Close
Close
Page 1 of 4 123 ... Last
  1. #1
    bridgesro is offline I'm new here!
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    13

    Default D5100 keeps saying I have no SD card inserted?

    I just recently bought my first DSLR camera; a Nikon D5100. Let the battery charge while I was at work, and I just got home and started messing around with it.

    I've never used a DSLR before, so maybe I'm doing something wrong, but the camera keeps saying there's no SD card inserted. I have an 8GB SD card in it, and if I pop it out and back in, it'll recognize it. But after I take one or two pictures, it stops and says that I have no SD card again.

    Is this a common problem? Am I doing something wrong, or is my camera messed up?

  2. #2
    OsmosisStudios's Avatar
    OsmosisStudios is offline Don't Panic
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Toronto / Ottawa
    Posts
    12,948

    Default

    Send it to NIkon: the memory card slot unit needs to be replaced. This will be covered under warranty.

    It's a rare but still occasional issue with any camera.
    I am responsible for what I say; not what you understand.
    adammontpetit.com
    Gear List
    500PX | Graphic Design

  3. #3
    bridgesro is offline I'm new here!
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    13

    Default

    Ah, solved it. It was (thankfully) the SD card, not the camera. I switched to my backup 2GB, and it worked fine with no problems. Not sure what's wrong with the 8GB, since it works fine in my S8100, but I ordered a 32GB to replace it and hold more photos.

  4. #4
    Madog is offline Mike
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Seattle, Wa
    Posts
    109

    Default

    Did you try formatting the card in your new camera?
    Also what brands of cards are you using?

  5. #5
    DelCan's Avatar
    DelCan is offline dPS Forum Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Central Indiana, USA
    Posts
    612

    Default

    Did you get it off of ebay? You really gotta be careful on there. I speak from experience....

  6. #6
    OsmosisStudios's Avatar
    OsmosisStudios is offline Don't Panic
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Toronto / Ottawa
    Posts
    12,948

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bridgesro View Post
    Ah, solved it. It was (thankfully) the SD card, not the camera. I switched to my backup 2GB, and it worked fine with no problems. Not sure what's wrong with the 8GB, since it works fine in my S8100, but I ordered a 32GB to replace it and hold more photos.
    I'd assumed you'd done that already. Silly me.

    DON'T get a 32GB card. That's a LOT of eggs in one basket. I vastly prefer 4GB cards.
    I am responsible for what I say; not what you understand.
    adammontpetit.com
    Gear List
    500PX | Graphic Design

  7. #7
    High_Speed's Avatar
    High_Speed is offline dPS Forum Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    228

    Default

    I bought a brand new sandisk 16gb about a year ago, it lasted maybe two weeks and about 400 photos before it died. It wouldn't recognize in the camera, or in a pc even after numerous attempts to format. Tossed it in the trash and moved on with life.
    Canon T2i
    Canon 430 EX II; Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6; Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6;
    Canon EF 50mm 1.8

  8. #8
    bridgesro is offline I'm new here!
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    13

    Default

    Yeah, I had formatted the 8GB card in the camera when I first put it in. It was a Sandisk 8GB SDHC, which Nikon's website said is compatible. I only had the darn thing for about a month too (I had originally bought it for my S8100, which works fine with it, and I bought the card from Wal-Mart). I was planning on getting a bigger SD card later on and using the 8GB as a backup, but I'll probably buy a new card sooner since the 2GB can only take a little over 200 pictures before filling up, and I take far more than that when I go out to shoot, lol.

    I know it may not be the smartest to put all my photos on one card, and I don't intend on doing that. I usually swap the photos over to my computer as soon as I get back from shooting, and then back them up on an external drive. I just want plenty of space for my longer shoots where I tend to take anywhere between 500-1000 pictures

  9. #9
    OsmosisStudios's Avatar
    OsmosisStudios is offline Don't Panic
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Toronto / Ottawa
    Posts
    12,948

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bridgesro View Post

    I know it may not be the smartest to put all my photos on one card, and I don't intend on doing that. I usually swap the photos over to my computer as soon as I get back from shooting, and then back them up on an external drive. I just want plenty of space for my longer shoots where I tend to take anywhere between 500-1000 pictures
    And what happens if the card cuts out half way through a shoot?
    I am responsible for what I say; not what you understand.
    adammontpetit.com
    Gear List
    500PX | Graphic Design

  10. #10
    High_Speed's Avatar
    High_Speed is offline dPS Forum Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    228

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bridgesro View Post
    Yeah, I had formatted the 8GB card in the camera when I first put it in. It was a Sandisk 8GB SDHC, which Nikon's website said is compatible. I only had the darn thing for about a month too (I had originally bought it for my S8100, which works fine with it, and I bought the card from Wal-Mart). I was planning on getting a bigger SD card later on and using the 8GB as a backup, but I'll probably buy a new card sooner since the 2GB can only take a little over 200 pictures before filling up, and I take far more than that when I go out to shoot, lol.

    I know it may not be the smartest to put all my photos on one card, and I don't intend on doing that. I usually swap the photos over to my computer as soon as I get back from shooting, and then back them up on an external drive. I just want plenty of space for my longer shoots where I tend to take anywhere between 500-1000 pictures
    Yeah, I've not had much luck with Sandisk lately. Don't think I'll spend my money on their product anymore in the near future.

    As for card size, I like to have a 16gb on hand for shooting video, but other than that...8gb cards seem to give me plenty of shots on each card.
    Canon T2i
    Canon 430 EX II; Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6; Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6;
    Canon EF 50mm 1.8

Page 1 of 4 123 ... Last

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in