Close
Close
Page 3 of 3 First 123
    velvet4269 is offline dPS +1000 Club

I was able to find a floor model D90 in a store tonight, but wasn't able to turn it on to really play with it. I did like the feel of it over the D5000 (which felt really small in my hands - tho the articulating screen was pretty spiffy).

That said, events from tonight have pretty much pushed back my ability to save for a new camera back considerably. :\ At least it gives me more time.
    I've been in a lot of "sink or swim" situations, and I've never seen "sinking" as an option.

Olympus E-500 / Nikon D7000 / Blog / Gallery / Flickr / 500px

OK to edit and repost my photo(s) only in the DPS forums

Aaaand .... in light of a (possible) upcoming trip*, I think I'm going to pull the trigger on the D7000. It was either going to be it or the D700, and while I may go full-frame eventually, I think the D7000 will be a good starter-Nikon for me.

I did go ahead and get it with the kit 18-150mm lens, and I'm eyeing the 35mm f/1.8G and the 105mm f/2.8 macro lens for my primes, which should give me *almost* everything I need (the kit lens to keep me covered until I can save up a few extra pennies for the 105mm macro lens - I have an older Sigma 105mm macro lens for my Oly & absolutely love it, so I know that's the route I want to go.

* even if I don't end up going on said road-trip, my Oly is in need of replacement. My MacGuyver fix for the card door (velcro) is starting to fail, and I'm having issues with the contacts on the camera body causing my lenses to not register (and I rarely swap out lenses). With the off-camera flash dead, and all the other issues I've had with it, I'd rather just replace than spend the $$$ on repair - particularly on a 5+ year-old camera I can't (really) get accessories for anymore.
    I've been in a lot of "sink or swim" situations, and I've never seen "sinking" as an option.

Of course, now the bad/expensive part: I have to upgrade CS4 ....

Phillydog1958 is offline dPS Forum Member

You've made a good decision. The D7000 is a good unit. Good luck.
    Nikon 1 V3 w/ 10-30 & 30-110mm kits, 18.5mm, 6.7-13mm ultra-wide, Nikon SB-N7 Speedlight
    Nikon D600 w/ Nikon MB D14 Bat Grip, NIKKOR: 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G, Micro 105mm f/2.8G, 70-200mm f/4G, 16-35mm f/4, 24-70mm f/2.8 Nikon TC-20E II Teleconverter, Nikon 50mm f/1.8G, Nikon SB-700 & SB-600 Speed Lights

inkista is offline Gear Geek Girl

Quote Originally Posted by velvet4269 View Post
    Of course, now the bad/expensive part: I have to upgrade CS4 ....
    You can get around/delay the Photoshop tax by using the DNG converter. All the CS versions of Photoshop can always read DNG.

Happy new camera!
    I shoot with a Canon 5DmkII, 50D, and S90, and Pansonic GX-7. flickr stream and equipment list

dakwegmo is offline instigator

Quote Originally Posted by inkista View Post
    You can get around/delay the Photoshop tax by using the DNG converter. All the CS versions of Photoshop can always read DNG.

Happy new camera!
    You could also take this opportunity to learn Lightroom. I had tried it twice before I was forced into an upgrade by a new camera purchase. Once I was more or less forced into using it, it was much easier to adapt my PP mindset to a Lightroom workflow. I'm now much more productive and quite happy I made the switch.
    [ԯ] marcus
    photoblog | Facebook | flickr | 5∞ px | G+

I've tried Lightroom, and hated it. I also use PS for more than just a quick conversion, and have used it for *years*. I do have Elements installed (came with my Wacom Bamboo), but I don't really like it much, either. I guess I'm old-fashioned & stuck in my ways I'm eyeing the DNG converter, so I'll likely go that route for now (read: until I get annoyed with it).

And now my next question is: Nikon 105mm macro lens, or Sigma 105mm macro lens?

DMW5533 is offline Forever Learning

Cool

I would look at the D3200 which is listed as an entry level but has some great features that even the D7000 does not have. the only drawback is you need lenses with a silent wave motor in them. The body does not have a focusing motor. If you have the funds a D7000 seems to be the camera of choice for most hobbyists but almost twice the cost of a D3200
    Nikon D90,D60 Lenses: 18-55VR, 55-200VR, 35mm 1.8G, 50mm 1.8D and 85mm 1.8D,SB600 flash

OsmosisStudios is offline Don't Panic

I've tried Lightroom, and hated it. I also use PS for more than just a quick conversion, and have used it for *years*. I do have Elements installed (came with my Wacom Bamboo), but I don't really like it much, either. I guess I'm old-fashioned & stuck in my ways I'm eyeing the DNG converter, so I'll likely go that route for now (read: until I get annoyed with it).
    You really only use LR to convert from RAW to jpg (applying RAW editing): any pixel-level editing you need, just export from LR as a tiff and open in PS, edit, then save either as TIFF or JPG. You'd use it the same way you did ACR in Photoshop; just a slightly longer middle step to get it from RAW to pixel-level editing.

And now my next question is: Nikon 105mm macro lens, or Sigma 105mm macro lens?
    If you have the money? The Nikon.
    I am responsible for what I say; not what you understand.
    adammontpetit.com
    Gear List
    500PX | Graphic Design

Page 3 of 3 First 123