Close
Close
    Rhubarb is offline I'm new here!

Default Aerial photography settings?

I like to take photos of mountains from a small plane. I was flying last week and it was bright and sunny and there was lots of snow on the mountain tops. Perfect I thought.
    I set the Canon 7 camera on ISO 100 and the shutterspeed at 1/1200 of a sec. Most of my photos are not sharp. Do I need a faster shutter speed? Does a high shutter speed with low ISO affect resolution? I need help.
    Thank you
    Peggy

RichardTaylor is offline dPS +1000 Club

Were you shooting through a glass window?

High shutter speed and low ISO doesn't affect resolution.

sk66 is online now Lovable Contrarian

Do not let the camera, or your hand/arm holding it, rest against any part of the airplane.

Rhubarb is offline I'm new here!

Hi Richard,
    I was shooting through glass. And I was not resting against the plane or the glass. Today, I tried again at 1/2000 of a second and 400 ISO. No movement this time, but noisy and looked weird - color not good even though sunny and snow was nice and white. Kinda blocky looking. I am tearing my hair out. Am I using too short a shutter speed now?

Elfstop is offline I'm new here!

Quote Originally Posted by Rhubarb View Post
    Hi Richard,
    I was shooting through glass. And I was not resting against the plane or the glass. Today, I tried again at 1/2000 of a second and 400 ISO. No movement this time, but noisy and looked weird - color not good even though sunny and snow was nice and white. Kinda blocky looking. I am tearing my hair out. Am I using too short a shutter speed now?

Heres a thought...try different settings while you are up there and find the one that works...so far you have tried 2.

sk66 is online now Lovable Contrarian

The plexiglass aircraft windows are made of can do weird things to the light coming thru it...

Jim Bryant is offline Stoned Cold Crazy
    2nd star to the left and straight on until morning

SOn't worry about your DOP that much, need to use a higher/highest shutter speed to stop Vibration from the plane or helo you're flying in.
    http://pa.photoshelter.com/c/jimbryant
    http://jimbryantphotography.blogspot.com/
    (1) EOS 1D MKIII (3) EOS 1D's, (3) EOS1D MKIIs', (1) EOS1Ds MKII, 14mmf2.8, 16-35mmf2.8, 28-70mmf2.8, 70-200mm f2.8, 300mm f2.8 and a 400mmf2.8, (4) 550 EX and 1 580E speedlite, and a Speed a tron studio flash system.

navcom is offline Out staring at the sun

What focal length are you shooting at? With a long focal length coupled with the a/c vibration, it may be near impossible without stabilization equipment. Just depends on how much vibration you are dealing with and how far you are zoomed in.

Can you post an example along with the EXIF data?

Jeff
    Landscapes and Light Painting, Nikon and Pentax equipment
    Eagle Vista Studio - Light Painting - Getting Started With Sunrise Photography
    "Anybody can make the simple complicated. Creativity is making the complicated simple." Charlie Mingus