Close
Close
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    GadgetRick is offline dPS Forum Member

Default 50mm f1.8 vs. 50mm f1.4

Ok, so I've got a couple of friends who shoot pro. They both have liked what I've done enough to offer me jobs shooting some weddings coming up. I'll be walking around getting crowd shots (so to say). I would like to get a faster lens and am considering a 50mm as I will be able to get close enough/far enough away to get shots with it (I believe).

My budget is, well, not much. I have read great things about the f1.8 Nikon lens and it's only around $100. The f1.4 is a couple of hundred bucks more and it would be rough scraping up enough cash right now.

I'm wondering if the f1.4 is $200 better than the f1.8. I won't be shooting at f1.4 very often (hell, even 1.8) due to the DOF so I don't really think the extra stop will be terribly helpful. I'm sure the f1.4 is better glass but is the f1.8 good enough?

I'm also thinking, I could get the f1.8 now and, if I earn more money--and it makes sense--I can always pick up the f1.4 later and sell the f1.8 and not really lose anything since I'll be earning with the f1.8 and it's not expensive to begin with.

I can also use this lens for some indoor sports I'm shooting (wrestling/jiu jitsu) because I can get close enough/far enough away from the action to make the focal length useful. Just have to get my lazy butt moving more often.

Thanks.

kirbinster is offline Always carry your camera

Think you have answered the question yourself - go for the f/1.8 !
    Nikon D800e, D300, D5000, NIKON GLASS 85mm F/1.8 D, 105mm f/2.8 Micro AF-S VR, 70-200 AF-S VR f/2.8, 28-300 AF-S VRII,10.5mm Fisheye, 24-70 AF-S f/2.8, TC-20E III AF-S, Sigma 12-24 HSM, Sigma 30mm f/1.4 HSM, Sigma 150-500 OS, 2 SB-600 Speedlights, SB-900 speedlight, 4 YN-622N transceivers, Manfrotto 190MF3 tripod & 322RC2 ball grip head. - NJ, USA
    Flickr Photobucket
    Ok to edit and repost my shots on DPS forums

Quote Originally Posted by kirbinster View Post
    Think you have answered the question yourself - go for the f/1.8 !
    Kinda have made up my mind on this one. Just wanted to know if there was a compelling reason to spend another $200 on the f1.4. From everything I've read, the f1.8 is a fine lens so I think I'm alright but I usually defer to those of you who know vastly more than me about this sort of thing.

Thanks.

driftangel is offline I'm new here!

I don't know whats with the Nikon lenses, but the Canon f/1.8 has a plastic mount. That could be the only thing that can bother you.

I would go for the 1.4 personally, but thats just because it has a better bookeh, construction and its sharper. Well thats if the Nikonlenses are the same as canon.

From what I can tell, the f1.4 is a more, "professional," lens but I can't determine (exactly) what is meant by that as I've never seen anyone compare them side by side. If money weren't tight, I'd just have gone for the f1.4. I'm just trying to determine if it's worth waiting (and saving) for the f1.4.

The first wedding they want me to do is in early Feb so I have a little time but, if I wait and save, I won't really have enough time to get the lens and play with it to learn it. I can go buy the f1.8 right now and have it for (almost) a month to play with to learn. I also don't want to screw up anyone's wedding pictures--especially if they're paying for them!

manatag is offline I'm new here!

Quote Originally Posted by GadgetRick View Post
    From what I can tell, the f1.4 is a more, "professional," lens but I can't determine (exactly) what is meant by that as I've never seen anyone compare them side by side...
    Canon EF 50mm – F1.4 vs F1.8 MK II - photo.net

tweetykl is offline I'm new here!

I have never held the 1.8 but I did purchase the Canon 1.4 and <3 LOVE <3 it! It has some weight to it and does amazing shots!!!!
    My Flickr
    Canon Rebel T1i with Canon 50mm f1.4 and Canon EF-S 18-55mm IS Kit Lens
    Any lens suggestions?

bildio is offline I'm new here!

I'm ready to buy a 50mm lens too. The f/1.8 gets great reviews. However, when I look at the customer images on Amazon, the f/1.4 images generally look sharper than the f/1.8 images. I don't know if this is due to the lenses or the photographers or some other factors.

Thanks but that's Canon. Would it be the same on the Nikon? I'm new enough not to know...

beatryder is offline I'm new here!

I have a friend who recently purchased the F1.4 50mm for his nikon, he used to have the F1.8

When I asked him which he preferred, he said the f1.8 as it was sharper at f1.8 than the f1.4 was.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last