Close
Close
    canonguy is offline I'm new here!

Unhappy Compact Flash cards - obsolete?

I was told a week or so ago by a manager at an electronics store that compactflash cards are being phased out by manufacturers in favor of smaller, faster media. Any truth to this? My DSLR uses CF cards and I really don't want to have to upgrade just because my media cards go bye-bye.

Canonguy

hpebley3 is offline dPS Forum Member

Don't know anything about the rumor.

However, I don't see any reason to have to upgrade because a new camera has different media. If anything, that might be a reason to delay an upgrade since not being able to use existing media would increase the cost of doing so.

Just my $0.02.

Sime is offline Must. Get. Coffee. Quick.

Had heard that there was talk of phasing out "under 1 gb" sized cards... I use a 4gb... and with todays larger MegaPixel cameras, I guess most people will be using larger than 1gb cards soon anyway. You can pickup a 4gb 133x card in London for 25 at most of my local shops (tottenham court road)

Sime

Jargon is offline dPS Forum Member

CompactFlash is not yet obsolete. But it's no longer the most popular flash memory format. The title of most ubiquitous flash memory format has gone to SecureDigital.
    Cameras: Canon EOS-1D Mark III, Canon EOS 5D Mark II, Kodak DX6490
    Lenses: Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM, Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM, Canon EF 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6L IS USM, Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM, Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM
    Flash: Canon Speedlite 580EX II

matthewchj is offline dPS Forum Member

Yeah but most DSLRs still use CF
    Canon 350D, 18-55mm 3.5-5.6, 50mm 1.8, 100mm 2.8 Macro, 75-300mm 4-5.6, Sigma 10-20mm 4-5.6
    flickr|Photoblog
    A picture is a frozen slice of time painted on paper.
    OK to edit and repost my shots on DPS

mdwsta4 is offline dPS Forum Member

seeing as the recently announced 'fastest camera in the world' (canon mkIII) still uses CF cards, i'm not worried about it. canon is the leading DSLR manufacturer and until their professional models start changing formats, then i'll start to 'worry'. hell, even then, i'll pick up a mkIII camera nice and relatively cheap to use! ha!

besides, with the cost of memory as cheap as it is, who really cares? if it were 5 years ago and a 512mb card cost $200 that's one thing. now you can get a 4gb card for $50. switching formats is trivial.
    -Matt
    Canon 30D, 17-40 f4L, 50 f1.8, Sigma 70-200 f2.8 DG Macro, 30 f1.4, battery grip, 430EX speedlight, Nikon SB-25, wireless transmitters/remotes, various filters, etc, etc.

msm fotki OR msm flickr

matthewchj is offline dPS Forum Member

It's not so much of the format of the media itself, its the compatibility of other hardware with the media format
    Canon 350D, 18-55mm 3.5-5.6, 50mm 1.8, 100mm 2.8 Macro, 75-300mm 4-5.6, Sigma 10-20mm 4-5.6
    flickr|Photoblog
    A picture is a frozen slice of time painted on paper.
    OK to edit and repost my shots on DPS

Jargon is offline dPS Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mdwsta4 View Post
    seeing as the recently announced 'fastest camera in the world' (canon mkIII) still uses CF cards, i'm not worried about it.
    The Canon EOS-1D Mark III also supports SecureDigital cards. I know of other devices that used to support CF cards, then later both CF and SD cards, and then just SD cards. Could Canon be moving in the same direction?
    Cameras: Canon EOS-1D Mark III, Canon EOS 5D Mark II, Kodak DX6490
    Lenses: Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM, Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM, Canon EF 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6L IS USM, Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM, Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM
    Flash: Canon Speedlite 580EX II

whiteflyer is offline dPS Forum Member

There is no way they are about get rid of CF cards.

Too many current and past cameras and other devices use this media, no company is going to dump such a large consumer base.

Could you really imagine the meeting at Sandisk where some guy stands up and says, Look I know there are Hundreds of millions of people out there who want to buy CF card but stuff them were not going to sell to them any more. He'd be looking for a new job very fast.

rikkersc is offline dPS Forum Member

I would imagine a lot more cameras will go to dual formats (where they take more than one kind of memory card) but I highly doubt they will eliminate CF cards.
    Way too many cameras are based on them, and like whiteflyer said, they make up a large part of the consumer base.
    Hey, they still make film don't they? Even with the large market in digital, they are not going to dump all of the film users.
    Even if CF becomes a lesser used format, they will continue to make them to keep their customers.
    I think the only way they would phase them out is if people stopped buying them.