Close
Close

Thread: D90 or D5100

jayson f is offline I'm new here!

Default D90 or D5100

Guys need your opinion because I will be changing my system from Canon to Nikon. Right now I'm eyeing for D90 and D5100, I like the D90 because of it's advance controls and semi pro body, but D5100 has a newer image sensor and I like the image quality of that. I know someone would say choose the D7000, my budget is way beyond D7000 that's why I'm choosing between the two.

KevRev123 is offline Bacon and Bubbles

A D7000 could still be in your range if you don't mind buying used.

That being said the D90 and D5100 are on two different levels.

The D90 while older than the D5100 is a pro-sumer camera and will allow you to use older AF-D lenses that required a physical mechanical connection via a body screw to activate the auto-focus which means you can find some good deals on eBay for lenses to play around with. It will also allow you to use commander mode which will allow you to trigger certain Nikon flashes via the pop-up flash. Also the build quality will be better. There is an official battery grip for it and though it is no flagship camera, it will shoot faster than the D5100.

The only advantage the D5100 has over the D90 will be the amazing sensor that is from the D7000 and an articulating screen if you really care. Also the 1080P video mode. It won't allow you to do any of the stuff I just mentioned, it's still part of Nikon's entry level, though higher than the D3000 series.

But really the D7000 is the best choice. As much as I loved my D90, I still upgraded to the D7000 and it was on a different level. If I had a need for a 2nd DSLR I would not hesitate to get a D7000 again or even a D90 but so far my D3 serves me well.
    My Website: OMGSquirrel | Flickr | Gear: D3, Df, Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 UMC AE IF-ED, AF-S Nikkor 35mm f/1.4G, AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G, AF-S VR Zoom-Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G IF-ED, SB-700, SB-600, Manfrotto 055CXPRO3, Induro PHQ1

mottyboy is offline Banned

i'd second the D7000 if yo can afford it.

kirbinster is offline Always carry your camera

I'm with everyone on the D7000, but if you can't swing it I would go for the D5100. The image sensor is far above that in the D90. Further, since you are just getting into Nikon stuff you don't have older lenses that need a motor in the camera.
    Nikon D800e, D300, D5000, NIKON GLASS 85mm F/1.8 D, 105mm f/2.8 Micro AF-S VR, 70-200 AF-S VR f/2.8, 28-300 AF-S VRII,10.5mm Fisheye, 24-70 AF-S f/2.8, TC-20E III AF-S, Sigma 12-24 HSM, Sigma 30mm f/1.4 HSM, Sigma 150-500 OS, 2 SB-600 Speedlights, SB-900 speedlight, 4 YN-622N transceivers, Manfrotto 190MF3 tripod & 322RC2 ball grip head. - NJ, USA
    Flickr Photobucket
    Ok to edit and repost my shots on DPS forums

cdmicha is offline i shoot people

Quote Originally Posted by jayson f View Post
    Guys need your opinion because I will be changing my system from Canon to Nikon. Right now I'm eyeing for D90 and D5100, I like the D90 because of it's advance controls and semi pro body, but D5100 has a newer image sensor and I like the image quality of that. I know someone would say choose the D7000, my budget is way beyond D7000 that's why I'm choosing between the two.
    This will sound like a question from a Canon fanboy (I realize my signature doesn't help any as well), but why are you switching? If you have a decent Canon body and a few lenses already, you could use the money you are looking at spending on a new body/system and put that towards a great lens. As much fun as it is getting a new camera body, for me at least, lenses have always spurred creativity and opened doors far more often than body changes.

What sorts of things do you enjoy photographing? What sorts of features would you most like to have?
    Chris
    6D/70D/EM5

jayson f is offline I'm new here!

Quote Originally Posted by cdmicha View Post
    This will sound like a question from a Canon fanboy (I realize my signature doesn't help any as well), but why are you switching? If you have a decent Canon body and a few lenses already, you could use the money you are looking at spending on a new body/system and put that towards a great lens. As much fun as it is getting a new camera body, for me at least, lenses have always spurred creativity and opened doors far more often than body changes.

What sorts of things do you enjoy photographing? What sorts of features would you most like to have?
    my lenses only 50mm f1.8 and kitlens. because 1 time I use nikon body for me it fits good in my hand and also i like some of it's features.

cdmicha is offline i shoot people

Quote Originally Posted by jayson f View Post
    my lenses only 50mm f1.8 and kitlens. because 1 time I use nikon body for me it fits good in my hand and also i like some of it's features.
    If you are set with spending the money on another system, then go for it. In the end, it's your choice how to spend your money, and if Nikon just plain works and feels better for you, awesome. If you are wanting to switch brands, now is a better time than years down the road when you've collected some more expensive glass

The only reason I asked why is because at the price point of a new 5100/D90 plus lens, you could get something like the 15-85 IS USM lens (a very nice lens for crop sensor cameras), or even a couple of nice primes to compliment your 50mm.
    Chris
    6D/70D/EM5