Close
Close
Page 1 of 3 123 Last
    bsimp is offline Destroyer of pixels

Default Need entry level camera stand

Hi, new member here...

I've got a question that's probably been answered before but a quick search has yielded no good results.

I'm getting started with studio photography for small product shots, and I want to invest in a camera stand. I've got a nice Manfrotto tripod/pistol grip ballhead setup, but I know it's going to get tiring adjusting that thing constantly during product shoots.

I'd like to know if anyone has any recommendations on a good "entry level" camera stand. I've seen them for as little as $500 to start, and would be willing to drop up to $1000 for something that will last until outgrow it in a couple years. I might even be willing to go up to $1500 if it's a good quality product that will last me 3-4 years (meaning I'd probably not outgrow it).

If anyone has any experience with affordable stands please help a noob out. I've actually got a paying job coming up in the next several weeks and this would be a great time to invest in this gear.

FYI I shoot with a Canon 7D

Thanks

B

OsmosisStudios is online now Don't Panic

You want to buy another tripod because you're tired of setting this one up. Hate to break it to you; they're ALL going to need to be set up somewhat: a pistol grip head might actually be easier.

If you're doing products, though, the chances are you wont need to adjust much. Spending $500 (AWHA?!) isnt going to help with that.
    I am responsible for what I say; not what you understand.
    adammontpetit.com
    Gear List
    500PX | Graphic Design

Quote Originally Posted by OsmosisStudios View Post
    You want to buy another tripod because you're tired of setting this one up. Hate to break it to you; they're ALL going to need to be set up somewhat: a pistol grip head might actually be easier.

If you're doing products, though, the chances are you wont need to adjust much. Spending $500 (AWHA?!) isnt going to help with that.
    I'd like to thank you for taking the time to contribute nothing to this discussion, and marginally insult me in the process. I know what I need, I've worked with other product photographers in the past and every single one uses a camera stand, not a tripod. And there most certainly are some models that are sub-$1000. The question is are they worth buying.

I am looking for brand recommendations. If you don't have any such information then please keep your useless comments to yourself.

mikerob2334 is offline dPS Forum Member

WOW! Adam was just speaking the truth & I agree that you have pretty easy adjustment ability already.

Besides.......

Quote Originally Posted by bsimp View Post
    I know what I need, I've worked with other product photographers in the past and every single one uses a camera stand, not a tripod.
    You say you already know what you need. Then why ask here and jump on people making valid comments? Ask one of your buddies what brand theirs is.

Adam: Is this an ex-girlfriend of yours or something?
    Mike
    Gear:
    Olympus E-620, 14-42mm f/3.5, 40-150mm f/4, 50mm f/1.8
    Nikon N2000, Nikkor 50mm f/1.8

My Flickr | 500px | Blog | Twitter | Facebook

I'd like to thank you for taking the time to contribute nothing to this discussion, and marginally insult me in the process. I know what I need, I've worked with other product photographers in the past and every single one uses a camera stand, not a tripod. And there most certainly are some models that are sub-$1000. The question is are they worth buying.

I am looking for brand recommendations. If you don't have any such information then please keep your useless comments to yourself.
    You mean something like this?
    Camera Stands

I actually had to look that up; the term "camera stand" isn't as common and we get a lot of newcomers to photography here in the forums, and "stand" can easily be confused with "tripod", something quickly verifiable by a short Google search. While you used both terms, there was no way for me to know you weren't completely new. Furthermore, a quick search reveals that camera stands are generally only used for reproduction-type work or with large-format (4x5, 8x10) cameras, not dSLRs. But clearly I'M NO EXPERT

If you're looking for that kind of information, you'll want to check a more specific forum: DPS is for people looking for fairly general knowledge. This is definitely outside that.

Oh, and check the attitude at the door: my response was to your FIRST post here, and your second isn't making a very good impression.
    Last edited by OsmosisStudios; 02-27-2012 at 12:56 PM.
    adammontpetit.com
    Gear List
    500PX | Graphic Design

Roshenk is offline "f/2.8 and be there"

Hmmm..."not a good first impression" may be a bit of an understatement...is it possible to put a user on Ignore in this forum?
    I shoot Canon and carry Think Tank.
    Canon 6D... EF 135mm f/2L, EF 100mm f/2.8L MACRO, MP-E 65mm MACRO, EF 85mm f/1.8, Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Sigmalux, Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG, Sigma 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye, EF 200mm F/2.8L,
    Lensbaby Composer Pro 50mm/Edge 80/Fisheye, Samyang 85mm & 35mm f/1.4 MF

ZENFOLIO!....500Px

Preeb is offline dPS Forum Member

OS is an old timer here and has helped hundreds of photographers with their problems. You ask about a rather obscure piece of equipment which is easy to misunderstand (you wouldn't believe the terminology that many novices use) and get an answer which isn't in the least insulting, take offense, and then you DO insult him in your reply.

