Close
Close
    despairbear is offline I'm new here!

Default Colour Temperature

I am new to digital photography and want to get by with what I have if possible. I have a constant light source comprising 2x 400watt tungsten/ halogen lamps each with a colour temp of 3000K.They are R7S lamps. Does this mean that the colour temp is 6000K or still 3000K please ? I have already used them bouncing off an umbrella with very acceptable results ( by my beginners standards )
    Second question is will it be better to use a bounce technique or shoot through ?

autofocus is online now I'm old here...

Doubling the number of units doesn't change the temperature...still 3000
    Vince "...the law of unintended consequences, sometimes, you get a truly memorable photograph"
    Gear: Canon G2, Canon 20D, Nikon D300...bunch of lenses
    My Flickr
    www.montalbanophotography.com

Default Colour Temp

Thanks Autofocus-just my luck ! anything on the Bounce or Shoot through please ?

autofocus is online now I'm old here...

Quote Originally Posted by despairbear View Post
    Thanks Autofocus-just my luck ! anything on the Bounce or Shoot through please ?
    Can't really say which is better..it really depends on the quantity, quality, and the characteristic of the light you are going for. So, no real right or wrong
    Vince "...the law of unintended consequences, sometimes, you get a truly memorable photograph"
    Gear: Canon G2, Canon 20D, Nikon D300...bunch of lenses
    My Flickr
    www.montalbanophotography.com

Elmo is offline Almost as Old as Dirt

Color temperature equals color of light. So if you bounce the light it picks up some of the color of the surface reflected off of. Same for shoot through except it picks even more of the objects color.

Elmo is offline Almost as Old as Dirt

I might also add changing voltage to lamp changes color temp. So normal power line variances change the color temp.

Default Colour Temp

Thanks for that Guys. I am now looking at changing the lamps but the only option I have for voltage change is to 110v from 240v.. However, LED lamps are a possibility and some are 5600K but the power of these is reduced . I am having to photo Ladies Fashions for my wife's business on-line. So the only pics I will need to take are clothes on a live but mostly dummy model. Can anyone please tell me what is the minimum wattage you think I need for this task in incandescent terms and the I can convert it to lumens.Only then can I decide which LED will do the job
    Last edited by despairbear; 02-20-2012 at 11:59 AM. Reason: addition