pentax glass offers some absolute gems, like the Limited primes and you don't have to sell your first-born to pick up premium lenses... as well as offering weather-sealed lenses to go along with the weather sealed bodies which is an attractive proposition for anyone who works or may find themselves outdoors..

One downside arguably is the flash system which is lacking when put up against Canikon because of the lack of 3rd party TTL support for wireless systems etc.. but if that's not something that is an issue, it's not an issue.. and if it may be an issue, i can tell you that I use OCF and have no problems.

Odds are that the k5 and the Pentax system will probably meet your needs easily if you're just an average shooter.. it certainly meets mine as a full time wedding photographer.

TheJeremyNix is offline I'm new here!

Default Thanks

Thanks for all the great insight here. I appreciate it.

navcom is offline Out staring at the sun

Been a Pentax shooter for nary 25 years. Never had a problem finding a lens that will work. I have lenses that range from new to 50 years old that all work on my K-5. It's an excellent camera and rivals many very expensive versions from Canon and Nikon.

That being said, Pentax does not offer a full frame body and seems to be obsessed with "miniature" versions of everything as well as entry-level competition. Probably mostly due to the economy currently but who knows.

I've been interested in upgrading to a full frame body for the business. I have a lot of full-frame legacy lenses from Pentax that can blow you away quality-wise but no digital full frame body to hang them on. There have been persistent rumors for several years that "this year is it!"...Pentax is hiding in the weeds just waiting to spring a full frame body on the world...but nothing ever comes from it. That's the rumor again this year. I'm not biting.

I actually rented a Canon 5D mII as I was thinking of purchasing one. I just couldn't justify it. My K5 is actually a better camera in my opinion...better build quality, image quality, and certainly better menu ergo. The one that I believe is a winner for me is the Nikon D800 (I'm a landscape shooter)...but it's over $4K with a decent lens and again, I just can't justify the price right now. The K5 is doing great for me and business is business.

I guess what I'm saying is that if you are looking to someday enter the full frame market, you should probably consider Canikon systems. If you are staying with cropped systems (nothing wrong with this at all!), go with Pentax. You won't regret it.
    Landscapes and Light Painting, Nikon and Pentax equipment
    Eagle Vista Studio - Light Painting - Getting Started With Sunrise Photography
    "Anybody can make the simple complicated. Creativity is making the complicated simple." Charlie Mingus

idb
    idb is offline Sabermetrician

Quote Originally Posted by inkista View Post

Camera bodies come and go. It's the rest of the system where you're going to spend most of the money and where the money will stay with you. If the Pentax system is complete unto your needs, then there's no reason not to go there. But the bodies are not all you need to consider or side-by-side when you get into dSLRs.
    Yes, like she says.

Ian
    idb

Pentax K200D with D-BG3 grip, FA 50/1.4, DA Limited 35/2.8 macro, DA 10-17/3.5-4.5 FISH-EYE, DA 17-70/4, DA 50-200/4-5.6, Sigma 30/1.4, Tamron 90/2.8 macro, Sigma 70-300/4-5.6, Sony DSCH-1 P&S with 12x zoom, plus a lot of 35mm Minolta gear.