Close
Close
    phlyersphan is offline dPS Forum Member

Default Keeping camera dry in snow, rain?

Hi all -

I apologize if this has been covered, but the search tool wouldn't allow me to search for the word "dry" as it falls short of the 4-letter minimum!

As winter approaches here in Chicago, I'm hoping to get some advice on how I can continue shooting outdoors when the snow moves in.

I've read that it's a good idea to place the camera in a plastic ziplock bag before moving indoors from the cold to prevent condensation from building up on or in the camera.

What about when you're outdoors and it is snowing? Should the camera be wrapped in plastic or something to keep it from getting wet? How weather resistant are these cameras? (I've got a Canon Digital Rebel XTi/400D - I know it's not as weather resistant as the more expensive Canon's, as it doesn't advertise itself as such).

Thanks!!
    -- Shelly
    Canon 50D, Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II, Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM
    * OK to edit and re-post my photos, only to DPS *
    [about me] - [Flickr] - [zenfolio gallery]

Digidave is offline Class Clown

This comes from a site making fun of photographers. I'm still in search of the perfect solution myself.

899624581_a46ea95a34
    MY GEAR

Flickriver

I turned out to be the only hell my Momma ever raised.

filemanager is offline dPS Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digidave View Post
    This comes from a site making fun of photographers. I'm still in search of the perfect solution myself.

899624581_a46ea95a34

hahahah that is awesome. LOL
    Gear: Nikon D80, Nikon D300s, Sony Cybershot W7, Canon G12 | Nikkor 18-135mm f3.5-5.6 AF, Nikkor 50mm f1.8 AF, 50mm f1.8 MF, Nikkor 70-300mm f4.5-5.6 AF VR, Tamron 28-75mm f2.8 AF, Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8 AF, Nikkor 35mm f1.8 | SB-600 Speedlight

Online Galleries: Website | Facebook | Picasa

Nicole is offline Dr. Super Moderator

Dry is easy It might look kind of mangy, but the big ziplock bags work wonders. They fit just right, they're clear, and you just cut a hole in the front for the very front of the lens to stick through and use a rubber band to keep the rain out of the hole. And if you have a lens hood that works even better. See my example here.
    Image006 (by -Nicole-)

There have been several threads on keeping your camera warm / dry, but you would've needed to search for "cold". This thread has a lot of information to get you started on what you can do to use your camera in cold weather and the best way to take care of it.
    Nikon D600 | D90 | Sony NEX-3
    Nikkor 24-70 f/2.8 | Nikkor 70-300 | Lensbaby 2.0 | Nikkor 85 f/1.8D | Nikkor 105 f/2.8 VR | Sigma 10-20 f/4-5.6 | Nikkor 10.5 f/2.8 Fisheye | Sony 16 f/2.8 | Sony 18-55 | 2xSB600 | Orbis Ring Flash Adapter
    My Flickr

phlyersphan is offline dPS Forum Member

Thanks Nicole for the photo! Very helpful!

LMAO @ the pic, digidave!!!!!!
    -- Shelly
    Canon 50D, Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II, Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM
    * OK to edit and re-post my photos, only to DPS *
    [about me] - [Flickr] - [zenfolio gallery]

Nathan deGargoyle is offline dPS +1000 Club

How about one of these?
    "A wise man speaks because he has something to say, a fool speaks because he has to say something." -aristotle.
    Nikon D70s, 18-55 kit lens, 55-200 VR, 28mm f/2.8, 50mm f/1.8
    creativecommons.org - Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike
    My "Best shots" on Flickr

jaydubyasee is offline dPS Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan deGargoyle View Post
    How about one of these?
    Without doubt, necessity is the mother of invention!
    Jamie Cook
    Canon EOS 400D EF-S 18-55mm (kit)
    www.flickr.com/jaydubyasee

Okay to edit and repost my pictures on DPS

snapdragon is offline dPS Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nicole View Post
    Dry is easy It might look kind of mangy, but the big ziplock bags work wonders. They fit just right, they're clear, and you just cut a hole in the front for the very front of the lens to stick through and use a rubber band to keep the rain out of the hole. And if you have a lens hood that works even better. See my example here.
    Image006 (by -Nicole-)

There have been several threads on keeping your camera warm / dry, but you would've needed to search for "cold". This thread has a lot of information to get you started on what you can do to use your camera in cold weather and the best way to take care of it.
    , And I thought i had invented that bag trick LOL , I also use a filter on those wet days to keep the water from getting to my lense & finding a way into my camera ,& I don't go for that small umberla ,LMBO I use my big one ,a photographer needs more than 2 hands on a wet day .