Close
Close
    Steve Pedersen is offline Trucking Photog Monkey

Question used Tamron AF 180mm f/3.5 Di SP A/M FEC LD (IF)

I have the opportunity to pick up a used Tamron 180mm lens for 530.00 the catch is that the Af motor is dead.
    As I want this lens exclusively for macro work I don't see that as a big issue.
    As far as i know everything else on the lens is in perfect shape.
    does it sound like a good deal to you guy's ? if I pick it up what would be a good way to test the metering and other function's on the lens ?
    the seller has promised that if I am not satisfied with it on arrival I can send it back for a full refund.
    your advice greatly appreciated.

OsmosisStudios is offline Don't Panic

2 ways of looking at it:

Are you getting the lens from the seller in-person, or over an online market (like amazon or ebay?). If the former: test it to make sure its still fine otherwise. If it is, then I'd consider it, but not at that price. They're $690 on adorama right now, and while $160 difference is substantial, it's not enough for a lens that is missing a large portion of it's functionality.

That said: I don't think I'd get it myself. If the AF motor is dead, the odds of it having another issue (or it having been abused) is considerable. Furthermore, not having AF, even on a macro, would be a considerable issue. The price they're asking for a broken lens is outrageous. You'd be better off getting a new one
    I am responsible for what I say; not what you understand.
    Website
    Gear List
    500PX

Steve Pedersen is offline Trucking Photog Monkey

Thank you, I decided not to pick it up.