Close
Close
Page 1 of 7 123 ... Last
    creative_one is offline dPS Forum Member

Exclamation Best Laptop for Photography????

Hi EveryOne,

What is the best laptop for photography - editing & all???
    Im kinda can't come to a decision on either a sony or Mac book Pro.

Thanks

UPDATE Thanks to everyone who as posted their advice! I went & got my laptop on Saturday!
    Last edited by creative_one; 09-13-2010 at 07:18 PM.
    Creative One
    Love what u do & do what u love!
    http://photographer-s-world.blogspot.com/
    Nikon D60 ~ 55-200mm ~ 18-55mm

prince is offline dPS +1000 Club

May I ask why a Sony? I'd prefer HP or Dell over Sony if you are going for Windows laptop.. There was a thread some time back on this if you wanna check out..

Photologyst is offline dPS +1000 Club

MacBook Pro hands down.

To convince yourself, you should take a CD and test all prospects out very thoroughly. Read reviews as well.

creative_one is offline dPS Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by prince View Post
    May I ask why a Sony? I'd prefer HP or Dell over Sony if you are going for Windows laptop.. There was a thread some time back on this if you wanna check out..
    Well cause i heard that some photographers use sony as well as dell & HP.
    So what would you recommend & why???
    Creative One
    Love what u do & do what u love!
    http://photographer-s-world.blogspot.com/
    Nikon D60 ~ 55-200mm ~ 18-55mm

jerome.oneil is offline Rather be shooting!
    Wrightsville, PA - Along the awesome Susquehanna River

Default 17" MacBook Pro (period)

With these options:
    Intel 2.66 Core i7
    17" antiglare widescreen
    8GB Ram
    NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M with 512MB (IMHO, the best graphics processor in laptops)

Warning: it's going to cost you $3000; don't forget to get Applecare $350 for 3 years of worry free photo editing.

Jerome
    I take pictures because the voices in my head tell me to!

Flickr Photostream,
    My DPS Profile

Exiztence is offline dPS Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jerome.oneil View Post
    With these options:
    Intel 2.66 Core i7
    17" antiglare widescreen
    8GB Ram
    NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M with 512MB (IMHO, the best graphics processor in laptops)

Warning: it's going to cost you $3000; don't forget to get Applecare $350 for 3 years of worry free photo editing.

Jerome
    I'd rather save a lot of money and get a windows laptop with the same specs.
    You can buy a lot of nice stuff for the $1500 you'll save. (Lenses? Oh yes!)

Or even better. I'd get a nice desktop with a large monitor that displays colors better than a laptop screen and give you a bigger display to do photo editing.
    Last edited by Exiztence; 09-08-2010 at 07:59 PM.
    Gear: Nikon D5000 - Sigma 17-70mm OS HSM f/2.8-f/4 - Nikkor AF-S 35mm f/1.8

Exiztence's Flickr

jerome.oneil is offline Rather be shooting!
    Wrightsville, PA - Along the awesome Susquehanna River

Quote Originally Posted by Exiztence View Post

Or even better. I'd get a nice desktop with a large monitor that displays colors better than a laptop screen and give you a bigger display to do photo editing.
    Everyone has a budget and/or priorities but you are correct. However, Creative_One asked for opinions on the best laptop for photography. IMHO, you're not going to beat the performance, stability, or ease of use of a Mac with anything in the consumer market. And if Creative_One wants a bigger display he can choose any DVI supported display, including a 60" Toshiba LED HDTV.
    I take pictures because the voices in my head tell me to!

Flickr Photostream,
    My DPS Profile

Photologyst is offline dPS +1000 Club

Quote Originally Posted by Exiztence View Post

It is a fallacy to believe that PCs cost less. Because, you constantly have to purchase stuff that is not included. While EVERYTHING that you need is included in a mac from superb/fast graphics cards to a whole suite of great software including decent photo/video software. If you have Windows software you can certainly use that on a dual processor MBP.

I would suggest that anyone do some serious research before they plunk their money down for a Windoze machine that all too often will crash, hang and drive you nutz. My macs literally never crash or get hung up. (Obviously I keep them clean.)

One can purchase a previously owned MBP for less: Used Macs and Used Apple Notebooks: Reconditioned MacBook Pros, PowerBooks, Mac Books, And iBooks - Mac Of All Trades

I own half a dozen macs and would NEVER purchase a PC on my dime, and most certainly never a desk top. You need a laptop in the field. A 15” works best for me, because I shove that into a back-pack or rolling office. Add a large screen at home and you have the most versatile system. Desk tops are being phased out. They are passée because, today’s laptops are just as powerful and portable.

Most professional photographers and creative types uses mac laptops.

To make the best decision for you, you need to simply try out all contenders.

Good luck!
    Last edited by Photologyst; 09-08-2010 at 08:32 PM.

kirbinster is offline Always carry your camera

I don't think there are any laptops good for photo editing. I have a friend who is just getting into using Lightroom and he loaded it on his notebook. In all seriousness he asked me what is the point to Lightroom as he can make the picture look however he wants just by tilting the screen a different angle.

That is the problem with working on a laptop, the picture changes as the angle of the screen changes.
    Nikon D800e, D300, D5000, NIKON GLASS 85mm F/1.8 D, 105mm f/2.8 Micro AF-S VR, 70-200 AF-S VR f/2.8, 28-300 AF-S VRII,10.5mm Fisheye, 24-70 AF-S f/2.8, TC-20E III AF-S, Sigma 12-24 HSM, Sigma 30mm f/1.4 HSM, Sigma 150-500 OS, 2 SB-600 Speedlights, SB-900 speedlight, 4 YN-622N transceivers, Manfrotto 190MF3 tripod & 322RC2 ball grip head. - NJ, USA
    Flickr Photobucket
    Ok to edit and repost my shots on DPS forums

79oO9a is offline dPS Forum Member

I just bought my 13" MacBook Pro and i'm really Loving it, I don't think i'll go back to PC again
    ~ Hessa.Zamzam~ *♥
    “I always thought good photos were like good jokes. If you have to explain it, it just isn’t that good.” !

Page 1 of 7 123 ... Last