Close
Close
    KendraDavis is offline I'm new here!

Question Lens and flash for D3000

Hi! I am new here and to photography I am planning on starting a studio very soon and I was wondering what would be the best lens and flash to have on hand for my D3000. Right now I just have a 18-55mm that I bought when my friend gave me the body. I don't know much about my camera since she didn't give me the manual but I play with it a lot and have been practicing constantly since I got it! Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you

OsmosisStudios is offline Don't Panic

Which lens and flash you need is based heavily on what you wanna do with your gear.
    I am responsible for what I say; not what you understand.
    adammontpetit.com
    Gear List
    500PX | Graphic Design

I will be doing portraits. Mainly people but I have already been asked to photograph pets as well! I was also hired to do real estate photography for MLS listings so I bought a wide angle lens for that.
    Slowly but surely I am learning! All advice welcome

http://flickr.com/gp/58866276@N04/uR7K40

Thats quite the list.

Portraits and pet portraits:
    Likely looking at some off-camera flash equipment and modifiers. Take a look at The Strobist for information on that.

Real estate:
    Generally you're looking at a very wide lens (wider than 18mm) and usually tilt-shift capabilities as well as some rather in-depth lighting as well. At least, you'd want some HDR processing software.

How serious are you about getting into something specifically?
    adammontpetit.com
    Gear List
    500PX | Graphic Design

Quote Originally Posted by OsmosisStudios View Post
    Thats quite the list.

Portraits and pet portraits:
    Likely looking at some off-camera flash equipment and modifiers. Take a look at The Strobist for information on that.

Real estate:
    Generally you're looking at a very wide lens (wider than 18mm) and usually tilt-shift capabilities as well as some rather in-depth lighting as well. At least, you'd want some HDR processing software.

How serious are you about getting into something specifically?

I have strobes ordered currently but thank you for the link to the strobist.com! I think that will be very helpful. I mainly want to focus on boutique style child photography. I just have a lot of support from family and friends and they seem to keep offering subjects (including animals and houses) lol

If you've already ordered stuff, why did you ask for help?
    adammontpetit.com
    Gear List
    500PX | Graphic Design

Quote Originally Posted by OsmosisStudios View Post
    If you've already ordered stuff, why did you ask for help?
    I'm asking about an additional flash on top of my camera. Also a better lens. I have yet to order either of these.

TheEagleSpirit is offline dPS Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by KendraDavis View Post
    I'm asking about an additional flash on top of my camera. Also a better lens. I have yet to order either of these.
    I have a nikon D90 and D7000 I use. My lense collection are Tamron F2.8 17-50mm VR I use for architecture, portraits and landscapes, a fast lens that can be used in low light situations also. A Tamron F2.0 60 mm with macro for portraits and close ups. The most expensive is the F2.8 70-200 mm VR nikkor lens, a fantastic lens for low light concerts and most other uses. I am happy with this collection but thinking about the Nikon 700 or 900 flash for the cameras. As far as a guide to your camera it would be nice to check with Books A Million for a "mastering guide for your camera" also a "field guide. I have both for the D90 and they are much better than the guide that came with the camera. Also bought a text book on Crime Scene Photography listed in my signature that has 3 chapters on camera and flash settings that can be used for any situation there is.