Close
Close
    ravncat is offline Friendly Astrophysicist

Default Fushimi Inari in the Snow

Hey all,
    Here's an image taken in the late afternoon a bit in the mountains at about 3pm with overcast skies, it doesn't get alot of direct lighting because of the treetops and angle of the geometry.

D700 20mm at f5.6, 1/120th iso 800 (no tripod) Processed via lightroom, some slight cropping and angle change.

Looking for comments on Composition and Framing. How are the tones? And how is the color balance? Also, what emotions or ideas does it bring to you? (Curious to see if I was able to reflect my thoughts or not, I can't tell you what I think because it will influence you to know.)

(Edit 2, still too big, will fix this later, have to run)
    Last edited by ravncat; 02-22-2012 at 12:43 AM. Reason: size

Krusty79 is offline You kids get off my lawn!

Cool shot. It didn't look real to me at first because of seeing all of that red in the forest. I like the composition and feel like the steps are leading to some sort of enlightened place. I wonder if seeing a figure walking up the steps would help bring a human aspect to the image?

The colors do look a little underexposed to me, but that's probably because of the bright snow fooling the meter. I can't really tell if the verticals are vertical here, because almost everything seems to be leaning. Maybe some barrel distortion?
    GREG - Canon XS with 10-22, 18-55 & 55-250.
    flickr
    flickriver
    My 500px
    "You can't be young forever, but you can always be immature." - Larry Andersen.

jimhuntphoto is offline dPS Forum Member

To me it seems off. Were you trying rule of thirds? I would've shot it dead on but filled the frame as much as possible. Maybe a bit dark but I dont mind that.

Quote Originally Posted by Krusty79 View Post
    I wonder if seeing a figure walking up the steps would help bring a human aspect to the image?
    Humans would definitely add to the scale of the gates. I often choose to shoot without people (there were plenty around). Do you think a human aspect would help? What about other viewers? I am very interested in the why behind this.

The colors do look a little underexposed to me.
    Could be, I probably should have given more exposure, it's definitely back lit, I think the sky is brighter than the snow by alot. I should perhaps have used spot metering here.

I can't really tell if the verticals are vertical here?
    That's partially true, There's alot of geometric distortion going on, 20mm is very wide, and I am looking up, couple that with looking along a slope (upwards) against a slop (left to right) There's no real horizontal, and not all of the trees are vertical. I did rotate this, choosing the horizontal of the steps, to be horizontal), and use the lens correction in lightroom. I wonder If I should choose a different point, or actually attempt to correct the vertical perspective on this.

Cool shot. I like the composition and feel like the steps are leading to some sort of enlightened place.
    Thanks for taking the time to critique, and the compliments. As a bit of an aside, Mountains often had strong connection to gods (and sometimes where gods lived) in Japan. The Torii gates here going up to the top of the mountain also represented (and still do to practicing shinto) a path into the spirit realm.

Quote Originally Posted by foteck View Post
    To me it seems off. Were you trying rule of thirds? I would've shot it dead on but filled the frame as much as possible. Maybe a bit dark but I dont mind that.
    Can you explain how it seems off? I was not trying rule of thirds.

Quote Originally Posted by foteck View Post
    I would've shot it dead on but filled the frame as much as possible. Maybe a bit dark but I dont mind that.
    You mean the gate by it? (filling the frame with the gate, and centering the gate ?)
    Yeah, I will adjust the brightness in reprocessing, it is a little dark.

Thanks for your critique.

Doug Sundseth is offline Not quite older than dirt

Beautiful scene.

I don't mind the exposure; I think it works to represent the scene pretty well. (Of course I wasn't there, so .... )

I think your choice of level is very defensible. If you haven't tried it, I might try leveling the top of the nearest gate just to see how it looks.

I wish you had shot from about 3 inches to the right of where you did. That would have avoided cropping the tip of the second gate with the post of the nearest one.

White balance looks a little blue to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Sundseth View Post
    I think your choice of level is very defensible. If you haven't tried it, I might try leveling the top of the nearest gate just to see how it looks.
    Tried that first thing, the diagonal tree on the left gets really diagonal, the steps also, it really gives an even more off balance feeling.

I wish you had shot from about 3 inches to the right of where you did. That would have avoided cropping the tip of the second gate with the post of the nearest one.
    Absolutely right! Doh! I didn't notice that when I chose this exposure, luckily I have one that is! (The last one i shot with 20mm.) Good catch there, it's hard to see everything at that angle sometimes, now I wish I had noticed that with my 35mm shot. Looks like I'll do my reprocessing on that shot instead.

(It amazes me sometimes just how different two shots taken inches apart with the same lens can look, especially in the wide angle world)

White balance looks a little blue to me.
    I thought it looked to yellow and added alot of blue - maybe too much - there's definitely a gradient with that mountain shadow on the right third of the frame. I really should've taken a custom white balance there.

Beautiful scene.
    Thanks for saying, and the critique as well. Part of me wishes this was something I could easily reshoot. I've been so out of practice lately.
    Last edited by ravncat; 02-23-2012 at 02:16 AM.

Thanks for all your help and advice so far, It's helped me get a better handle on this image. While I'd like to reshoot, I can't for weather reasons... Here's where the image is now.

Krusty79 is offline You kids get off my lawn!

Quote Originally Posted by ravncat View Post
    Humans would definitely add to the scale of the gates. I often choose to shoot without people (there were plenty around). Do you think a human aspect would help? What about other viewers? I am very interested in the why behind this.
    I try not to say that every time someone submits a shot of a path or road. I think in this case, it would add a human element, provide a sense of scale and give the viewer a focal point.

That looks like an interesting place to visit. I am of Japanese descent, but have never been to Japan.
    GREG - Canon XS with 10-22, 18-55 & 55-250.
    flickr
    flickriver
    My 500px
    "You can't be young forever, but you can always be immature." - Larry Andersen.