Close
Close
    redartsjr is offline JustMe

Default Camera Capabilities

I was just wondering if anyone would be interested in showing off the capabilities of their equipment? As an example I'll post 4 shots that I took with my Canon PowerShot SX30IS to show the zoom capability of this little $200 point and shoot. Now grant it the results of this digital zoom is of rather low quality for any thing other than maybe a technical aspect, But for a point and shoot it's not that bad. The first two shots are of the gas station across the street from my house, about 100yrds or so. This camera does not shoot in raw and no post work was done on either set. Setting for first set are as follows:
    f/5.8 1/25 ISO:80 4mm then zoomed out to 150x4mm.
    The second set was looking out over Tampa Bay to the East. This Coast Guard cutter seem to me to be about a mile or so out there. And seems to have a hole torn in the port side toward the stern. The crudely drawn squares in the wide shots represent where I zoomed into. Setting for second set are: f/4 1/400 ISO:80 4mm Then Zoomed in: f/5.8 1/800 ISO:125 150mmx4
    Attached Images Attached Images

crazynelsons is offline Loves Photography

Awesome shots. Just amazing what those cameras can do.
    R Nelson
    Canon EOS 50D 15.1MP-----Canon EOS 7D 18 MP
    Canon EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS----Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II
    Sigma 50mm f/2.8 Macro----Tamron AF 10-24mm f/3.5-4.5
    Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L----Sigma 150-500mm f/5-6.3 IS

redartsjr is offline JustMe

Thanks crazynelsons I was rather impressed with the zoom capabilities of such a rather inexpensive camera. I see in your list of gear you shoot with a Canon. My primary camera is is an EOS 40D and I am quite happy with it. I'm just not real happy with the lens' I have. They seemed to have worked fine on my 20D. But I think now the 40D has pushed these lens' to their limits. So now I am ready to invest in some new glass. Right now I have an EF 75-300 4-5.6 III kit lens an EFS 18-55 3.5-5.6 kit. an EF 28-80 3.6-5.6 kit and a Promaster 28-80 3.5-5.8 that I have no idea where it came from and I can't even remember the last time I even used it. I saw you had a couple of Sigmas in your collection and I was wondering how you liked them. Especially the Sigma 50mm macro? Are you happy with the construction of the Sigma lens' you have? Any down side to either of them? Do you have any pictures with the 50 macro you would like to share?
    Rick