First brief introduction. 73 years young, first camera Kodak Box, upgrade from "pin hole!"

Interests vary from nature to landscapes to macro.

My advice on "learning" photography begins with the camera, whether it be a "point and shoot" or a "whizz bang w/bells and whistles!"

With today's equipment and processing software, photography has taken on a new meaning.
It's no longer "what you see is what you get!" In camera or post processing can create a "new" image.

A photographer should be able to "create" an image, regardless of the camera and this is my point. With today's digital, taking images is far less expensive than film. Granted, there are pros and cons to film and digital. Each to his own.

The learning process starts with an intimate knowledge of ALL the various functions of shutter speed, f-stops, depth of field and ISO. Spend a day practicing. Take the automatic mode off, use shutter control, aperture control and different ISO's. Learn the effect of each.
Do not look for award winning images. Learn what happens if I do this or that.

Pick subjects as mundane as running tap water or a spray of water to see the effects of shutter speed. Select a row of fence posts to learn depth of field and how aperture affects the results. Use low light levels and the effect ISO has on the results.

Spend an hour with lens set at minimum focus. Try stop action, blurred images, panning action at slow shutter speeds.

I am sure many here are familiar with the above techniques. My efforts are not meant to be a duplication of any previous posts or suggestions but merely a reminder.

With camera tucked safely away in a bag, pocket or glove box (?), the learning process is stymied. Set aside an hour saying, "I am going on a creative adventure. Best of all, have fun.Enjoy!