Close
Close
    Maggie Sharp is offline I'm new here!

Cool How to adjust shutter speed and aperture (Nikon D3000)

My Nikon D3000 has a dial in which is used to adjust aperture and shutter speed. Even when using different settings, I can't seem to figure out how to adjust them both without the camera taking control of one. Is it possible for me to have total control over both aperture and shutter speed, without the camera controling one, even though the same dial is used to control them?

I hope that made sense...

AdamR is offline dPS Forum Member

Is your mode dial on Av, Tv. or M? if you want total control it should be on M

natek313 is offline dPS Forum Member

As Adam points out, the camera should be set to Manual mode if you want to be able to set all of the controls yourself.

If you are in Aperture Priority (Av) or Shutter Priority (Tv), then you will only be able to set the aperture or shutter speed, respectively. When shooting in Av, you select the aperture size, and the camera will automatically select the shutter speed so that it will give the "proper" exposure according to how it meters the scene. When shooting in Tv, the opposite happens - you select the shutter speed, and the camera will automatically select the aperture so that it will give the "proper" exposure according to how it meters the scene.

I hope this helps.
    Flickr
    Model Mayhem - I'd love to work with you!
    Twitter - Follow me!
    facebook - Become my fan!

Page 71 of your manual. (There's a lot of good stuff in there...)

In M Mode (Manual)...rotate the dial to change the shutter speed. While pressing the +/- button, rotate the dial to change aperture.

Maggie Sharp is offline I'm new here!

Talking Thanks

Thanks, I didn't expect it to be so simple.