Close
Close
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    Gina9942 is offline Awesomelyfantastical!

Default Newborn Photographers, Backdrop stand!!

I am curious as to what you newborn photographers use as a backdrop stand. I see all the setups, with the bean bags in front and the stand holding the blanket in back, what kind of stand, I need that stand! I am not sure which one works best. Also I see some people use garment racks, thoughts? Suggestions? Thanks!!
    Website Facebook Fan Me!

~This post is a natural product made from recycled electrons. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects.~

SusanH1970 is offline Am I in trouble again?

The one I have is very similar to this one. If I'm using a blanket as a backdrop going over the beanbag, I just use A clamps to hold it to the crossbar.

Other times I've just draped the blanket over the beanbag and over the back of a couch - did that in this photo. Here's how it was set up (I used window light for this session).

Hope this helps.
    Susan
    Mostly Canon stuff
    My Flickr
    Facebook - new photos always posted and always happy for new "likes"!
    Website going through an overhaul!

Gina9942 is offline Awesomelyfantastical!

That is awesome!! I've been researching to see what is the best and most portable. Do you use sandbags to keep it weighed down? You can clamp any fabric to it right? I did a recent newborn session and it made me realize how badly I really need a backdrop stand.

On a total side note, cause I adore your photos, do you use solo natural light, or do you have some other set up. This weekend I used a two umbrella set up with lights, which were really weak, not sure they did much, but what is you take on portable lighting?
    Website Facebook Fan Me!

~This post is a natural product made from recycled electrons. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects.~

Thanks for the kind words. :-)

The only time I weighted it down was on an outdoor maternity shoot and it was a bit breezy. It's really quite sturdy, especially when I don't have to have it up at full height for newborns.

I try to use natural light when I can for newborns, but there are times when I can't. The last newborn I photographed lived in a tiny, dark house that got very little light. I have an AlienBee 400 with a large softbox that I use for those situations. It's got more than enough power and I adore the quality of light that the softbox gives. There's virtually no spill, it's easy to control, and the light just "wraps around" the subject beautifully. These are from the last newborn session I did, using the AB:

Moody, dramatic BW | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Serene BW | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Precious Gift BW | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

(This one I wish I'd positioned the baby to be facing the other way, I don't like the shadowing LOL)
    Smiley Girl | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Hope this helps, too! That stand is great. When I arrive at a client's home, it usually takes me about 10 minutes to set up the stand, backdrop and light and I'm good to go.

ETA: I fanned your page on Facebook!
    Last edited by SusanH1970; 11-23-2010 at 02:38 PM.
    Susan
    Mostly Canon stuff
    My Flickr

NicoleScraps is offline \m/\>.</\m/

I need a portable backdrop stand too. The one that I did recently, I just drapped my backdrop over the backs of two kitchen chairs that I had pushed together. It worked out fine, but may not always work for what I need to do.

sarahdavis is offline dPS Forum Member

Thanks for all the information Susan, really appreciate it. Do you use your background stand mostly for just newborn shoots or is it large enough to do a whole family? It's cold here now, I'm enjoying slowing down for now, but by Feb. I'll be about to lose my mind. I've gotta get something figured out for additional lighting for newborn shoots. Especially now that DST has hit, natural light indoor evening shoots don't work "quite" as well when it's pitch black outside at 5!
    Sarah ~ I love my Canon 50D
    Website
    Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by sarahdavis View Post
    Thanks for all the information Susan, really appreciate it. Do you use your background stand mostly for just newborn shoots or is it large enough to do a whole family? It's cold here now, I'm enjoying slowing down for now, but by Feb. I'll be about to lose my mind. I've gotta get something figured out for additional lighting for newborn shoots. Especially now that DST has hit, natural light indoor evening shoots don't work "quite" as well when it's pitch black outside at 5!
    Hi Sarah, happy to help! I've used the stand for families. The crossbar is telescopic and I believe extends to ten feet.

Regarding lighting, I'm a big fan of Alien Bees. I've posted on other theads in detail, let me know if you'd like me to find the links.

ETA: Nevermind, I just saw you found one of the threads I was referring to.
    Last edited by SusanH1970; 11-29-2010 at 02:11 PM.
    Susan
    Mostly Canon stuff
    My Flickr

Car2n is offline dPS Forum Member

A telescopic crossbar is key.
    I had one that confined me to the full width of 9' plus whatever room the legs took up. It was unusable in a lot of places. I now have one that is telescopic and can adjust the width down to suit where the stand is being used.
    Canon 1D mkIII / 70-200mm f/2.8L IS / 17-40mm f/4L / 50mm 1.4 / 580EXII / Manfrotto 055XPROB/488RC2
    http://www.paultography.ca

SuperDan is offline never wants to grow up

Nice and easy thread here.
    I've been torn on buying a backdrop stand... and in my past two sessions, they actually would have been in the way, or not enough room for them.

I do want to get one soon though anyways
    Nikon Gear: D7000 with now making my D40 a backup
    There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs. ~Ansel Adams

phaither is offline trying to see the light..

i ordered the stand and love it. how do you store the seamless paper? it's becoming a nuisance...

Page 1 of 2 12 Last