Close
Close
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    EdBickfordCPA is offline I'm new here!

Default Nikon D90 vs D5100

I had been planning on buying the D90 body as an upgrade from the D60 I currently have. Now that the D5100 has been announced I'm not sure hwich way to go. What do you think? I'm not a beginner, but not a pro either, sort of in the middle.

Almond.Butterscotch is offline I love me some Purple.

The D5100 is going to be more of a sideways step from your D60- new imaging sensor and processor and all, but the same ergonomics. No built-in screw motor, top LCD, etc. If those things didn't bother you with the D60 and you really want the swivel screen then the D5100 is the way to go. (It also has a newer sensor/processor than the D90 which had the same internals as the D5000).

OsmosisStudios is offline Don't Panic

Agreed. The "upgrade" would actually be the D7000
    I am responsible for what I say; not what you understand.
    adammontpetit.com
    Gear List
    500PX | Graphic Design

Footski is offline dPS Forum Member

I agree with the others. Go for the D90 or if your budget will stretch that far the D7000
    Nikon D7000 with 50mm f1.8 prime and 18-1055mm VR with 55-200 mm Nikkor Zoom len's

mike84 is offline I'm new here!

I'm agree with you too!. This cam have good quality have a menu with a good number of options but keeping the simplicity and also have good lens.

At least that is the opinions of some friends of mine, you could read it with more details here.

candleman is offline Bad at explaining

a D90 is CERTAINLY an upgrade to a little old D60
    you should get a D90 pretty cheap now that the D7000 is around.

I would NOT consider a D5100
    it doesn't have built in CLS,
    lacks the dual control dials,
    does not support HighSpeedSync, (so you're limited to 1/200th with flash photography)
    does not have a built in focus motor like the D90 does., the menu based system of changing settings is painfully slow.

however, with the D90 you will get pretty crummy video in comparison to the D5100
    but if you're buying a DSLR to use it as a video camera. /facepalm

the D7000 would be a small step up from a D90..
    I wouldn't waste my money on a D7000 when taking into acount the D90's functionality.. (personally)

SURE, the D5100 has newer "internals"... but it isn't always all about the processor.
    the functionality of the D90 superseeds the D5100 by a long way for an actual photographer
    Last edited by candleman; 04-26-2011 at 11:33 PM.
    http://www.flashpointphotography.co.nz/
    D300s | D7000 | D80 | 17-50f/2.8 | 50-150f/2.8 | 24-70f/2.8 | 10-20 f/3.5 | SB910 | SB900 | SB600 | SB28 PhottixStratos

ZinhaEq is offline dPS Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by EdBickfordCPA View Post
    I had been planning on buying the D90 body as an upgrade from the D60 I currently have. Now that the D5100 has been announced I'm not sure hwich way to go. What do you think? I'm not a beginner, but not a pro either, sort of in the middle.
    I would rather ask myself: "Nikon D90 or Nikon D7000?"

metallion58 is offline We Are Stardust

Default Same situation...Solved for me

I was in the same spot, upgrading from a D50, and finally chose the D90 yesterday after talking to my local vendor (Lozeau in Montreal). They talked me into the D90 for compatibilty with the lenses I already own. With the D5100, II would have had to upgrade most of my lenses to AF-S otherwise, no autofocus!
    When a vendor convice you of buying a camera that cost less then the one you originaly wanted, you know it's a good one.
    I will miss the swivel LCD, but that's a small price to pay.
    BTW, I just love the new toy !!!
    Marc B. equipped with:
    Nikon D50 and D90, Nikkor 18-55, Nikkor 70-300, Nikkor 55-200VR, Nikkor 50 1.8, SB700 (2), Vivitar 4000 and a bunch of knick-knacks.
    Still learning...

JFSanders is offline Someone else guy

The D-90 is a more capable body IF you do most of your shooting in RAW and PP in your computer. The D-90 lets you use more lenses. If you shoot video with your dslr then the D-5100 is better. But imho, the D-90 is a photographers camera and the D-5100 is a multimedia tool.

Jim
    Nikon D40, D90, Fuji Finepix S5100, Mamiya RB67,

hellbornknave is offline I'm new here!

I agree.
    The D90 is just plainly a model above the D5100. To me the biggest reason for the change is the in-body AF servo in the D90. That mode itself will save you hundreds in lens choices over the next few years. Stuff like the brilliant 50mm Af will be available for you to pick from, if you buy the D90.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last