Close
Close
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: Flash

Steve Pedersen is offline Trucking Photog Monkey

Default Flash

I have reached the conclusion that I need a flash unit to aid me in taking macro shot's.
    The question is do I / should I get a fancy full featured flash like YN-565EX or should I just go cheap like a 30$ no name Chinese import flash or somewhere in between.
    The YN-565EX is certainly affordable and would allow me to grow into doing more with flash but right now I am totally hooked on doing macro so it's not like I need all that fancy stuff and it's BIG and probably heavy to hand hold over time.

I would really appreciate some advice.
    thank you.

OsmosisStudios is online now Don't Panic

The YN flashes are the cheap chinese imports.

What are you shooting? What kind of gear are you using?
    I am responsible for what I say; not what you understand.
    adammontpetit.com
    Gear List
    500PX | Graphic Design

I am using manual focus lenses with extension tubes shooting bugs.
    I do have an actual 1:1 macro lens on it's way to me but it has not arrived yet.

brianxlt is offline Shoots from the hip.

Never buy cheap equipment inexpensive yes, but never cheap. You don't have to buy top of the line, but somewhere in the middle works. I buy all canon gear (camera, lens & flash) made for my 7D as for other type stuff non name brands work just as well as canon and cost is usually less.
    I shoot for me - I shoot for fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pedersen View Post
    I am using manual focus lenses with extension tubes shooting bugs.
    I do have an actual 1:1 macro lens on it's way to me but it has not arrived yet.
    What brand/model camera?
    adammontpetit.com
    Gear List
    500PX | Graphic Design

inkista is offline Gear Geek Girl

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pedersen View Post
    I have reached the conclusion that I need a flash unit to aid me in taking macro shot's.
    The question is do I / should I get a fancy full featured flash like YN-565EX or should I just go cheap like a 30$ no name Chinese import flash or somewhere in between.
    As has been stated, the YN-565EX is the cheap no-name Chinese import flash. And while it has a lot of features, it's not in the same league as a 580EX II. There are reasons to want it, the price being the main one, but you need to know that you will be taking a risk with copy consistency, build quality, and future compatibility with one. The Nissin Di-622 at least has upgradeable firmware....

The YN-565EX is certainly affordable and would allow me to grow into doing more with flash but right now I am totally hooked on doing macro so it's not like I need all that fancy stuff and it's BIG and probably heavy to hand hold over time.
    True. And if it's all you can afford, then I say go for it. Just be prepared for the possibility of having to ship it back to Hong Kong if you're buying it direct from Yongnuo on eBay. If you're in the US (see, there are reasons to actually fill in the location info on your profile) I'd actually recommend going through Amazon or a dealer in the US, to mitigate the return/warranty issues if you end up with a dud unit.

I have a YN-560 and I love it to pieces and use it all the time, but it's a much simpler and cheaper piece of kit, without all the eTTL/wireless slave bells and whistles.
    I shoot with a Canon 5DmkII, 50D, and S90, and Pansonic GX-7. flickr stream and equipment list

Quote Originally Posted by OsmosisStudios View Post
    What brand/model camera?

Canon T3I

Inkista, Location now updated :-)

If you have a T3i, get any Canon EXII flash: its super useful on camera and can be triggered automatically off-camera.
    adammontpetit.com
    Gear List
    500PX | Graphic Design

inkista is offline Gear Geek Girl

Quote Originally Posted by OsmosisStudios View Post
    If you have a T3i, get any Canon EXII flash: its super useful on camera and can be triggered automatically off-camera.
    Errr... actually, so can the YN-565EX. Its claim to fame is that it can be used as a TTL slave in either wireless eTTL or CLS setups. It should work with the T3i's pop-up flash mastering it. It works as a wireless slave, much like the 430EX II will; it is controllable through the camera menu, and it has eTTL functionality. It cannot master (neither can the 430EX II). Biggest shortcoming is it can't do high-speed sync. But it's pretty much on a par with the rest of it: does all three groups, all four channels, has rear curtain, FEC, FEB, rear-curtain sync, FE lock, and modeling light.

Biggest reasons to get a 430EX II is if you desperately need high-speed sync, and are paranoid about future compatibility, build quality, and copy consistency.

But unlike the 430EX II, the YN-565EX also has a PC sync port, and the S1 and S2 "dumb" optical slave modes, for manual off-camera use. I love having S1 and S2 on my YN-560 so I can go off-camera flashing with my little Powershot S90. It's pretty damn capable. If you get one that works.
    Last edited by inkista; 03-08-2012 at 01:15 AM.
    I shoot with a Canon 5DmkII, 50D, and S90, and Pansonic GX-7. flickr stream and equipment list

If I had the kind of $$ for "Canon" Flash units I would not be piddling around with extension tubes and manual focus lenses, I would have two MPE65's one i use on the camera and one I keep in plastic that i would do unnatural act's with (just joking I think) . The 565ex is what I am going to go with, amazon has them for about 150.00 right now and i might just add the extended warranty too.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last