Close
Close
    kuul13 is offline "KlickzBySri"

Default How to setup YN565EX wireless with Nikon D80

I received my second flash - YN565EX today and was trying to fire it wirelessly. I tried to understand the steps in the user manual that came with YN565 but was not able to make it work.

I have Nikon D80 and really want to learn the steps to setup YN565 wirelessly. I have another flash - Sigma EF-530DG Super and it was pretty easy to setup wireless flash.

I tried the following:
    1. switched on the flash
    2. pressed "Zoom" for 2 seconds when I saw "OFF" blink.
    3. Used Fn or LEFT/RIGHT arrow to select SL (SLAVE) mode.
    4. Pressed OK button to select the option.
    5. Also tried to change the channel and slave group (a,b,c).
    6. Switched on my camera D80.
    7. Open the popup flash (trigger to speedlights).
    8. Took picture

Nothing happened.

I would appreciate if some one can send a step by step instruction to setup my 565 or point me to some tutorial/video or blog that would help me.

Once I get it working, I need to know how to trigger two flashes from Nikon's D80?
    <3 Sri
    Love Nikon D80, 18-135mm & 70-300mm
    Sriz Klickz - A Photography Cafe <- Appreciate if you give me a LIKE on Facebook.
    KlickzBySri @ Flickr
    You cherish a place only when you are there, but photographs are cherished life long.

tyasa81 is offline dPS Forum Member

hey sri... are you in commander mode in your camera? just wondering you seem to leave that part out... i'll let ppl who actually have the yn565 comment on the settings from the flash side... i only have 560 and there's no cls with that model...

Quote Originally Posted by tyasa81 View Post
    hey sri... are you in commander mode in your camera? just wondering you seem to leave that part out... i'll let ppl who actually have the yn565 comment on the settings from the flash side... i only have 560 and there's no cls with that model...
    Yes, I am in commander mode. Thanks for the response though! I will wait too.
    <3 Sri
    Sriz Klickz - A Photography Cafe <- Appreciate if you give me a LIKE on Facebook.
    KlickzBySri @ Flickr
    You cherish a place only when you are there, but photographs are cherished life long.

inkista is offline Gear Geek Girl

I'm stumped. Sounds like you're doing everything correctly, given the speedlights.net description of how to use slave mode. Maybe it's a line-of-sight issue? And (just double-checking) you've got your master set up to use the same channel that you set on the slave, right?
    Last edited by inkista; 03-29-2012 at 07:27 PM.
    I shoot with a Canon 5DmkII, 50D, and S90, and Pansonic GX-7. flickr stream and equipment list

Quote Originally Posted by inkista View Post
    I'm stumped. Sounds like you're doing everything correctly, given the speedlights.net description of how to use slave mode. Maybe it's a line-of-sight issue? And (just double-checking) you've got your master set up to use the same channel that you set on the slave, right?
    Inkista, that's it! Thanks for commenting and asking me to check the channel/group. Now, I am able to trigger my YN565 from Nikon D80 using commander mode. Also, I am happy that I was able to fire both speedlights (Sigma and YN) at the same time using commander mode. Here are the final steps:

1. switched on the YN565 (off camera)
    2. pressed "Zoom" for 2 seconds when I saw "OFF" blink.
    3. Used RIGHT arrow to select SL (SLAVE) mode.
    4. Pressed OK button to select the option.
    5. Then again I used Zoom button to make the GROUP (A,B,C) blink and then using arrow I set it to A. Similarly, I selected channel and selected the value to 1. Pressed OK.
    6. Switched on my camera NIKON D80.
    7. Went to MENU > Built-in Flash > Commander Mode
    8. Selected the Built-in flash: TTL, Group A: TTL and Group B: -- and Channel: 1.
    9. Opened the built-in popup flash.
    10. Clicked picture.
    HURRAY, the YN flash fired wirelessly.
    ...Now to make my Sigma EX530 DG Super fire simultaneously, I just followed the steps below:
    11. Attached it to my camera Nikon D80 and then press the shutter button half way to transmit the aperture ans speed automatically.
    12. Take out the flash unit and press the MODE button on Sigma 530 and select the double bolt icon / (Slave) mode.
    13. Press the SEL button several times to make the flash output value
    indicator blink.
    14. Press the + or button to set the flash output amount.
    15. Now place the flash at desired position.
    16. Click picture.
    WAOW, both flash units fired in sync.

I will try to get my hands dirty with whole new setup and practice. Will upload a picture with two flash units soon. Thanks all for commenting and viewing. Hope the steps will help someone like me in future.
    <3 Sri
    KlickzBySri @ Flickr

ccting is offline Banned
    Taking Photo is to elicate, aim, method, measure, result, trace & improv

LOL... just press mode to C1..to optically trigger..by pop up flash.
    There is no CLS support for YN560 i believe. I tested with D90.

inkista is offline Gear Geek Girl

Glad to hear that solved the issue for you, kuul13! The YN-565EX's button sequence actually isn't that alien to a Canon user, since it's pretty much cloned from the 580EXs and 430EXs.

Quote Originally Posted by ccting View Post
    LOL... just press mode to C1..to optically trigger..by pop up flash.
    There is no CLS support for YN560 i believe. I tested with D90.
    (sigh). OP has a YN-565EX and Sigma EF-530 DG super. Both do the eTTL wireless slave thing, like a 430EX. It's NOT a YN-560.

Not to mention WTF with "just press mode to C1"?!!! The YN-560 only has M, S1, and S2.
    Last edited by inkista; 03-31-2012 at 12:21 AM.
    I shoot with a Canon 5DmkII, 50D, and S90, and Pansonic GX-7. flickr stream and equipment list

Quote Originally Posted by inkista View Post
    Glad to hear that solved the issue for you, kuul13! The YN-565EX's button sequence actually isn't that alien to a Canon user, since it's pretty much cloned from the 580EXs and 430EXs.

(sigh). OP has a YN-565EX and Sigma EF-530 DG super. Both do the eTTL wireless slave thing, like a 430EX. It's NOT a YN-560.

Not to mention WTF with "just press mode to C1"?!!! The YN-560 only has M, S1, and S2.
    Thanks Inkista again! It was not a big learning curve though.. but it is slightly different than my Sigma 530. I guess, YN is simpler and straight compared to my Sigma. Sigma has lot of control which I need to figure out. YN is straight forward and do the job good.
    <3 Sri
    KlickzBySri @ Flickr