Close
Close
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    mikerob2334 is offline dPS Forum Member

Default Olympus E-620 opinions??

Just looking for general opinions from anyone that has an E-620. Pros/cons as a first DSLR?
    I would be transitioning from a P&S Canon S3 IS.
    Thanks
    Mike
    Gear:
    Olympus E-620, 14-42mm f/3.5, 40-150mm f/4, 50mm f/1.8
    Nikon N2000, Nikkor 50mm f/1.8

My Flickr | 500px | Blog | Twitter | Facebook

xinman is offline Master of nothing

mikerob2334,

I have had my e-620 Since November of 2009 and I shoot fairly regularly. I must say for the money I put into my e-620 and the thought I put into which camera to buy, I love my camera. As with all things there are things that I wish it did better or different. I got mine with the 14-42 and the 40-150mm lenses. Both are good for starting out. I love the articulated screen, it really makes some shots possible.

In this shot, Looks like sun rays made out of wood
    Thumbnail, the camera was about 1 inch off the ground but because of the screen I could frame the shot and it turned out good. The glowing buttons have been nice, the art filters (gallery)do come in handy occasionally. The noise levels could be better, but for an entry level dslr I think they are pretty good. Lens choice is another matter, there isn't a lot like on the big names, but most of the lenses are really nice. I have 7 lenses now, 4 of which are OM (gallery) and I have to use an adapter and manually focus them.

I also have a Olympus FL-36R flash, some say it doesn't put out enough light but for what I use it is fine.

I've always like my canons when I was using point and shoots but when I went to buy a dslr I spent over 6 months looking at specs and pictures and reading up about experiences. In the end Olympus won out, I will say the Canon 60d caught my eye, but I'm sticking with my e-620 for at least another probably 2 years. Unless the price of the e-5 comes down, then maybe I'll jump on that.

Feel free to check out my Flickr: dm|ze's Photostream. Most of the images are from my Olympus e-620 and if you have any questions feel free to ask.

Dan
    Currently shooting with: Olympus e-620 with 14-42mm, 40-150mm 70-300mm and 50mm f/1.4 and 1.8, 28mm f/2.8 Soligor 35-140mm Macro OM lenses,
    Checkout my flickr

Thanks xinman, I think I'm going for it. I've got a friend who is willing to trade me her E-620, two lenses, lens hoods and bag for my ipad.
    Mike
    Gear:

I don't think you'll be sorry you did, it is a fine camera.
    Currently shooting with: Olympus e-620 with 14-42mm, 40-150mm 70-300mm and 50mm f/1.4 and 1.8, 28mm f/2.8 Soligor 35-140mm Macro OM lenses,
    Checkout my flickr

Quote Originally Posted by xinman View Post
    I don't think you'll be sorry you did, it is a fine camera.
    Nope, I'm not. This camera is nice but the menus are a maze. Seems like there are 4 or 5 ways to do everything. She barely used it so it looks brand new. Got the kit lenses with it: 14-42mm and 40-150mm
    Mike
    Gear:

Yeah the menus have a lot in them. I would recommend going through the manual and figuring out your settings. Once you have you settings set up you really won't use the menus too often. Most things you will change can be changed from the super control panel.
    Checkout my flickr

Papa Rotzzi Guest

And you can always set up a few "MyModes" with your common settings for different types of shooting.

Yeah that is a pretty cool feature too, but you can only have 2 modes I think. It just seems like you should be able to have more than that.
    Checkout my flickr

Papa Rotzzi Guest

Quote Originally Posted by xinman View Post
    Yeah that is a pretty cool feature too, but you can only have 2 modes I think. It just seems like you should be able to have more than that.
    It has been awhile since I checked, but I think you have access to 4.. two mymodes and two "custom resets".

LeeR is offline Professional Wanderer

I don't have the 620 but I do have some Olympus equipment and I know it is high quality and a good bang for the buck. However, if I had it to do over, I would not have any of my hard earned dollars in Olympus. Recently Olympus has indicated they are going to move away from the professional cameras and concentrate on the EVIL line.(see the article here.) No one can blame them for choosing an avenue where they have the potential to not only do well, but also dominate; certainly they have no chance of overtaking the big two in the foreseeable future. That would indicate to me, that as good as this camera may be, and as good a deal as you may be getting, you may support for your camera dwindling in the future.
    Lee R
    http://lucentbydesign.blogspot.com//
    The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes but in having new eyes.
    -Marcel Proust

Page 1 of 2 12 Last