Close
Close
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    SteveFromOhio is online now They think I have talent.

Default Path in Snowstorm

Into the Unknown

Camera Fujifilm FinePix S1500
    Exposure 0.001 sec (1/800)
    Aperture f/3.3
    Focal Length 24.7 mm
    ISO Speed 100

I need to learn how to take shots that make an emotional connection with people. So with that in mind, does this make you feel anything? And if not, what should I have done differently?

Any other critiques are appreciated as well. I know I've got a long ways to go.

Thanks.
    Steve
    These are the best days of your life. Don't look back and realize you've missed them.
    -------------------
    Flickr

BPhil8835 is online now Finding beautiful places

It would help if we knew what your object was in taking the shot and what you felt about the scene that caused you to make the image. What did you wish to convey to the viewer?
    Phil Bunker
    Sites: flickr
    Gear: Pentax K110D; Pentax 18-55 f/3.5-5.6; Pentax 50-200 f/4-5.6; Tamron Macro 90mm f/2.8; Manfrotto tripod and ball head; Adobe Photoshop Elements 10

zoomclickboom is offline I'm new here!

Nice shot! Personally I like it as it is . Trees converge nicely forming a path, then comes the wall and finally the eye is driven to infinity. I like it because all these happen gradually and in good proportion. There is a symmetry in everything. Road - sky and left with right. Everything leads to the centre!!
    The feeling I get is infinity and loneliness with a bit of wildness of the rough winter.
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    More on my website zoomclickboom.co.uk

Check my photos on flickr

mypobox is offline I'm new here!

I like the picture.

BexJarratt is offline dPS Forum Member

Did you try any shots with a vertical orientation? I think the tall dark trees and whited out destination would feel more foreboding if the height of the trees and the narrowness of the path were emphasised.
    Samsung NX5 14.2MP (MILC or CSC) with 18-55mm kit lens. +1, +2, +3 and +10 close up lens. 50-200mm zoom lens. Sigma APO DG 70-300mm (pentax mount with adapter)
    Olympus Mju 790SW Tough P+S
    Husband: "Depth of field calculator? Does that tell you how far down your potatoes are?"

SteveFromOhio is online now They think I have talent.

Sorry for the delay. I spent all of last night engaged in parenthood.

Quote Originally Posted by BPhil8835 View Post
    It would help if we knew what your object was in taking the shot and what you felt about the scene that caused you to make the image. What did you wish to convey to the viewer?
    When I took this I was looking for something kind of dark and gloomy. I wanted the end of the bridge to be obscured so that you couldn't see what was ahead of you. I guess I was trying to provoke a dreadful feeling of being on a path of no return. (I was in a good mood that day. )

Now, when I started working on this the snow went to white and that put more of a positive spin to the shot than I was looking for. I thought the shot was good enough to stand on it's own, though.

Quote Originally Posted by zoomclickboom View Post
    Nice shot! Personally I like it as it is . Trees converge nicely forming a path, then comes the wall and finally the eye is driven to infinity. I like it because all these happen gradually and in good proportion. There is a symmetry in everything. Road - sky and left with right. Everything leads to the centre!!
    The feeling I get is infinity and loneliness with a bit of wildness of the rough winter.
    Quote Originally Posted by mypobox View Post
    I like the picture.
    Thank you both.

Quote Originally Posted by BexJarratt View Post
    Did you try any shots with a vertical orientation? I think the tall dark trees and whited out destination would feel more foreboding if the height of the trees and the narrowness of the path were emphasised.
    Kind of. I took a couple but the squall had blown through by then, so they aren't really the same shot as this. But, if I did this right, here's the original picture cropped vertically and the best one of the vertical shots (non processed).Dec 26 storm 002take1verticalscaled.jpg

Dec 26 storm 008scaled.jpg
    These are the best days of your life. Don't look back and realize you've missed them.
    -------------------
    Flickr

sk66 is online now Lovable Contrarian

IMO, the problem is that the sky and the road are the same color. There is no distinction as to what's "happening." I think for this to work you needed to have a much heavier/obvious snowfall occurring. The vertical crop is a bit better.

Linnea is offline dPS Forum Member

I love the composition, the horizontal crop and the framing of this photo. I think the horizontal crop works quite well as it's something different from what you normally would see in photos like this.

But I also have some ideas how you could improve this shot even further. Even though I said that the horizontal crop works I think you need to crop it even further. It's a bit too much at the bottom so if you get rid of that and maybe a bit at the top as well, and you'll get a nice panoramic sort of crop that would work really well. I also believe that the snow is a bit too white, with too much information lost. So I wonder, is this as shot or did you brighten it? And did you shoot in RAW? Because if you did you might be able to save some details in the snow. Otherwise I would suggest a slight darkening of the snow in general, because now it's like ffffff white and it's really bright for my eyes to look at.
    Photography student with a burning passion for wildlife and nature.
    Canon EOS 60D
    Sigma DC 18-250mm f/3.5-6.3 | Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 | Metz 36 AF-5 + other accessories
    Follow me on: Facebook | deviantArt | dayviews | Flickr | ViewBug

deepstar is offline I'm new here!

Default Little Bright ?

I like the overall effect .... but wonder if it could not be more "moody" if it was not just as bright .... Specifically the "light at the end of the tunnel"

Wish I had taken such a "bad" pic

Tim

Krusty79 is online now You kids get off my lawn!

Cool shot. I think it would have more impact if there was someone walking down the path. There is also a little too much white in the foreground for my taste. I think I would have moved closer to the bridge.
    GREG - Canon XS with 10-22, 18-55 & 55-250.
    flickr
    flickriver
    My 500px
    "You can't be young forever, but you can always be immature." - Larry Andersen.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last