Close
Close
Page 2 of 4 First 1234 Last
    ccting is offline Banned
    Taking Photo is to elicate, aim, method, measure, result, trace & improv

Quote Originally Posted by scootermcq View Post
    I would suggest that TTL will let you down in that sort of environment with bright skies, white sand etc. You would probably be better off learning & using manual in that sort of situation.

You will also save a ton of money on triggers if you do not rely on ttl
    Yes, at first i insisted to use TTL. That's a great mistake. I switch to manual off camera after 1 month, and I get much better control of exposure!. TTL is just unpredictable...! Manual is much better predictable and under much well control.

So forget about TTL and buy manual. Do some test shots before events, study the lighting condition & so on.

WolfHeart704 is offline dPS Forum Member

+1 on the Cactus triggers but also take a look at the Phottix Stratos. They function like the Cactus, but the flash that is still on the camera (if there is one) can still use ettl.

Edit: Its the Strato II.
    Last edited by WolfHeart704; 02-24-2012 at 02:58 AM.

inkista is offline Gear Geek Girl

Not the Strattos. The Strattos are manual. The Phottix Odins are the TTL-capable ones. But they're Tx/Rx units, not transceivers.
    I shoot with a Canon 5DmkII, 50D, and S90, and Pansonic GX-7. flickr stream and equipment list

xxpinballxx is offline dPS +1000 Club

We just got some Phottix wireless systems that will work with TTL.....real reliable and good up to 450 feet! 4 channel and each channel has separate exposure comp. control.
    D7000, D200, 18-105mm, 35mm 1.8, 85mm 1.8, 50mm 1.8G, 18-200mm, 10-20mm, 105mm 2.8, sb900, Panasonic GF2 Samsung NX100 and lenses and a ton more crap!
    RoundboyzPhotography on Flickr
    RoundboyzPhotographyBlog
    My Twitter

danbaileyphoto is offline dPS Forum Member

PocketWizard has just introduced their brand new Plus III radio triggers. Not only are they a huge step above the older, but time tested Plus II versions, they're actually about $30 cheaper than the Plus II.

If you can wait for a few more weeks, you might check these out.

Introducing the PocketWizard Plus III Radio Transceiver - Game On!! | Dan Bailey's Adventure Photography Blog

Another option is the Photoflex FlashFire triggers, they're a little less in cost and features.

In the end, though, you get what you pay for. Radio triggers are. Ot cheap, and if you want TTL control, you'll be paying premium dollar for something like th PW Flex TT1 or TT5 systems.
    Daniel H. Bailey's Adventure Photography Blog
    -Exploring the world of outdoor photography with tips, news, imagery and insight.

Become a Fan for new imagery, eBook discounts & great outdoor photography content!
    Check out my new eBook: ZEN PHOTOGRAPHER: Turning Your Passion into Focus.

brianxlt is offline Shoots from the hip.

Not that using fill flash in outdoor shoots is a bad thing, (sometime needed) but if you are on a beach/water and have models plus the thousands of $$ in pro-camera gear (from your signature) why would you not want to use reflectors rather than flashes. They will provide better lighting and control than any flash set up. If you must have flashes for the shoot why would you not want to spend the $$ for pocket wizards, unless this is the one and only time you will ever use them.
    I shoot for me - I shoot for fun.

autofocus is online now I'm old here...

why would you not want to use reflectors rather than flashes. They will provide better lighting and control than any flash set up
    Sorry, but I don't think I can agree with this..lights will offer much better and much more consistent light than reflectors. Any slight movement of a reflector will change the exposure, sometimes dramatically. Especially on the beach with it's wind, the reflector almost always becomes a sail, and is often completely unmanageable. Plus, how do you use a reflector when your subject is front lit and the light to be reflected is behind you? As a scrim at best.
    Last edited by autofocus; 02-28-2012 at 05:02 PM.
    Vince "...the law of unintended consequences, sometimes, you get a truly memorable photograph"
    Gear: Canon G2, Canon 20D, Nikon D300...bunch of lenses
    My Flickr
    www.montalbanophotography.com

brianxlt is offline Shoots from the hip.

I agree that reflectors do become sails in the wind, but a flash with almost any modifier wouldn't do much better. With a competent assistant(s) and flashes or reflectors a photographer should be able to get the lighting they need. Without assistants to hold ether one in place they would need a windless day/night or several pounds of counter weight to manage. True a front lite subject would be harder, but not impossible to use a reflector on. Using a reflector would give a closer light balance temp/color all around than a flash (except at night/dark) than flash will be required.
    I shoot for me - I shoot for fun.

Quote Originally Posted by brianxlt View Post
    I agree that reflectors do become sails in the wind, but a flash with almost any modifier wouldn't do much better. With a competent assistant(s) and flashes or reflectors a photographer should be able to get the lighting they need. Without assistants to hold ether one in place they would need a windless day/night or several pounds of counter weight to manage. True a front lite subject would be harder, but not impossible to use a reflector on. Using a reflector would give a closer light balance temp/color all around than a flash (except at night/dark) than flash will be required.
    Believe me, as "reflector boy," I've assisted my wife many times trying to hold a reflector in windy conditions and find it near impossible to get consistent results. A speedlight on a lightstand in windy conditions is far easier to stabilize by an assistant than a reflector. And as far as color balance, a speedlight is balanced to daylight - 5000-5500K, so how is a reflector better than that. Although I've never had the need to do it, but I'm sure you could throw gels on your speedlight to balance with very late afternoon sun.
    Vince "...the law of unintended consequences, sometimes, you get a truly memorable photograph"
    My Flickr

...and don't get me wrong Brian, we often do use reflectors in our work. When we can, it happens to be my wife's preference over flash. And like I said, I'm the guy that's typically holding the reflector, and aptly named "reflector boy"
    My Flickr

Page 2 of 4 First 1234 Last