Close
Close
    A1_VISION is offline I'm new here!

Default Need Help with lighting

Hey everyone I really need help on using these new mono lights i have brought. There are the Impact 2 mono light kits 100 watts each light, Today was my first time in the studio and i was excited to try these out. But i was a little confused since this is my first time using it and also i am new to studio lighting. When i take a photo there is no light added to it, and i have my pop up flash up since it triggers both of them. But i'm not sure if its on full power or not, It still looks dark on the photos, How can i get a better understanding on these lights and also want to get more experience on studio lighting. I am asking the experts for help so please no negativity all positive (: .

Thanks
    Bryan Nunez

RichardTaylor is online now dPS +1000 Club

What exposure/camera settings are you using?

cdmicha is online now i shoot people

If they are triggered by flash, and your camera is shooting on auto flash, it might be firing with the preflash instead of the exposure flash.

As well as the exposure/camera settings Richard mentions, can you verify that they are popping with your flash? Also, what camera are you using?
    Chris
    6D/70D/EM5

rspears is offline The Wedding Guy

I'm not sure I'd use your pop-up flash to trigger the studio lights. When I've tried that, you get unpredictable results because your camera will pre-fire the pop-up to measure exposure, and it will throw your exposure off. If you have a speedlight you can put on your camera, set it to manual (not TTL) and aim the light backwards so it just triggers your studio lights, you should get a better result. If you are going to be using studio lights in the future, it's a good idea to make the investment for some wireless triggers. I use Cybersync by Paul C. Buff, and I have a Yongnuo set of triggers as my backup. I got the Yongnuo triggers (set of 3) for about $30 and they work surprisingly well.
    Rich Spears www.rspearsphotography.com
    Blog | Flickr | Zenfolio
    Nikon D3s, D700, Nikon 24-70mm f/2.8, 70-200mm f/2.8, 50mm f/1.8, 85mm 1.8

A1_VISION is offline I'm new here!

Thanks for the reply everyone i am using a Nikon D7000 i was playing around with it more and after using it on commander mode i was able to have both my monolights triggerd with just my pop up flash. But i had my Pop up flash set on Manual on 1/126. But i yet haven't Tried using my sb 800 on my camera yet instead of the pop up. But i think the sb 800 would be a better way to go since i can just bounce it off the wall or something right? I am tryng to use my lighting setup for tomorrow shoot and I dont have any triggers. I want to know a good setup using my 2 100 watts mono lights and my sb 80. Any advice on that?

DMW5533 is offline Forever Learning

Cool

you might be usimg apples woth oranges. the monllights are a different anamalthan your sb800 and you are probably fooling your exposure. do the best you ccan for ypur shot tomorrow and then watch the b&h youtube video intermediate lighting with Joey Quentaro of impact lighting. that should help you to understand strobes and the need for triggers and a light metet

hope this helps
    Nikon D90,D60 Lenses: 18-55VR, 55-200VR, 35mm 1.8G, 50mm 1.8D and 85mm 1.8D,SB600 flash

cdmicha is online now i shoot people

Quote Originally Posted by A1_VISION View Post
    Thanks for the reply everyone i am using a Nikon D7000 i was playing around with it more and after using it on commander mode i was able to have both my monolights triggerd with just my pop up flash. But i had my Pop up flash set on Manual on 1/126. But i yet haven't Tried using my sb 800 on my camera yet instead of the pop up. But i think the sb 800 would be a better way to go since i can just bounce it off the wall or something right? I am tryng to use my lighting setup for tomorrow shoot and I dont have any triggers. I want to know a good setup using my 2 100 watts mono lights and my sb 80. Any advice on that?

Well, step one is making sure they are popping when your flash is firing. Easy enough to do, just stand in front of them and take a picture. This really is the key, because if they are in fact popping when your flash goes off, then you should be able to get them to work.

Assuming they are firing, step two is to check out what power setting you have. Turn them up to half or full power if needed (I'm going to guess that 100Ws strobes aren't that powerful). Now you need to figure out what camera settings will work with the amount of light the strobes produce. Start with something like F5.6, ISO 400 (it will give the lights a little more "power"), and 1/125. Hopefully like this you'll get some light with them (and hopefully if you're shooting at half or full power it is overexposing the image). Then it would just be a matter of reducing the flash power (or lowering ISO or closing down the aperture) to get the lights where you want them.

Good luck
    Chris
    6D/70D/EM5