Close
Close
    smudged-blue is offline dPS Forum Member

Question needing landscape tips

Hi, I have a few questions in regards to landscapes. Sorry if these questions have been asked many times already, tried doing a search just getting more confused.

I have friends who live on 2000 acres of farmland (with sheep and cattle), I had just recently mentioned to them I enjoy photography, they have offered for me to go out any time and to photograph what ever I like around the property. I have said I would give them some prints of what I capture (providing I get a good enough result's).

They tell me of beautiful areas around the place, of a particular tree that has grown all twisted, farmland of rolling hills, wombat holes near ferns and waterholes, of the sunsets behind a row of pine trees and of the very larger number of red and green dragonfly's that hover over the dams, just to name a few of the opportunities.

Ok so I usually like to take close-up photograph's to capture all the details, fill the frame with the subject and I've not taken any landscape type photograph's before. So my questions are,

what sort of things do I need to keep an eye out for with landscapes? Can I still get good results with out filters? I only have a UV filter, am I best to use or not use it? Would I benefit from using my tripod? As I like to get close up with things am I best to make sure I don't always "zoom" right in (a bad habit I have)? Does a particular lens give a better result? Any tips at all? Sorry for the "simple" questions, landscapes are a whole new world to me.
    Thanks.

Edit - Forgot to mention that it's summer here in Australia, if that helps to know.
    "Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away" - author unknown

My greatest Loves- My husband, our 3 boy's, animals, my canon EOS 650D, my canon EFs 18-55mm, EFs 18-135mm, EF 50mm and EF90-300mm lens, my speedlite 320EX and creating with prisma premier colored pencils.

RichardTaylor is offline dPS +1000 Club

With landscapes it is the light.
    That means being there at the right time of day, usually around first light to an hour or two after sunrise (at the most) and around dusk. Also a better chance of seeing wildlife at these times.
    If you are lucky enough to have storm light/ground fog etc almost anytime if the day will
    be fine

When shooting try to have a foreground, middleground and background, in your composition.

Never ever use a UV filter, unless shooting in conditions where the lens may be damaged.
    All they do is degrade the image,.
    Filters to think about are;
    Polariser
    ND grad
    Grad, especially if there is moving water about.

Tripods, at the very least, will make you slow down and think about what you are shooting.
    They also give you more exposure options.

A standard zoom will meet a lot of of your landscape needs.
    After using one for a while you will know if you want an ultra wide.
    Last edited by RichardTaylor; 12-09-2012 at 05:27 AM.

Thanks Richard for your helpful reply.

I thought I'd head out there for the an afternoon/dusk, so I won't be to much of an inconvenience, don't think they will want me there for sunrise even if they do get up early for farm work (they have just over 900 head of sheep ).

They had also mentioned they get paddocks full of kangaroo's so hopeful may get to see them.

Interesting about the UV filter, I brought it to help protect my lens and the sales man told me to leave it on at all times, that I wouldn't need any other filters. So guess I'll start be selective on when to use that (just worry about scratching my lens).

Landscapes sure do seem like a whole new ball game, they sound very challenging.
    "Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away" - author unknown

My greatest Loves- My husband, our 3 boy's, animals, my canon EOS 650D, my canon EFs 18-55mm, EFs 18-135mm, EF 50mm and EF90-300mm lens, my speedlite 320EX and creating with prisma premier colored pencils.

Krusty79 is offline Not in Service

GREG - Canon XS with 10-22, 18-55 & 55-250.
    flickr
    flickriver
    My 500px
    "You can't be young forever, but you can always be immature." - Larry Andersen.

Thanks for the links Krusty79, I have done searches in both the forums and in DPS articles but had not come across these ones, I have a lens hood for my EF-S 18-135mm IS STM lens, yet to get a lens hood for my other lenses.

Thanks muchly, I'm off to do more reading . Haven't made any arrangements to go out there yet until I'm comfortable I've researched enough first.

Sbonakoski is offline I'm new here!

Quote Originally Posted by smudged-blue View Post

Thanks muchly, I'm off to do more reading . Haven't made any arrangements to go out there yet until I'm comfortable I've researched enough first.

Don't put too much pressure on yourself to get the perfect shot. Have fun! If you don't get the exact results you're hoping for, at least you'll become more familiar with the landscape and It sounds as these folks would be happy to have you back a 2nd time. Landscape photography is my personal favorite, although I am an amateur with my newest camera, and I always like a 'test shoot', if you will.

Hill Country Hack is offline dPS +1000 Club

One of my favorites is shooting landscapes. I would suggest going to the location in the middle of the day without the camera and scout around. Find a location or two only as to preclude rushing about trying to get it all in. Walk around your choices looking for angles and interesting compositions. Got back at the proper time and try to create what your mind's eye as seen.

Here are a few more links after a quick Google search "landscape tip digital photography school"

http://digital-photography-school.co...pe-photography

http://digital-photography-school.co...ern-washington

http://digital-photography-school.co...greater-impact