Close
Close
    rspears is offline The Wedding Guy

Default The Reluctant Groom - Composite Image

Here is a composite image that I put together from some portraits I took after the ceremony on Saturday.

The church picture was taken several months ago. It is the San Fernando Cathedral in downtown San Antonio Texas. You can see the original image here on flickr: San Fernando Cathedral | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

The original picture of the bride and groom was taken at a city park in South San Antonio. original_small | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

I was using a Nikon D700 with a 24-70mm f2.8
    Exposure 0.001 sec (1/800)
    Aperture f/8.0
    Focal Length 45 mm
    ISO Speed 800
    Exposure Bias 0 EV

I came up with this idea for the shot last week when I was scouting locations for the portraits. Both the bride and groom were fun people, and said they wanted to try it.

How I put it together:
    I cooked the original bride and groom image a little using Joel Grimes "edgy technique" which involves opening as a smart object, then copy it via layer. On the second image, I created a black and white version, and then chose overlay as the blending method. (this gives a very contrasty edgy look.) then I flattened the image, and created another copy. I created a Gaussean Blur, chose overlay, and then adjusted the layer opacity to taste. I flattened the layers again, and created a new duplicate. I created a High Pass filter layer at 4px, and then blended again as an overlay. I decreased the saturation a little on the whole image.

I created my cut-out using the quick selection tool, and cleaned it up with Refine Selection. I put the church behind the couple, and then sized it so that the perspective looked right.

I wasn't happy with the colors, so I used a levels adjustment so that the two layers matched.

I did a free-hand sketch of the scratch marks and gave it some random noise to make it look messy. I added a little blood, but thought that was a little too much, so I took most of it out. I lowered the opacity of the scratch mark layer to make it look a little more realistic.

I'm pretty happy with the composite. It may not look 100% realistic, but it was just for fun, and I have a feeling this will end up as a print on the bride and groom's wall. The only part I'm not happy about (but nothing I can do about it now, is that you can't see clearly that the bride is holding him up by the feet... We had been standing out in the cold doing portraits for 30 minutes, and she was freezing. She had put his jacket around her to try and warm up. Since her patience was getting thin, I didn't ask them to do different versions of the shot. When I checked the image on my camera, I only checked the expression on his face, which was what I wanted. Oh well...

I welcome comments and questions. Yes, Pixelgun feel free to tell me what's wrong with it.
    Rich Spears www.rspearsphotography.com
    Blog | Flickr | Zenfolio
    Nikon D3s, D700, Nikon 24-70mm f/2.8, 70-200mm f/2.8, 50mm f/1.8, 85mm 1.8

uavmx is offline dPS Forum Member

awesome, fun and different. Cool idea, that's awesome that they were up for it. Looks very good, can't tell it's a composite.
    So Much To Learn....
    D90
    18-200 VRII, 105mm DC f2, 35mm 1.8G
    2x SB-700
    055CXPRO3 with 468MGRC2 with "M" Plate

Tito87 is online now dPS +1000 Club

Very creative. Thanks for sharing and explaining.

I wasn't born to follow, nor was I born to lead; I was merely born to choose-- and choose...I did.

rspears is offline The Wedding Guy

Quote Originally Posted by uavmx View Post
    awesome, fun and different. Cool idea, that's awesome that they were up for it. Looks very good, can't tell it's a composite.
    On a composite, that's the best compliment ever!! thank you! we did have fun.
    Rich Spears www.rspearsphotography.com
    Blog | Flickr | Zenfolio
    Nikon D3s, D700, Nikon 24-70mm f/2.8, 70-200mm f/2.8, 50mm f/1.8, 85mm 1.8

RichardTaylor is online now dPS +1000 Club

A great idea that is very well executed.

Love it!
    + big smile.

Str8loco1 is offline I'm new here!

Being that these are two pictures, I think you did an excellent job at matching the colors. Great pic!

CB418 is offline I'm new here!

Love it, very fun and creative and I'm sure the bride and groom will love it as well. Very well done. I didn't realize you couldn't clearly see the bride holding his feet until I read your description. The scratch marks and the look on the groom's face distracted me from it, so I think you may be the only one that doesn't notice it.