Close
Close
    Jill H is offline Stepping into the light

Default do you have any tips for using a light box?

I was given a light box for Christmas - and have been experimenting with it over the last couple of months - and I would like to hear any tips you have for using it.

It was two side lights through the defuser material. And I have been thinking it perhaps needs an overhead light, and somethimes I think I need two front lights - one from either side at the front, as I have difficulty getting light onto the front of the objects. What sort of lights should I have, and should I have a defuser on the front lights?

I started photographing flowers, but have also experimented with food and other objects.

Are there any tutorials on DPS or any links which you know of to good sites about light box photography?

I look forward to hearing from anyone who has experience with lightboxes and can help. Particularly I would like to know what sort of lighting you use? Thanks!
    Last edited by Jill H; 04-21-2010 at 06:33 AM.
    Stepping into the light - www.lifeimagesbyjill.blogspot.com/ - and - http://picasaweb.google.com/lifeimagesbyjill

Canon G11, Power Shot Pro1 (L series 28-300), Canon EOS 450D (Rebel XSi) (18-55 & 55-250), Canon EOS 330X (film) (28-90 & 90-300)

Now I have been using my lightbox for a couple of months I am rehashing the above thread which I have re-written. I had no replies for the first thread - and hope there might be someone out there with some tips. Thanks!
    Stepping into the light - www.lifeimagesbyjill.blogspot.com/ - and - http://picasaweb.google.com/lifeimagesbyjill

Canon G11, Power Shot Pro1 (L series 28-300), Canon EOS 450D (Rebel XSi) (18-55 & 55-250), Canon EOS 330X (film) (28-90 & 90-300)

kencaleno is offline dPS +1000 Club

Best advice-forget the light tent, (A "light box" is for viewing slides) It will give you more lighting/shadow problems than you need,limiting your options-you just need a sheet of white card and window light, that's how these were made:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by kencaleno View Post
    Best advice-forget the light tent, (A "light box" is for viewing slides) It will give you more lighting/shadow problems than you need,limiting your options-you just need a sheet of white card and window light, that's how these were made:
    thanks for the advice - I am certainly exploring options - and have been having a look at this site tonight - Strobist: Food Photography Made Easy: The Lunch Box

Murtasma is offline Critique Moderator

Do you have a sample image and a picture of your setup?

Quote Originally Posted by Murtasma View Post
    Do you have a sample image and a picture of your setup?
    Yes! Thanks for asking- here are a couple of samples which I took on Monday. You can see more in my "Lightbox" on Picasa.

This first one with the white background I fiddled with in Photoshop to get it whiter.

From Light Box

This one is with a black back ground and sitting on a mirror.

From Light Box

Not the greatest pic of the setup, but all I have right now. There are two side lights coming in through the defuser - and I also have been using a standard lamp light to put light onto the front - however I have been reading tonight and perhaps I can use a reflector at each sides of the front. I also thought about having a light coming down from the top - at the moment just the overhead light in my kitchen.

From Life Images by Jill
    Last edited by Jill H; 04-21-2010 at 02:33 PM.

You can try creating another diffusion panel in the front. When I purchased a light tent it had a white transparent fabric that could be attached to the front. The fabric had some Velcro and a slit in the center for you to stick your lens into. This could surround the object with white material which can be helpful for adding more fill in the front of the object your shooting. It will also stop unwanted reflections from the surrounding environment showing up on the object (more likely to happen with reflective objects like metal and mirrors.)

I would also try adding another light on top. Your box should have diffusion material on the top, left, right and front. The bottom and back can have something stronger like cardboard to help strengthen the light tent. There is no need to diffuse the light before it reaches the panels on your light box. Be sure not to place the lights too close to the panel or you will get hot spots.

Here is one I made out of a cardboard box using 3 lights.

My light box tent

and one of something inside
    Bling Bling Dollar Bill Yo HDR
    Last edited by Murtasma; 04-21-2010 at 03:10 PM.

Excellent thankyou for the info. I hadn't thought about having material at the front also = that would certainly help getting light onto the front of the object. So for lighting you have just used standard lamps?

Thankyou so much for helping me out with this. I really appreciate it.

I bought some 100 watt daylight bulbs. Just be sure whatever light bulb you use in your lamps, they are all the same. Even tungsten bulbs can have slight color temperature differences between then which can create odd color casts you can do little about if you aren't using the same type of bulb from the same manufacturer.

ok - thanks for that - all very good tips - I appreciate hearing from you. I'm off to buy some light bulbs. Thanks!