Close
Close
    kt1822 is offline I'm new here!

Default new body or lens?

i have a d80 and 18-135 dx lens.

i need recommendations on whether to upgrade to a d300 or just get new lenses. If the recommendations are to get new lenses what should I get? I've been told the 24-70 is a work horse and BIG recommendation.

I mainly photograph portraits in my home diy studio/loungeroom and outdoors so I need good low light equipment.

any & all suggestions welcome.

Cheers

OsmosisStudios is offline Don't Panic

Better lighting.
    I am responsible for what I say; not what you understand.
    adammontpetit.com
    Gear List
    500PX | Graphic Design

ritewinger is offline I'm new here!

You need a total upgrade. Don't overlook the D300s, see this.......
    Nikon D300s ISO Test and Sample Images Photography Bay | Digital Camera Reviews, News and Resources
    Don't let schooling interfere with your education...
    Mark Twain

jml79 is offline Confused and Dazed - ?

Quote Originally Posted by ritewinger View Post
    You need a total upgrade. Don't overlook the D300s, see this.......
    Nikon D300s ISO Test and Sample Images Photography Bay | Digital Camera Reviews, News and Resources
    Seriously, no you don't... The D300s is one generation newer than your D80 (12.1mp vs 10.1mp) I would consider a D7000 instead. It's 2 generations newer and gives you a higher res with even better ISO response than the D300s. There are a few other considerations but for the most part the D7000 is equivelent or better (IMHO).

A 24-70 or 28-75 f/2.8 lens will outlast your next several bodies. Camera's follow a version of moores law. A new generation should come out every 18 months or so. If you buy a new body now, you are still going to want the new lens and likely buy it in the future but it will still be the same lens and still cost as much. If you can buy the lens now and hold off on the body you may end up buying the next generation or the current generation at a lower price in the future.

In short, unless you have a need or very compelling reason I would buy the lens first. I think it's the smarter money because lenses don't drop in price and evolve much slower than bodies and your D80 still has lots of life left. A new lens will also improve the image quality of any future body compared with a kit lens.
    Sony A100, Sony 18-70, Minolta 28-105xi, Sigma 70-210 APO. Kata 3N1-20
    Canon Powershot SX20is
    Lots more to buy, no money to spend.

Almond.Butterscotch is offline I love me some Purple.

oy vey- you're all just yelling out what you'd do if you were in the OP's predicament. No one's even asking him (her?) why xe wants/needs an upgrade.

@kt1822 what's lacking in your current gear? What do you want? What do you shoot? The answers to these questions will change real recommendations.