Close
Close
    tkdgirlms is offline Hey y'all!

Default New camera that has more options then used to

I just got the Olympus SP-810UZ tonight and am reading thru the manual for it. I've read a lot of good things about it and am looking forward to using it. I've never had so many options with other cameras I've owned (my last camera is at the bottom of a lake after a canoeing mishap last weekend). What is the recommended shutter speed, ISO, and aperture? Or have I not gotten far enough into the manual to find this info. I really enjoy photographing the outdoors (especially wildlife - see the few pics I have in my album). I can't wait to learn more about my camera and get better with my photography. Thanks for the help!

inkista is offline Gear Geek Girl

Quote Originally Posted by tkdgirlms View Post
    What is the recommended shutter speed, ISO, and aperture?...
    Sorry, but the real answer here is "it depends." All three settings affect how much light you get in the exposure, and which ones you should use will depend on the scene you want to shoot and how much light there is in it.

The best book on the subject of which settings to use and why is Bryan Peterson's Understanding Exposure. But you can also google around for "exposure triangle".

Happy new camera!
    I shoot with a Canon 5DmkII, 50D, and S90, and Pansonic GX-7. flickr stream and equipment list

tkdgirlms is offline Hey y'all!

Thanks for the info! I work in a library and found that book to borrow. I have a LOT to learn!

bluebendphoto is offline I'm new here!

iso depends on how much light is available. i like to keep my iso as low as possible without dragging my shutter below 1/60. if you are outside in daylight you should have no problem shooting at iso 50 or 100. that way you can keep your grain to a minimum.

aperture all depends on how much you want in focus. shooting "wide open" (f2.8 or whatever the fastest aperture is) will give you very little in focus and let in A LOT of light all at once... you'll need a faster shutter speed and lower iso with this.

if you want a lot in focus you'll need to close down your aperture, which means slowing the shutter and possibly upping the iso to keep the shutter above 1/60