Close
Close
Page 1 of 3 123 Last
    Weird Girl is offline Loves Cheese!

Default NEW 85mm 1.8 lens!!

Wasn't sure where else to put this- it's not technically a macro...

I finally got this lens after wanting it for several months now and I am so excited! I went out in my front yard to take some photos of the flowers that bloomed the other day but they were not looking so healthy... so I chose this dandelion as my subject instead.

I would like to know what you think about the composition. The sooc shot had a large group of the yellow buds but I think it took away from the dandelion. I decided to keep the 3 around it because they form a triangle and frame the dandelion.

How is the bokeh and dof? I'm personally in love with it but would like to know how others feel. Any other comments are welcome!!

Nikon D300s
    85mm 1.8 lens
    ISO 200
    f 1.8
    1/500
    WB set on sunny
    Edited in Lightroom 3
    Attached Images Attached Images

Roshenk is offline "f/2.8 and be there"

Quote Originally Posted by Weird Girl View Post
    Wasn't sure where else to put this- it's not technically a macro...

I finally got this lens after wanting it for several months now and I am so excited! I went out in my front yard to take some photos of the flowers that bloomed the other day but they were not looking so healthy... so I chose this dandelion as my subject instead.

I would like to know what you think about the composition. The sooc shot had a large group of the yellow buds but I think it took away from the dandelion. I decided to keep the 3 around it because they form a triangle and frame the dandelion.

How is the bokeh and dof? I'm personally in love with it but would like to know how others feel. Any other comments are welcome!!

Nikon D300s
    85mm 1.8 lens
    ISO 200
    f 1.8
    1/500
    WB set on sunny
    Edited in Lightroom 3
    The bokeh is indeed beautiful and the dof is spot on. I agree with your choice to keep the extra blooms....in fact I may have just kept the bud beneath the dandy lion and toghtened the crop but that is just a matter of taste. You really made great use of the green background to counterpoint the flowers.

A lovely, razor sharp shot...very well done.
    I shoot Canon and carry Think Tank.
    Canon 6D... EF 135mm f/2L, EF 100mm f/2.8L MACRO, MP-E 65mm MACRO, EF 85mm f/1.8, Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Sigmalux, Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG, Sigma 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye, EF 200mm F/2.8L,
    Lensbaby Composer Pro 50mm/Edge 80/Fisheye, Samyang 85mm & 35mm f/1.4 MF

ZENFOLIO!....500Px

awesome! I am so excited thank you, I will see what that crop looks like when I get home!

Ok, since no one else commented, I tried another version that I think is much better Let me know what you think please. Same settings.
    Attached Images Attached Images

ccting is offline Banned
    Taking Photo is to elicate, aim, method, measure, result, trace & improv

I think the f/1.8 lens is still a gap from f/1.4 otherwise why the lens is so cheap compared to f/1.4?? I am waiting for 85mm f/1.4 G VR III. f/1.4 - f/1.8 differs 2/3 stops,, i think it is quite significant..I think this lens is not suitable for macro.. Even the kit lens 18-55mm is better IMO.. The reasoning is, the longer focal length the more f-number you need to capture the all detail. That's why i guess ppl are moving from 90mm macro lens to 60mm macro lens.

Sry i just guessing..waiting for experts to advise..

ANyway, thanks for sharing weird girl..i nearly bought this lens..
    Last edited by ccting; 03-31-2012 at 07:02 AM.

Roshenk is offline "f/2.8 and be there"

I respectfully submit that ccting doesn't know what he is talking about.

At least in terms of canon lens the f/1.8 is extremely sharp. People who prefer the 1.4, afaik, are looking for extra speed for low light shooting, not extra sharpness.

Secondly my 85 f/1.8 works just fine for macro shooting, and f-stop has nothing to do with macro ability anyway.

Lastly, longer focal length primes work just fine for macro and the top of the line canon macro lens is 100mm.

CC, please refrain from commenting when you are clueless.

As for the new crop of this shot....I definitely like it better then the first. Don't be afraid to crop in tight with this lens...the resolution is up to the challenge.
    I shoot Canon and carry Think Tank.
    Canon 6D... EF 135mm f/2L, EF 100mm f/2.8L MACRO, MP-E 65mm MACRO, EF 85mm f/1.8, Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Sigmalux, Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG, Sigma 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye, EF 200mm F/2.8L,
    Lensbaby Composer Pro 50mm/Edge 80/Fisheye, Samyang 85mm & 35mm f/1.4 MF

ZENFOLIO!....500Px

tyasa81 is offline dPS Forum Member

guys... just to clarify... nikon 85/1.8 and 85/1.4 has 2 different uses completely... if you are talking sharpness, especially the d version, 1.8d is actually much sharper than 1.4d at all apertures and at the corners... 1.4d however is a portrait lens... not a micro lens... it's very kind to skin, render skin tones nicely, and the bokeh is significantly better compared to 1.8 especially when it's stopped down...

ccting... i know you like to comment on other ppl pics... and maybe that's your way to learn... but seriously, you are confusing other ppl!! you even said you are guessing in your post...

and one last thing... macro shots are shot with f/16 to f/32... know why? even when stopped down that low, when you are 1:1, you only get about a couple of mm that's in focus... no one shoots 1.8 or 1.4 when they are doing real macro work... the dof is so small unless you are into abstract stuff...

90mm macro lens is to give you space in between your object and the camera lens... so you aren't blocking the light and especially so shy animals wont run away from you... some even prefer the 150mm... 60mm macro is usually for product detail shots... of coz there are other uses... you can use 60 to shoot bugs, and 150 to shoot product, but that's usually what ppl consider when choosing focal length of macro... all true macro goes to 1:1 and all requires you to stop down if you want even a mm of usable dof...

tyasa81 is offline dPS Forum Member

weird girl...

the 2nd composition is better, but the flower is dirtier... you got your sharpness of the flower just fine... but i'm thinking, did you sharpen the picture at post? something looks weird about the IQ of the picture... and it seems that you crop quite a bit to get to that composition... i'm seeing noise at base iso 200 which is very unusual...

enjoy your lens... shoot a couple of people portraits... i'm sure you'll love it even more..

Thank you very much for the macro details. I will be honest and tell you that I have not read up on macro shooting much. I have mainly focused on portraits because that's what people tend to pay for, but I personally enjoy landscapes and these close up shots.

You are correct that this was a decent crop. Originally, I thought I wanted more of the yellow buds in the photo but when I looked at it on my computer, the dandelion was more interesting to me. I'm not sure why it looks dirtier but I will play with it again. I ended up thinking the first edit looked a little dull so I think I bumped up the contrast- maybe I went too far.

ccting- thank you for taking the time to look at my photo. I think where you and I (and others it seems) have a disconnect, is when you try to interpret something you have read (i assume) but may not understand it as well as you think? I'm not sure but while I appreciate that photography has mathematical equations and such, I just can't seem to connect with it in that matter. You seem like an intelligent person and I would encourage you to try and think outside of the box every so often. Just because a text book says one thing, does not always mean it will be true in every situation.

I appreciate everyones feedback and I really do love this lens so far. I have taken some photos of my friend (which can be seen in the share your shots section) and fell in love haha.

I will post my new edit soon. Thanks again!

Oh, and I actually am into abstract- maybe I will start reading about that next. So are you saying that a normal macro should be fully in focus and have the subject fill the entire frame? I just wonder because I love small dof and nice bokeh- so maybe macro is not for me? Thanks

Page 1 of 3 123 Last