I don't really know why some people bother to ask a question, then tell the responders that they don't know what they are talking about. It seems to me that you could have Googled it just as easily as any of us can.
    Rick

Canon 60D; EF-S 10-22 f3.5-f4.5 USM; EF-S 17-55 f2.8 USM; EF-S 60mm f2.8 Macro; EF100mm f2.8 L IS Macro USM; EF 70-200 f4 L IS USM + 1.4x II TC --- Soon to have: Fuji Finepix XP 200 Waterproof

Quote Originally Posted by OsmosisStudios View Post
    You mean something like this?
    Camera Stands

I actually had to look that up; the term "camera stand" isn't as common and we get a lot of newcomers to photography here in the forums, and "stand" can easily be confused with "tripod", something quickly verifiable by a short Google search. While you used both terms, there was no way for me to know you weren't completely new. Furthermore, a quick search reveals that camera stands are generally only used for reproduction-type work or with large-format (4x5, 8x10) cameras, not dSLRs. But clearly I'M NO EXPERT

If you're looking for that kind of information, you'll want to check a more specific forum: DPS is for people looking for fairly general knowledge. This is definitely outside that.

Oh, and check the attitude at the door: my response was to your FIRST post here, and your second isn't making a very good impression.
    Check my attitude at the door? I wasn't the one with the "you don't know what you're talking about" tone in my post.

Clearly people are more interested in talking about my response than talking about photography equiopment. I didn't realize I was signing up for 4chan photography forums.

Using a tripod with twist-lock style legs is not a quick and easy way to adjust when shooting 15-20 shots of hundreds of products from multiple angles. And a camera stand is not uncommon, in fact quite the opposite. If you don't do studio work you probably don't know that, so my point was why answer at all?

And for the guy who said "ask my buddies", the people I worked with aren't my buddies. I barely knew them. I was directing shoots years ago on assignment. I barely remember their names. All I know is, the way they had their studio set up allowed for quick and easy movement of the camera around a seamless backdrop on a stand.

I came here looking for people who had experience with this and recommendations. It really isn't a foreign question. Who has experience with this and what are their recommendations for someone new to it?

While it's not as common as tripods, it's not that unusual. Here are some examples.

Steady in the Studio: Tether Tools and Tabelz Laptop Camera Stand Tables (Professional Photographer Magazine Web Exclusives)

http://akelstudio.s3.amazonaws.com/b...er-atlanta.jpg

AJ's Studio & Camera Supplies, FOBA DSS-Alpha Studio Camera Stand

Hopefully this clarifies things. Thanks.

Check my attitude at the door? I wasn't the one with the "you don't know what you're talking about" tone in my post.

Clearly people are more interested in talking about my response than talking about photography equiopment. I didn't realize I was signing up for 4chan photography forums.
    First of all: I didnt say that you don't know what you're talking about. I told you that all tripods would require setup, regardless of what combination you used, and that you'd likely be better off with what you had. This was because, as I've indicated, I believed you were using "stand" and "tripod" interchangeably. You came back on the complete offensive. My reference to you "leaving your attitude at the door" was if you had taken my (sensible) advice and gone to a forum that specializes in this kind of thing; there's nothing like being a douche on your first or second post to sour things for others.

You didn't sign up for 4chan; just because others have agreed with me doesn't mean we're all out to get you or are some catty bunch of kids.

Now: You're more than welcome to use a camera stand; I didn't say they were unheard of but that they weren't something common because, frankly, they're not. They may be common to people working on a standalone studio all the time, but I'd say that 99.9% of the users here dont do that: a fact I mentioned in my earlier response. DPS isn't a specialized forum; we're here to help new and established photographers learn everything from the basics to some considerably more in-depth stuff about their craft: Many have no studio experience, and most don't have/run/rent their own studio.

As I've said already before, you're best bet is to actually find somewhere or someone that does this kind of thing for a living and ask them; we're likely not going to be much help on an expensive and uncommon piece of equipment.

Hell you want my advice? Find something HEAVY. It's supposed to hold your camera and, presumably, a laptop or some other tethering device; I'd only trust something solid and likely heavy, especially if you're going to be making minute adjustments and expecting them to stick.

There, now stop whining about any perceived slight you may have received here: you've gotten nothing but courteous replies from several people telling you to lay off, so do yourself a favour and listen to them.
    adammontpetit.com
    Gear List
    500PX | Graphic Design

Rentham is offline Everything is permissible

Douchetastic.

Page 1 of 3 123 Last