Close
Close
    sydneyns is offline dPS Forum Member

Default Pocketwizard help needed

I decided to buy some lighting gear.

I bought 1 MinniTT1 2 FlexTT5 AC3 Controller.

I have a Nikon D5000 and I guess when I asked the salesmen I should have known better. Will I be able to use all options that these provide with the Nikon D5000..

Well I can test the flash but everytime I try with my camera nothing. I also noticed I can't use the high speed sync option with my camera..... Guess I don't have to wrry about High Speed when they won't even fire.

Anyone have a clue to why that talk to each other when the test button is pressed but not when I use the camera.

Thanks

Oh ya thatnks Mr. salesmen.......

Chrisclick is online now Always Learning

Hi Syndeyns,

I do not have experience with Nikon (I shoot Canon), but I have experienced the same problem that you have with flash not firing from camera.

In my case, it turned out that you cannot fire an external flash while in 'Live View'.

It was simply a matter of turning off Live View and framing the shot through the viewfinder, the flash worked every time since.

I'm not sure if it is the same for Nikon, but I thought it worth mentioning as the two brands have a lot of similarities.

Someone else may be able to offer more info.

Good luck.
    flickr Gear: Canon EOS 600D, Canon 50mm f/1.8, Canon 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II, Canon 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS, Tamron 70-300mm f/4-5.6 DI VC USD, Tamron 70-200mm f/2.8 DI VC USD, Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM

sydneyns is offline dPS Forum Member

Default Got them to fire

I reset them to factory but I wish there was a really good video to show you how to set them so you get the most out of them.

I wish I knew before I bought them about the High Sync part and that I couldn't do that part.....

Thanks for the reply.

Also I never use Live View.

inkista is offline Gear Geek Girl

Quote Originally Posted by sydneyns View Post
    .... I also noticed I can't use the high speed sync option with my camera..... Guess I don't have to wrry about High Speed when they won't even fire.
    My take on this is that the TTL PocketWizard units are generally overkill for a hobbyist, and the MAIN two reasons to go with TTL radio triggers of any kind are 1) remote commanding of the light power levels from the camera back, and 2) high-speed sync.

The fact that your D5000 doesn't do FP/high-speed sync is what's gumming up the works, but if you eventually upgrade your body to something higher-tiered, you'll get FP mode, and then the triggers might be worth it.

But there is also a reason a lot of us start out with cheap $30/set manual-only radio triggers to see if we like playing with off-camera flash, and only get the TTL triggers when we realize we actually need them. A lot of folks never do.

Anyone have a clue to why that talk to each other when the test button is pressed but not when I use the camera...
    Nope. But I would check how the transmitter units are seated on the hotshoe(s), and that the contacts are clean (since the Zone Controller has to be stacked on top of the Mini, that's an extra connection), and also that you've got the right channels/groups set, and that Zone Controller is set to use the groups the flashes are using.

And while this probably isn't the issue if a test button can fire the remote flash, using CLS on the flash disables the flash's hotshoe and use the optical sensor panel instead to sync the flash.

Quote Originally Posted by sydneyns View Post
    I reset them to factory but I wish there was a really good video to show you how to set them so you get the most out of them.
    What about this one?
    PocketWizard AC3 ZoneController for Nikon on Vimeo
    I shoot with a Canon 5DmkII, 50D, and S90, and Pansonic GX-7. flickr stream and equipment list

jpowers is offline Bacon Lover

Quote Originally Posted by Chrisclick View Post
    In my case, it turned out that you cannot fire an external flash while in 'Live View'.
    Side note, since this is specific to Canon. TTL flashes should fire in Live View. Non-TTL flashes won't. However, apparently a feature in newer releases of Magic Lantern fixes this, so that third-party non-TTL flashes fire in Live View.

Jesse101 is offline dPS Forum Member

They will fire in live view, however, have you tried doing a firmware update to your pocket wizards? I had to do updates when I got mine, as it didn't have the supported firmware for my SB700 at the time or my other speed lights like the SB910 model and so on..

Once updated everything worked fine.

Just remember to turn everything on from the highest point on..for instance from your flash, pocket wizard, then your onboard pocket wizard then your camera body should be last. Test fire to set your distances and shoot away. Simple enough.

PixelGun is offline Focal Engineer

Good info to know, I was looking into the pocket wizards and the pros and cons.

dubaiphotography is offline I'm new here!

I am planning to purchase LEDko P W 5,600K.
    give me some suggestion..

Jesse101 is offline dPS Forum Member

hook up the pocket wizard to your computer before use. Make sure you UPDATE your firmware. 80% of the time they dont have the most up to date firmware installed..all depends how long it was in storage.

Even when i purchased a new speedlight, the SB910 has not been updated with, i had to hook up to my laptop and check/install updates, all worked 100% once done. Look up some tutorials via youtube and its very easy to use!

Nikon CLS can also be just as effective...indoors, outdoors its a different story.