Close
Close
    mikoyan is online now Still Learning...

Default More Ships of the Great Lakes

So yesterday was spent boatwatching again. I was after a particular ship though.

From Michigan Exposures

The Arthur M. Anderson has a long and illustrious history amongst the ships of the lakes. But she is most famous for being the last ship in contact with the Edmund Fitzgerald.

From Michigan Exposures

Same ship...just wanted to show just how low the lakes are.

From Michigan Exposures

Since someone stole my thunder, I'll show the Tregurtha a little later in the process.

From Michigan Exposures

And the Presque Isle

Minicooper is online now dPS +1000 Club

Some cool pictures, but I need to know what they carry and what makes you so interested in them. I like #3 with the whole industrial setting and the colouring - are the ships new or have they been around a while? Thanks for sharing.
    Canon 7D, 500D, 18-55 & 55-250 , 70-300 L , Canon SX10 IS, Sigma 24-70, Sigma 10-20

http://www.flickr.com/photos/minicountryman/

http:/www.500px.com/minicooperd

I'm not quite sure why I'm fascinated by the ships of the lakes but I have been interested in ships for a long time. It could have something to do with my dad being in the Navy or my grandpa serving on the lake vessels, I don't know. But it has been a while.

As for what they carry, it really depends. The Canadian ships will typically carry grain from Thunder Bay to points beyond (although some of them will take the grain to grain elevators in Montreall and then ocean going ships will take it to points beyond). But some of the Canadian ships will carry cement, stones, coal or whatever. The American ships will typically carry iron ore for the mills but they will also carry coal, stones, cement or whatever.

As for the age, the current oldest ship on the Great Lakes is over 100 years old. The ship in the first two pictures was built in 1952. The second ship was built during World War II but it was converted to a laker in the 50's. The last ship was built in 1972 and is 1000 feet long.

Paco_X is offline Curmudgeon with a camera

I certainly had no intention of hijacking your shot. In fact I had no intention of shooting anything as I was leaving Severstal headed home to Cleveland, but when I crossed the Dix Road bridge and saw the industrial landscape I had to have it.

I have admired your record of the life blood of the Great Lakes. They are very interesting images. Keep up the great work.

Quote Originally Posted by Paco_X View Post
    I certainly had no intention of hijacking your shot. In fact I had no intention of shooting anything as I was leaving Severstal headed home to Cleveland, but when I crossed the Dix Road bridge and saw the industrial landscape I had to have it.

I have admired your record of the life blood of the Great Lakes. They are very interesting images. Keep up the great work.
    Don't take my comment about hijacking the wrong way. I just wasn't expecting there to be another shot like that on here. Your shot was very cool and it was a surprise.

Fobonic is offline Fobonic

Great pictures!
    Looking forward in seeing more.
    Something about big ships fascinate me as well.
    My father use to work on the river front. Always a sight to see the fully loaded cargo ships and what they hold!

Quote Originally Posted by Fobonic View Post
    Great pictures!
    Looking forward in seeing more.
    Something about big ships fascinate me as well.
    My father use to work on the river front. Always a sight to see the fully loaded cargo ships and what they hold!
    Unless I post some older pictures, it's going to be about two or three months before I post again as the Lakes are pretty much shut down right now. The MacArthur Lock closed December 31st (I think) and the Poe Lock closed last week, so there is no traffic from the ports on Superior to the ports in the Lower Lakes. There is still some minimal traffic that isn't going through either the Soo Locks or the canals that connect Lake Erie to Lake Ontario.

But thanks.