Close
Close
    jgomez65 is offline dPS Forum Member

Default Lux Meter vs Light Meter

I am in the process of looking for a light meter. I found several places offering something called Lux Meter. I think it measures light brightness, however I am not sure if that meter can be used to select the propper apperture settings,

Anyone with experience using a lux meter can please tell me if it is worth buying it and also if it can be used instead of a regular light meter for propper apperture settings?

Thanks
    Seeing the world one picture at the time
    My Flickr

LoveDSLR is offline dPS +1000 Club

I used a Lux meter to setup TV studio lights in the past.

Nelson Clark is offline I'm new here!

LUX meters are used for determining the level of continuous lighting in buildings and such and sometimes in theater productions when a uniform level of light is needed from several sources of lights. For cinema, photography and television, we all use light meters wish have computers that will calculate shutter speed and aperture based on the light levels. In photography, we also need to have a flash function that will give you the correct aperture to use for the flash intensity.

So the short answer is get a light meter with flash support not a LUX meter.

jgomez65 is offline dPS Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nelson Clark View Post
    LUX meters are used for determining the level of continuous lighting in buildings and such and sometimes in theater productions when a uniform level of light is needed from several sources of lights. For cinema, photography and television, we all use light meters wish have computers that will calculate shutter speed and aperture based on the light levels. In photography, we also need to have a flash function that will give you the correct aperture to use for the flash intensity.

So the short answer is get a light meter with flash support not a LUX meter.
    Thank you, that is exactly what I need it to hear. You explained it very clear.
    Seeing the world one picture at the time
    My Flickr