Close
Close
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    Dave R is offline I'm new here!

Default Wireless Syncing - Nikon D90 and SB-600 Speedlight

I have a D90 and SB-600 Speedlight.

I want to make the camera the commander, and the SB-600 the slave.

I know how to get to the commander setting in the D90 (Custom Setting Menu > e2) and I have heard that I would probably want to start out in TTL mode. I know how to set the D90 to, say, channel 3.

Here is the problem: I do not know what buttons to press on the SB-600 to make it wirelessly sync with the commander mode set in the D90.

Please help me in terms of setting up the SB-600 to sync with channel 3 on the D90.

I have read another recent post on this subject on this forum and it did not help. I do not need a book reading list and am not interested in lighting theory at this time.

I just want to know what buttons to press on the SB-600 to make it sync with the D90. The manual is of no help.

I worked out the answer, thus I'm canceling the question. Thanks anyway!

Chip is online now Expat

I have the same setup. Was your SB 600 manual written years ago, when the D70 came out? And is that manual hard as hell to understand?

Glad you figured it out.
    Chip
    My flickr and My Gear
    Feel Free to Edit and Re-Post My Pics On DPS Only

Not sure about the manual date but you may be right about its age.

The manual is beyond understanding, and makes the best case yet for avoiding Nikon and going with Canon for your photographic needs.

For those not wishing to spend a weekend unsuccessfully searching for clues as to how you wirelessly sync the D90 to the SB-600 Speedlight, here is the answer (it assumes you know that the D90 Commander function is in the Custom Setting Menu > e2):

1) On the SB-600, press the Zoom and "-" buttons simultaneously for approx. 2 seconds to display the Custom Settings mode.
    2) You will see OFF displayed.
    3) Press the Mode button to change that to ON.
    4) You have now activated remote mode.
    5) To set the group and channel, press the Zoom and "-" buttons simultaneously for approx. 2 seconds.
    6) Press the Mode button to display the blinking channel number. Press the + or - button to set the channel number, then press the Mode button to lock the selection and move to the Group display.
    7) The blinking group now displays. Press the + or - button to set the group, then press the Mode button to lock the selection.
    8) To turn off wireless sync, press the Zoom and "-" buttons simultaneously for approx. 2 seconds. The screen will display ON. Press the Mode button and the screen will display OFF.

Simple, wasn't it?

bojo is offline I'm new here!

I know this is an old thread... but awesome Dave! This was great. I'm one of "those not wishing to spend a weekend unsuccessfully searching for clues as to how you wirelessly sync the D90 to the SB-600 Speedlight".

Your post was what I needed just after unboxing my SB-600 now. talk about excited. Thanks!
    Joel

aroberds is offline I'm new here!

Smile thank you!!!

Such a help! Thank you!!!! Just got my D90 to replace my D50 that couldn't work wireless with my SB-600. Saved me a lot frustration!!!

jjchisholm is offline I'm new here!

Thanks for the help. One question is there away to turn the built in flash off in the d90 while still firing the external flash?

Program mode is similar to Auto but no flash. Or try S or A modes. But must confess, I'm guessing as I have not tried this. Experiment.

zona5101 is online now Molon Labe

Quote Originally Posted by jjchisholm View Post
    Thanks for the help. One question is there away to turn the built in flash off in the d90 while still firing the external flash?
    no, the built in flash is triggering the remote flash

cc3078 is offline Step aside Butch.

The built-in (BI) flash does need to 'flash' in order to trigger the remote SB-800. If you have the BI flash set to '--' in your commander settings in your custom setup menu on your camera then in theory the 'flash' from the BI flash should NOT impact the image - it's more of a pre-flash and is supposed be a trigger only.

I would suggest you locate this Nikon accessory below to block the BI flash - yet it will still trigger the SB-800. It's less than $15.

Nikon SG-31R IR Panel for Built-in Flash Repl - Nikon 4905

--
    Jeff

Page 1 of 2 12 Last