Close
Close
Page 1 of 8 123 ... Last
    Ishyid is offline dPS Forum Member

Default Fireworks Photography

Okay, with the 4th of July coming on fast, I was wondring if anyone has some tips or How-To's to take great firework photographs. Please give me the details, because I am anctious to get out here and shoot. From what I understand you want to have you aperture to a big number, focus at infinity, use bulb for shutter speed, and take the shot as soon as you hear the boom. Is there any truth to this?

Thanks,
    Joshua

Nicole is offline Dr. Super Moderator

You could start with this article on the Blog. My recommendations are a good, heavy tripod (it's windy where I am, so a heavy tripod that doesn't move is always useful...) and also a remote for your camera. That and a large enough memory card to take lots of shots.

And yes, I time my shots based on hearing the firework leaving the canon as it were. So when you hear it leave, open the shutter and then you can choose when to close it after you see the burst(s). Here are a few of my shots, the EXIF should be available for all of them as a starting point:

EXIF

EXIF

EXIF
    Last edited by Nicole; 06-30-2009 at 11:32 PM. Reason: Fixed links
    Nikon D600 | D90 | Sony NEX-3
    Nikkor 24-70 f/2.8 | Nikkor 70-300 | Lensbaby 2.0 | Nikkor 85 f/1.8D | Nikkor 105 f/2.8 VR | Sigma 10-20 f/4-5.6 | Nikkor 10.5 f/2.8 Fisheye | Sony 16 f/2.8 | Sony 18-55 | 2xSB600 | Orbis Ring Flash Adapter
    My Flickr

binah06 is offline I'm new here!

I image it can be a lot like shooting lightning. I havent done that since I shot with film SLRs so I am not sure how to explain it in digital terms. What you wrote sounds right. You will probably have to experiment with the exact shot timing.

I took a couple of firework shots a year or so ago with a point and shoot set on a fireworks setting. Here are those shots with their EXIF.

Camera: Panasonic DMC-LZ7
    Exposure: 0.25 sec (1/4)
    Aperture: f/3.1
    Focal Length: 9.9 mm
    ISO Speed: 100
    Exposure Bias: 0/100 EV
    Flash: Flash did not fire

Camera: Panasonic DMC-LZ7
    Exposure: 0.25 sec (1/4)
    Aperture: f/3.4
    Focal Length: 14.5 mm
    ISO Speed: 100
    Exposure Bias: 0/100 EV
    Flash: Flash did not fire

Hopefully this gives you something to work with.
    Melissa

idcrewdawg is offline dPS Forum Member

Nicole, Your EXIF wasn't available. Could you post it so us noobs can learn from your shots?

It's there under "More Properties" on the photo page. But I've linked to the EXIF now.
    Nikkor 24-70 f/2.8 | Nikkor 70-300 | Lensbaby 2.0 | Nikkor 85 f/1.8D | Nikkor 105 f/2.8 VR | Sigma 10-20 f/4-5.6 | Nikkor 10.5 f/2.8 Fisheye | Sony 16 f/2.8 | Sony 18-55 | 2xSB600 | Orbis Ring Flash Adapter
    My Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by Nicole View Post
    It's there under "More Properties" on the photo page. But I've linked to the EXIF now.
    When looking at my photo's I know where to find it. When looking at your photo's it's not available.

I'm honestly not sure why you're not seeing it. My EXIF isn't hidden and I just checked to see if I could find the More Properties link when not signed in and the EXIF is all there when I click "More Properties".
    My Flickr

Ishyid is offline dPS Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by idcrewdawg View Post
    When looking at my photo's I know where to find it. When looking at your photo's it's not available.
    Just right click on the EXIF link and go down to properties, and copy and paste the URL in the website box. Nicole put http:// twice, that is why it is not opening up for you. There, problem solved.

Geez I must have been tired last night to not spot that one

*goes to edit the links*
    My Flickr

Thanks!! Now looking at the EXIF I have a better guess to how long my shots should be.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... Last