Close
Close
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: A Gift

katia is offline dPS Forum Member

Default A Gift

Took this one during a recent maternity shoot.

Does it look over-sharpened?

Any other critiques & comments are always welcome!

Nikon D90
    f/3.2
    1/160

PS - Trying out the Flickr "Guest Pass" thing - I didn't want this photo to appear in my photostream but I wanted to link to the full sized image. Hopefully you all can see this? A Gift - Guest Pass
    Last edited by katia; 12-21-2012 at 07:42 PM.

SLWRTHNU is offline -Love Child-

no such thing as too sharp!!

well there is but I'm a fan of upping the sharpness, contrast, and saturation on most photos I do.

I like the photo.
    All Photos Taken With NikonD5100 & 35mm Prime. Love The Challenge!

PhotosbyKyle.ca

Check Out My Instagram!

RichardTaylor is offline dPS +1000 Club

It looks ok on my monitor and I do like the photograph.

NgaiHill is online now Far Too Snap Happy

Wow, that gift/present is so out of place with the old wood of the bridge that the brighter colour and the possible oversharpening really enhanced the whole effect.
    I'm not sure what I'm trying to say here but I love it!
    LISA
    Canon EOS 600D, 50mm, 18-55mm & 55-250 mm kit lens for the flash stuff.
    Olympus Tough 8010, waterproof, shockproof compact P&S - great for the kids.

Flickr

sk66 is offline Lovable Contrarian

At this size (which is a little larger than forum rules allow) I can't see any issues with the image...
    Looks like selective color done by pulling down the saturation by individual color channels. It doesn't bother me but I'm not sure it helps either.

I guess I just don't "get it." Why is it on the footbridge? I could kind of see a story if it was way at the far end of the bridge... As it is, to me it just seems out of place and leaves me wondering what the point is.

Whoops!! Sorry about that, I uploaded to Photobucket this time instead of Flickr and forgot about the size difference between the two. I will try and fix it.

The weird thing about this photo (and the thing that made me sorta drawn to it when I uploaded) - that's just how the day was. No selective coloring at all. In fact I didn't do a whole lot of processing to this image.

As for the "why?" I don't know! The couple who I was doing the shoot for actually came up with this idea. They placed it there and thought it would be cute, with the mocassins that an old relative made for the new baby-to-be! I kind of like it though, I guess you could look at it as they're soon going to be stepping into their new life; their little "gift from God" (if you believe in that). Personally I believe babies come from fornicating but I digress.

Is it against the rules if I post another version of this photo? I have a "warm" version (as this one is very on the cool side) and I'm not sure which I like better. The cool version definitely has more mysterious tones to it.

Anyways, thanks for all the comments and feedback!

Sidenote; incoming rant....

Why can't DPS just get rid of the useless, dead space on either side of the forum and allow images of at least 800 pixels wide!? OR why don't they just install the vBulletin plugin that automatically scales images down to the forum width, with an option of clicking a little bar up top that takes the viewer to the full sized image? 99% of images posted here are hosted and hotlinked from elsewhere so it's not like they're worried about bandwidth?

/rant
    Last edited by katia; 12-21-2012 at 06:55 PM.

Also, sk66, I'm glad you replied, because I believe it was you who mentioned sharpening in LAB yesterday. This is my first attempt at LAB sharpening! And I must say, I quite like it, I've tried it on a few photos of my snakes and it works really well. Just making sure I'm not overdoing it, though.

sk66 is offline Lovable Contrarian

Quote Originally Posted by katia View Post
    Also, sk66, I'm glad you replied, because I believe it was you who mentioned sharpening in LAB yesterday. This is my first attempt at LAB sharpening! And I must say, I quite like it, I've tried it on a few photos of my snakes and it works really well. Just making sure I'm not overdoing it, though.
    You can usually get away with more sharpening in LAB mode than you can otherwise. Glad it's working for you.

Here is the warmer version. Definitely doesn't have that selective coloring look to it. Can't decide which I prefer:

View in high-res here

Anybody care to let me know which one they prefer? The first (cool) or the second (warm) version?

Page 1 of 2 12 Last