Close
Close
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    Mommyto3 is offline I'm new here!

Lightbulb Any ideas for "HOMEMADE" filters????

I have come across some pretty cool ideas on how to use stuff around the house for "make-shift" filters.....ie: vaseline, shear nylon etc.
    I was wondering if any of you have tried or heard of other ones?!?!?

Nicole is offline Dr. Super Moderator

Those are the ones that I've heard of too. Have you tried any of them and do you have examples to share?

I did find some more examples in an article at Adorama that suggests:
    • Blowing on the lens to create condensation
    • Crumpled cellophane
    • Hairspray or clear nail polish on a skylight filter
    • Use a permanent marker to create small black dots all over a skylight filter
    • Nylons
    Or there was an article on Macworld (talking about "filters" over the iSight camera) that suggested bubble wrap.

Basically, you could try anything that's at least somewhat see-through in front of your lens. I've seen lots of things that make for interesting results, and I loooove DIY ideas
    Nikon D600 | D90 | Sony NEX-3
    Nikkor 24-70 f/2.8 | Nikkor 70-300 | Lensbaby 2.0 | Nikkor 85 f/1.8D | Nikkor 105 f/2.8 VR | Sigma 10-20 f/4-5.6 | Nikkor 10.5 f/2.8 Fisheye | Sony 16 f/2.8 | Sony 18-55 | 2xSB600 | Orbis Ring Flash Adapter
    My Flickr

matthewchj is offline dPS Forum Member

For a polarizer, try taking an old pair of polarized sunglasses, remove one of the lenses and hold it in front of your camera lens.
    Canon 350D, 18-55mm 3.5-5.6, 50mm 1.8, 100mm 2.8 Macro, 75-300mm 4-5.6, Sigma 10-20mm 4-5.6
    flickr|Photoblog
    A picture is a frozen slice of time painted on paper.
    OK to edit and repost my shots on DPS

Default Homemade filters...

Quote Originally Posted by Nicole View Post
    Those are the ones that I've heard of too. Have you tried any of them and do you have examples to share?

I did find some more examples in an article at Adorama that suggests:
    • Blowing on the lens to create condensation
    • Crumpled cellophane
    • Hairspray or clear nail polish on a skylight filter
    • Use a permanent marker to create small black dots all over a skylight filter
    • Nylons
    Or there was an article on Macworld (talking about "filters" over the iSight camera) that suggested bubble wrap.

Basically, you could try anything that's at least somewhat see-through in front of your lens. I've seen lots of things that make for interesting results, and I loooove DIY ideas

I am just beggining to "learn" about all this camera "stuff" ...What is a skylight filter??

I played around with all of these the other night and got some rough but fun results! I have since deleted them but I will do some more playing and post what I come up with!

I tried the breathing on the lens one also, but I found that if I put a small dot of shaving cream on the lens where I DON'T want it to fog up that I get much better results. My whole lens was clearing uniformly instead of from the middle out so the fog effect wasn't working real great until I used the shaving cream!

Quote Originally Posted by matthewchj View Post
    For a polarizer, try taking an old pair of polarized sunglasses, remove one of the lenses and hold it in front of your camera lens.
    Like I said earlier...I'm just learning about a lot of things....what does the polarizer do?

I have always LOVED taking pictures and finding creative shots but never had a good camera. About four months ago I "bit the bullet" and got a Rebel xti, so now I am just trying to learn EVERYTHING I can.

I feel SOOOO overwhelmed because there is just SO MUCH. Any tips on WHERE I should focus my "learning" to begin with?

mysticeyesx is offline Wanderer

i was overwhelmed too. i went to the company website for my camera and downloaded the advanced manual. helped me learn a lot about my camera and what it can do. here is some info on filters: http://digital-photography-school.co...ers-for-dslrs/

Quote Originally Posted by Mommyto3 View Post
    ...What is a skylight filter??
    It's about the cheapest clear filter you can buy for your camera so that you're not doing all this stuff to the actual lens It's basically a piece of clear glass that you screw on to the front of your lens. You can use a skylight filter or a UV filter, they accomplish pretty much the same thing. Either way, they're usually under $10, a small investment to protect the lens if you're putting all sorts of stuff on it
    Nikkor 24-70 f/2.8 | Nikkor 70-300 | Lensbaby 2.0 | Nikkor 85 f/1.8D | Nikkor 105 f/2.8 VR | Sigma 10-20 f/4-5.6 | Nikkor 10.5 f/2.8 Fisheye | Sony 16 f/2.8 | Sony 18-55 | 2xSB600 | Orbis Ring Flash Adapter
    My Flickr

matthewchj is offline dPS Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nicole View Post
    It's basically a piece of clear glass that you screw on to the front of your lens. You can use a skylight filter or a UV filter, they accomplish pretty much the same thing.
    According to the little brochure that came with one of my UV filters, a skylight filter actually is quite different from a UV filter. A skylight filter is supposed to reduce excess blues and add warmth to the picture, while a UV filter removes UV rays without affecting the colour of the picture.

A polarizer polarizes light (duh). I'm not sure about the technical bit, but in practice what it does is increase saturation, especially making greens and blues look richer, and it removes reflections from non-metallic surfaces such as water and glass.
    Canon 350D, 18-55mm 3.5-5.6, 50mm 1.8, 100mm 2.8 Macro, 75-300mm 4-5.6, Sigma 10-20mm 4-5.6
    flickr|Photoblog
    A picture is a frozen slice of time painted on paper.
    OK to edit and repost my shots on DPS

Quote Originally Posted by matthewchj View Post
    According to the little brochure that came with one of my UV filters, a skylight filter actually is quite different from a UV filter. A skylight filter is supposed to reduce excess blues and add warmth to the picture, while a UV filter removes UV rays without affecting the colour of the picture.
    Ok, I should've been more specific in this case... In this particular case where you're simply using it as a glass barrier between something that you're going to put on your filter (like hairspray) and your lens, they pretty much accomplish the same thing . I mean, heck, you could use a fancy filter that adds all sorts of colours, if you wanted to
    My Flickr

clockdoc is offline dPS +1000 Club

For those of you with infrared capability in your digital cameras, but who have not yet invested in an IR filter, try making one out of an old 5 1/4 inch floppy disc material. These are hard to find but should be available. Make sure no visible light can get through the lens. Here is a test shot made with such a filter on a Sony F707, ISO 100, 1.3 sec exp at f/2.8.
    DSC00302_1
    Granted the filter doesn't make for a sharp image but I think you can see it offeres an interesting "old world" effect. Let me know if you try this technique.
    Sincerely,
    Lee -clockdoc-

Page 1 of 2 12 Last