Close
Close
    Elisha Frey is offline I'm new here!

Default Looking for lighting suggestions

I am looking for some advice on how to position my lights and reflectors to get the best shot possible. I am planning a shoot where the woman will be au naturale. It will a head shot mostly but I want to make her feel and look beautiful. I have heard that beauty dishes are great for this sort of thing but that is not currently in my arsenal. Not yet anyway. Any advice on positioning of the light/reflectors or any thing else would be appreciated. Thank you in advance!

Gear-
    Lighting- Elinchrom Style 500/500 BXRi To Go Kit, two soft boxes and one large octobox (only two lights)
    Backdrop- one in black and one in white
    Reflector- 5 in one, large

Elisha Frey

zona5101 is online now Molon Labe

Clamshell lighting would be an excellent choice for a headshot/head and shoulders shot.

guy with camera: Clamshell lighting
    Clamshell Lighting for a Glamourous Headshot | LIGHTING ESSENTIALS For Photographers

I think these two links show umbrellas in one or both of the light positions but you can do it with 2 soft boxes...you can also do it with one light and a reflector.

Elisha Frey is offline I'm new here!

Thank you. I have never positioned my light like that before but it makes a lot of sense. And thank you for the links. That helped as well. Have a great day!!!

timiroberts is offline dPS Forum Member

I agree with the clamshell. You can also do a "modified" clamshell in that you just use the one softbox slightly above the camera and have the model hold a reflector at about chest level to fill shadows under the eyes, nose and chin. You can then position the other soft box directly behind the subject (pointing at the camera) and use that to achieve a blown out background look.
    example: